Tokyo Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Devil#20 said:
    There's no real need for a lot of the events to take place. You could mark out a 100m length for example and get your mate to time you over the distance. Similar to other timed or distance events. Javelin, shot put, long jump, 1500m etc. Then post your result into the Olympic committee and the best time/distance wins the gold. Easy. 
    You’d lose the sense of competition doing that, seeing what the others are doing, racing next to them etc, is what spurs the competitors on. 

I watched the opening ceremony, but thought it was really odd without a crowd there and of course it lost most of the excitement and atmosphere. The drone thing was clever but you couldn’t actually see they were drones on tv…. could’ve been a projected hologram for all I know. Probably more obvious if you were there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Be more exciting if competitors were picked at random from the population.  
    "Congratulations, you have been selected for 4 years of training to become a competitor in the event of *Archery*.  Your business will be compensated for your sabbatical period.  Report to the selection ceremony on April 8th at Wembley stadium."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Many years ago my dad did very well in the carpentry event.

He made the podium.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    sinbaadi said:
    "Congratulations, you have been selected for 4 years of training to become a competitor in the event of *Archery*.  Your business will be compensated for your sabbatical period.  Report to the selection ceremony on April 8th at Wembley stadium."
    Like jury service, that is genius. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    sinbaadi said:
    I've always said a similar approach should be taken to the concept of a Royal Family; random UK family wins the role via some sort of lottery ticket, gets to serve as King, Queen and all the gang for a period of five years or so, faces on money and stamps, the whole shebang, then another family get a go.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    I’ve downloaded the discovery plus app and paid 7 quid for the month. It’s more organised than the bbc. Very easy to find the events I want live and on demand and unlike the bbc it has every event. 

I’ll still watch some of the key events on the bbc for the commentary, but for the more obscure sports I like, discovery plus seems the best choice 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    Just thinking it's an irony that the UK swimmer Adam Peattie probably wouldn't be allowed in certain Japanese bath houses because of his tattoos.
    I find his attempted moustache much more offensive  ;)
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4958
    edited July 2021
    Excellent win in the Road Cycling by the Ecuadorian Richard Carapaz. Rode the field off his wheels for an emphatic victory.

And as a lifelong fan of cycling in particular, and the Olympics in general, can't deny getting a little teary to see the first Gold medal being awarded.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    edited July 2021
    JJ knocked out of the Taekwondo competition in the first round! No gold for her this time

Saw the video of her bout and frankly it looked untidy. Disappointing.

Murray also withdrawn from the men’s singles.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ive just been watching the replay of the Taekwando,  its difficult to understand where the points and penalties come from.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Ive just been watching the replay of the Taekwando,  its difficult to understand where the points and penalties come from.

I’m watching it but no idea what’s really going on. 

The commentators should have been describing what the judges were looking at on that replay, poor job really. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    I would like to see 3 categories of Olympics:
    • one for regular folks - picked at random, given 6 weeks training to learn what to do. Maybe less for running as that's obvious. Nothing too tough on endurance as you might break people.
    • one for athletes as we have now. No drugs, no cheating
    • one "anything goes" - let the drug companies and bionics people have at it and see how fast/strong/swimmy/jumpy we can make humans with a little applied science...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    • one for regular folks - picked at random, given 6 weeks training to learn what to do. Maybe less for running as that's obvious. Nothing too tough on endurance as you might break people.
    • one "anything goes" - let the drug companies and bionics people have at it and see how fast/strong/swimmy/jumpy we can make humans with a little applied science...
    Category 3 used to be called the Russian Team. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Poor old Jade Jones went from being British to Welsh in the space of 3 minutes. 

I thought she was a cert for a medal. 

The commentators should have been describing what the judges were looking at on that replay, poor job really. 
    So, I spoke to my daughter who a few years ago used to do some Taekwando for the exercise.  She didn't progress through the rankings though so in the end she was just kicking little kids and didn't think it was fair.  Where do i sign up??

Anyhow.  apparently they have sensors in the gloves and socks.  The judges are also looking for what they consider to be point scoring blows to the chest or head from fists or feet and the press a button when they think a blow has landed.  If the judge presses the button at the same time as the sensor detects a blow, point scored.  Daughter says the penalty system is a bit arbitrary at times and thought that match was very scrappy.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    edited July 2021
    Sinden takes silver in the men’s Taekwondo. He looked to be ahead but then fortunes changed and he lost by a narrow margin.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467

Not sure what you were watching on but they did a really good job of explaining everything when I was watching this morning 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sinden takes silver in the men’s Taekwondo. He looked to be ahead but then fortunes changed and he lost by a narrow margin.
    Gutted for him. He was excellent in his semi
    final. I was out walking the dog and watching with my headphones in and found myself shouting and cheering (very loudly) at my phone. Got some weird looks. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Can I nominate Our Maud and myself in category one, Synchronised Donut Dunking?

Street skateboarding.  It'd good, but for the best in the world they dont half fall down a lot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom