Looking for a pedal size amp recommendation

What's Hot
G4peiG4pei Frets: 7
I currently play a Fuchs ODS Classic so I'm not looking to replace that! I just want something to fall back on should I ever get an amp failure at a gig.

Just trying to cut through the sales stuff online and ask if anyone has experience of pedal sized amps and can recommend anything? It looks like the Seymour Duncan comes out on type generally but I'd really like some feedback from the community.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited July 2021
    I've got a Quilter microblock but I tried to find a link and it might have been discontinued. It's about the size of a packet of fags and can easily drive a 2x12 to gig volumes.  It's way better than it should be and I've earmarked one of the bigger Quilters (lol, they're all physically small) for my next amp if my Orange CR120 dies.

Or, if you're interested I've got an Orange micro Terror which can also do the same.  It's not a great sounding amp, it's literally a Get-Out-of-Jail amp that can live in your gig bag.  It saved my arse twice.  £45, free P&P.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    One thing to bear in mind is that pedal sized amps such as the Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum are indeed tiny, but they require a large sized external power supply which essentially doubles their size and adds an annoying reliability risk - they use barrel style connections and the cable is flimsy compared to, for example, the kettle lead approach which is both sturdier at the point of connection and has thicker cable which I'd feel is less likely to get damaged
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • G4peiG4pei Frets: 7
    Grunfeld said:
    I've got a Quilter microblock but I tried to find a link and it might have been discontinued. It's about the size of a packet of fags and can easily drive a 2x12 to gig volumes.  It's way better than it should be and I've earmarked one of the bigger Quilters (lol, they're all physically small) for my next amp if my Orange CR120 dies.

Or, if you're interested I've got an Orange micro Terror which can also do the same.  It's not a great sounding amp, it's literally a Get-Out-of-Jail amp that can live in your gig bag.  It saved my arse twice.  £45, free P&P.
    I like the sound of the Quilter amp, I've found a shop in Wembley that has some of their products. Our bass player's amp let him down at a gig on Sunday which was a high end Ampeg head about 1 year old. Luckily a friendly local lent him an old HH head which was great but no its got me thinking what if...........
    One thing to bear in mind is that pedal sized amps such as the Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum are indeed tiny, but they require a large sized external power supply which essentially doubles their size and adds an annoying reliability risk - they use barrel style connections and the cable is flimsy compared to, for example, the kettle lead approach which is both sturdier at the point of connection and has thicker cable which I'd feel is less likely to get damaged
    @thecolourbox I see what you mean. I'm just looking for something that would see me through to the end of a gig should I ever get an amp failure.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    I've got an ehx44 for this. Works well, although I know there is talk of unreliability!
    newi123 said:
    I've got an ehx44 for this. Works well, although I know there is talk of unreliability!
    @newi123 If it can get me through a couple of hours at a gig that's all I need. Have you used it at pub gig levels? I'd be looking to go into an 8ohm 2 x 12 cab if my beloved Fuchs fails.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    Although not as small as the EHX 44, I use a DV Mark Micro 50 which has a built-in power supply, full EQ, two channels,  reverb and an effects loop. It weighs less than 2kg. Its my main amp because it works well with pedals and I can put a modeller through the FX return.

If it broke, I'd buy another.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    G4pei said:
    newi123 said:
    @newi123 If it can get me through a couple of hours at a gig that's all I need. Have you used it at pub gig levels? I'd be looking to go into an 8ohm 2 x 12 cab if my beloved Fuchs fails.
    Yes, through a 2x12 it's easily giggable with a few pedals in front. Not the best sound ever but entirely workable to finish a gig. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I've got an EHX 5mm and it is really fecking loud through my 212. Obviously it's not enough for a fair size gig. But for a small thing it'd be enough, especially if you're micing up. And you can run it from your pedalboard PSU. 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Get a quilter.

I went down the rabbit hole of backup amps a few years ago.  Ended up with a quilter pro block and then a tone block  202 and couldn’t be happier. I use it for rehearsals, smaller gigs and festivals and it’s brilliant.  Used it a gig where the ‘house guitar cab’ turned out to not exist and the engineer usd it direct to pa.  Sounded great.

yes it’s more expensive than other solutions but it was worth it IMO.
  • HugoHugo Frets: 4
    What about the amp 1 from
    bluguitar?