Layla - Tedeschi Trucks Band

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    My comment was maybe a bit flippant, it's not something I feel very strongly about...  I've never really cared for part 2 of the original and this Tedeschi Trucks version is, frankly, easier on the ear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 242
    Philly_Q said:
    My comment was maybe a bit flippant, it's not something I feel very strongly about...  I've never really cared for part 2 of the original and this Tedeschi Trucks version is, frankly, easier on the ear.
    Go listen to the whole album. There’s a few songs that just work really well. Especially Bell Bottom Blues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    I much prefer the live derek and the dominoes album tbh. Clapton is awesome on that, with righteous strat tone, as are the band. I'm not a fan of the studio album.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    JezWynd said:

It is a great performance, but better than the original? I don't think so. Trucks guitar playing is skilled but lacks the emotional weight of Clapton's original. It's especially apparent when it segues into Pt 2 - Clapton's playing is full of physical yearning, Trucks is just a cool slide solo with little emotional weight. A song like Layla, that you've heard a million times in every situation from the supermarket stroll to Radio 2 playlist can lose its power to astonish but it is an astonishing piece of music. Seeing Tedeschi Trucks performance (good as it is) just made me realise how good the original was and still is.
    I didn't like this version, but then I regard the original as an unsurpassed masterpiece and don't hear the slide guitar as "out of tune" in the way a lot of people seem to...

I much prefer the live derek and the dominoes album tbh. Clapton is awesome on that, with righteous strat tone, as are the band.
    I don't like that album either - too much self-indulgent soloing. The Strat tone is good, but did you know it's a Sunn Coliseum Lead solid-state amp? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ICBM said:

I didn't like this version, but then I regard the original as an unsurpassed masterpiece and don't hear the slide guitar as "out of tune" in the way a lot of people seem to...

Me neither, it sounds perfect for the mood.

This one might be out of tune, but again, perfect for the mood...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    @ICBM I was waiting for you to find this thread.  ;)
    Philly_Q said:
    I hesitated for a long time when I saw the title, to be honest. I thought I knew what I was going to find, and I wasn't wrong.

I've said it before, but there are only two kinds of people in the world... those who get the end section of Layla, and those who don't. :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I hesitated for a long time when I saw the title, to be honest. I thought I knew what I was going to find, and I wasn't wrong.

I've said it before, but there are only two kinds of people in the world... those who get the end section of Layla, and those who don't. :)
    I don't think there's anyone in the thread that doesn't 'get' the end of Layla - it's phenomenal. I think what Tedeschi and Trucks have done is pretty remarkable if you think about it. Take an amazing record - give it new breath and not take away from it at all. There's so many 'tributes to' and 'reimaginings' that just fall apart.

Don't think this one does.
    Kent747 said:

I don't think there's anyone in the thread that doesn't 'get' the end of Layla - it's phenomenal.
    The people who go on about it being 'out of tune'. It isn't - it's pitch being used in an expressive way that doesn't stick to the chromatic scale.

Kent747 said:

I think what Tedeschi and Trucks have done is pretty remarkable if you think about it. Take an amazing record - give it new breath and not take away from it at all. There's so many 'tributes to' and 'reimaginings' that just fall apart.

I think it does. The solo in the first part is a complete mess, and the end section is boring and tedious - even though technically well-played in terms of being 'in tune'. The whole thing is well-played but completely soulless, for me.

I've really tried to like this band and get what it is that people see in them, but I should probably just give up. There are clearly two types of people for this too!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited July 2021
    ICBM said:

Kent747 said:

I think what Tedeschi and Trucks have done is pretty remarkable if you think about it. Take an amazing record - give it new breath and not take away from it at all. There's so many 'tributes to' and 'reimaginings' that just fall apart.

I think it does. The solo in the first part is a complete mess, and the end section is boring and tedious - even though technically well-played in terms of being 'in tune'. The whole thing is well-played but completely soulless, for me.

I've really tried to like this band and get what it is that people see in them, but I should probably just give up. There are clearly two types of people for this too!
    I find Tedeschi Trucks a bit disappointing. Trucks' solo work was diverse and surprising, Tedeschi's solo work was first class soul blues. Bit of a shame, to me, that the combination has produced a slightly middle of the road jam band,  Tedeschi in particular seems under used ( from what I've seen anyway). However, immaculately played slightly middle of the road jam band I'd still love to see them live. 

Layla is one of those songs that has become dull by over exposure so some credit to Tedeschi Trucks that I sat through and enjoyed a 9 minute video of it. There is an energy there and it goes beyond blues wankery which is always the risk. It's an interpretation which involves one of the finest living slide guitarists who will have been capable of playing it with or without the microtones; Trucks would think you were barmy if you said he was trying to correct Allman's original playing!* 

Derek Trucks was of course named after Derek and the Dominoes ( the Trucks bit the same as Butch Trucks his uncle in the Allman Brothers) and has carried out the Duane Allman role in later versions of the Allman Brothers so I think he has some claim to have a go at these tunes.     

*edit - collective You I didn't mean anyone in particular
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Kent747 said:

I don't think there's anyone in the thread that doesn't 'get' the end of Layla - it's phenomenal.
    The people who go on about it being 'out of tune'. It isn't - it's pitch being used in an expressive way that doesn't stick to the chromatic scale.

Kent747 said:

I'm not a Tedeschi Trucks defender - find it all boring, just pleased by the album here. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    I'd love to see them live!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Philly_Q said:
    This is, dare I say it, better than the original.
    Behave yourself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Not bad for old fart music. 

I always like two drummers, so that first bit was fun. i made it through to 7:25 before it starting getting repetitious. The slide player has a very vocal quality which. find appealing. I suspect over 8 or 16 bars in a good song it's pretty sublime. Stretched out over the Mills and Boon section of Layla... not so much. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Really great version. And Trucks finally looks old enough to have got that good at guitar without making deals at crossroads… :D 

And now I wanted a posher, older SG…

That SG sounds magnificent. Let's add it to the tens of thousands of vintage Gibson guitars that are worthy of the golden era tag.

Also. Derek has no need to seach for a pick material  that has the warmth and tone of his own fingernails. He has figured out that the answer is:  His own fingernails.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    ICBM said:
    The whole thing is well-played but completely soulless, for me.

I saw them shortly before lockdown. Technically very proficient, but agree about lacking a bit of soul. IMHO not ‘completely souless’ and a few stunning solos from Mr Trucks, but certainly not as soulful as I’d expected. I think that once you have a band of eleven people (or however many it is) then there’s necessarily a certain amount of ‘ensemble’ playing and less room for the band as a whole to improvise.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    edited July 2021
    Come on people. It’s a nice tribute but not a patch on the original with Claptons longing vocals and heart on their sleeve playing.