Does anyone have/had an Emerald X20 carbon fibre dreadnought and what's it like?

What's Hot
DavidRDavidR Frets: 728
Nuff said in the title really!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    They are pretty specialized, and I can't imagine many will have them here.

Have you tried asking the same question at the AGF?
  • It’s not an x20… but I have recently purchased a Chimaera. And it’s awesome. If you’re close by you’re welcome to come and have a play. I’m in Dunstable, Bedfordshire
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    The lighting engineer for my band has 4 different models of Emerald X and I have played all of them. They are stunning, just effortless to play and sound so even and vibrant. 
    My fave is the one with midi built in as you can hook it up to any midi module and get a huge sound. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    When I first saw this thread I assumed it was for one of those so-so carbon-fibre bodied travel guitars you see advertised.

How wrong I was - I looked at their website and they look superbly different. Not cheap but seemingly high quality instruments.

I'm now thinking about a lefty nylon-strung version. They even do a harp guitar. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 728
    Yes they seem to be a cut above the usual. Have hankered after a carbon fibre instrument for a year or two. The future? Or will we always love wood? Big word 'always'.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    I thought hard about buying one not so long ago; I particularly liked the idea of the X20-7, a seven-string fan-fret model that might go very nicely as a companion to my existing baritone. I've listened to lots of Emeralds on Youtube, and so far as I can tell they have a good sound. But is it a sound I'd grow to love? It's a lot of money to plonk down just on guesswork.

There is one particular video done by a chap with an Emerald and two well-known wooden guitars, a Taylor and a Martin, doing everything he can to make a fair comparison. Let's see if I can find it .... Yep:  It runs half an hour, and is worth it.

Tannin said:
    I've listened to lots of Emeralds on Youtube, and so far as I can tell they have a good sound. But is it a sound I'd grow to love? It's a lot of money to plonk down just on guesswork.
    I guess that's my problem too - the YouTube videos sound very good but spending £3k+ on something so different without trying one first is another matter.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    Why am I suddenly reminded of those nature documentaries where there is a big flock of penguins standing on an iceberg, each one waiting for one of the others to dive into the water first 'coz they don't know whether it's full of yummy fish to eat, or a Leopard Seal waiting for a tasty penguin?
    Tannin said:
    Why am I suddenly reminded of those nature documentaries where there is a big flock of penguins standing on an iceberg, each one waiting for one of the others to dive into the water first 'coz they don't know whether it's full of yummy fish to eat, or a Leopard Seal waiting for a tasty penguin?
    Many penguins have already dived in. However, with something costing so much money and being so different in construction to conventional acoustics, I'd really like to try one first hand (even if it was right-handed) before taking the plunge myself.

Looking at Reverb, they do seem to hold quite a good value on the used market which takes the risk out of it a bit.

Work! (In a strong scouse accent) -  phonetic penguin speak, inspired by the early Batman films :-)
  • In the process of buying an x-30 to go with the Chimaera I bought a few months ago. I played it on Thursday night and was amazed at the volume and tone of it. Completely different tone to my 2003 Taylor 414 Ltd. and for a jumbo that looks huge it’s so comfortable to play. Can’t wait to pay for it and pick it up on Tuesday. 
    In the process of buying an x-30 to go with the Chimaera I bought a few months ago. I played it on Thursday night and was amazed at the volume and tone of it. Completely different tone to my 2003 Taylor 414 Ltd. and for a jumbo that looks huge it’s so comfortable to play. Can’t wait to pay for it and pick it up on Tuesday. 
    As a penguin waiting for a significant birthday, can you keep us updated on how you get on with it Erefor? Did you have a good buying experience? If you tried an X20, did you notice much difference in tone between the X20 and X30?

Congrats. The X30 looks tempting and I don't have/have never had a jumbo, so that might cover two needs. Main fascination was radical design and looks though. They're just gorgeous. To the extent that I would take a punt on the tone and buy without playing first for once. 
  • Both of the emeralds I will own I have bough secondhand. The x30 was purchased new in May 2021 and has barely been played. I’ve noticed tried the x20 but think it’s a similar body shape as the chimaera. As I mentioned previously if you want to try one and are passing central Bedfordshire feel free to drop in. 

That really is so kind. I have messaged you via FB.