NAD - Fender Supersonic 22

What's Hot
vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 196
After buying my recent Stratocaster and using this amp in the shop to try it out, I’ve not been able to get it out of my head. I returned and worked out a deal for it.

It sounds massive and has got a nice bluesy/rock vibe to it that I’m really digging.

Anyone know how to work out what year the amp is? The shop wasn’t sure.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    There is usually a serial number inside the chassis. Fender can then tell you what year it is.

That's the first one I have ever seen in black tolex
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 196
    edited July 2021
    There is usually a serial number inside the chassis. Fender can then tell you what year it is.

That's the first one I have ever seen in black tolex
    Ah okay thank you, I might email them and ask. Yes a lot of them are blonde aren’t they. To be honest I’d have bought either.

On the off chance if anyone can decode it, the SN is CR-355725.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    Congrats on snagging a great amp looks in great condition. I think these are way under rated. Very versatile and great tones. I have the 100w twin with celestion golds. What speaker do you have. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkr said:
    Congrats on snagging a great amp looks in great condition. I think these are way under rated. Very versatile and great tones. I have the 100w twin with celestion golds. What speaker do you have. 
    Yes I’ve been really impressed and I’m more used to very high gain amps.

Mine has the Fender Lightning Bolt Speaker by Eminence and I’m enjoying it. I normally enjoy Celestion V30’s.
  • Just an FYI if anyone experiences something similar.

I noticed some feedback when the reverb was turned up high that would only stop by turning reverb off.

I looked this up and it was suggested on another forum to do the following:

- Remove the rear lower panel and unscrew the reverb tank out from the bottom of the amp. 

- Remove the tank from the bag along with the cardboard base.

- Wrap the cardboard base in foil or copper insulating tape (I used the tape as I had some).

- Insert the tank into a cut-off jumper sleeve (I used a microfibre cloth just along the bottom between the card and the tank).

- Reassemble.

This apparently helps insulate the tank and dampen it from causing feedback, surprisingly it actually worked perfectly for me.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    HNAD. I personally don't rate the reverb much and generally have it on 2 or so for clean. Much better with a pedal or even without if there's delay on. I tried a few speakers in it and the lightening bolt was the best all rounder. Vol on about 4.5 on the gain channel with the gain 1&2 about 5-6 each and it's epic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Congrats !

I gigged with one of these for a few years, and was always pleased with mine 
  • vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 196
    edited August 2021
  • Yeah baby! I always liked the sound of these things. This vid of Andy from Pro Guitar Shop got me going, but something put me off at the time, maybe it was the reverb thing. Crank it!!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah baby! I always liked the sound of these things. This vid of Andy from Pro Guitar Shop got me going, but something put me off at the time, maybe it was the reverb thing. Crank it!!

Oddly I missed this video during my scouring of the internet prior to buying. Thanks!
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I bought one a few years back from a forumite and did not regret it. Very versatile and i didn't even mind the reverb, though these days i use a Context pedal for main reverb duties with the amp reverb set to about 3...  

I noticed some feedback when the reverb was turned up high that would only stop by turning reverb off.

- Remove the rear lower panel and unscrew the reverb tank out from the bottom of the amp. 

- Wrap the cardboard base in foil or copper insulating tape (I used the tape as I had some).

- Insert the tank into a cut-off jumper sleeve (I used a microfibre cloth just along the bottom between the card and the tank).

- Reassemble.

This apparently helps insulate the tank and dampen it from causing feedback, surprisingly it actually worked perfectly for me.
    Likewise for me with my deluxe reverb (I suspect it’s late 90’s/early 00’s as I got it second hand).

I stuck some adhesive foam strips to the reverb tank before putting it back in the bag and that seems to have dampened the tank enough to stop it feeding back.

The Princeton I bought last year has the tank strapped down quite securely in a much sturdier bag and doesn’t feed back at high volumes/reverb levels.

- Reassemble.

Likewise for me with my deluxe reverb (I suspect it’s late 90’s/early 00’s as I got it second hand).

I stuck some adhesive foam strips to the reverb tank before putting it back in the bag and that seems to have dampened the tank enough to stop it feeding back.

The Princeton I bought last year has the tank strapped down quite securely in a much sturdier bag and doesn’t feed back at high volumes/reverb levels.
    Interesting! I had a miniature panic when it started happening, good to hear that it’s a common thing with a common fix.

I know many people change out the tanks but I really like the reverb on this amp, it sounds so spacey and large.