NGD: An elusive Ibanez and stellar experience at Mak's (where Ivor Maraints used to be)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1797
    Ivor Maraints seem to still have a thriving business in Garforth near Leeds. I have bought a few bits and bobs online from them recently. Not sure if they are now online exclusively now?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11304
    That is gorgeous, no surprise you went for it . Would it be crass to ask how many pennies you had to part with for it? My guess would be about £1200?
    I wish!

https://www.maksguitars.co.uk/collections/archtops-semis/products/1978-ibanez-artist-series-2635-w-ohsc
    That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Ivor Maraints seem to still have a thriving business in Garforth near Leeds. I have bought a few bits and bobs online from them recently. Not sure if they are now online exclusively now?
    I think they are now. 
    Offset said:
    That is gorgeous, no surprise you went for it . Would it be crass to ask how many pennies you had to part with for it? My guess would be about £1200?
    I wish!

https://www.maksguitars.co.uk/collections/archtops-semis/products/1978-ibanez-artist-series-2635-w-ohsc
    That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    That was another thing I forgot to mention. For a central London shop, Mak’s prices are sensible and in line with the market. Not sure same can be said about other outfits. 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    That's a lovely looking instrument Fred! Great score :)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    Absolutely amazing looking fiddle there!

Still annoyed at choosing not to buy a very reasonably priced Ibanez 175 copy in the 90s because the owner had put an uncovered Duncan humbucker in the neck position.

Maks seems to have some lovely stuff in. Would love to try the Eastman 175-alike. I have owned their mandolins and currently have a 12-fret acoustic and think they do cracking stuff for the price. Just worried about the 1.75" nut on the jazzboxes so would need to play one first.

Anyway, back to your guitar. Quite beautiful and no doubt wonderful sounding and very well made. And yes, that, a Scofield and a Weir would be, for me at least, a holy trinity of Ibanez hollow, semi and solid instruments. Go for it!
  • That looks a good price to me, from a store, for a great guitar in that condition.

I can't get over how pretty it is. 
    edited July 2021
    edited July 2021
    Basher said:
    Had quickly seen this @basher but forgot to respond/save the image, thank you. Any chance of reupping it, could be new avatar
    Basher said:
    Had quickly seen this @basher but forgot to respond/save the image, thank you. Any chance of reupping it, could be new avatar
    Sorry. Was just being stupid with the "steal your bacon" icon. Saw it again and thought it was crap! Here it is again, alongside a "steal your Ibanez" one I did at the same time. That 2635 really is stunning and I hope you're still enjoying it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Brilliant @Basher ! Thank you :)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    edited July 2021
    This is Gibson Byrdland inspired by the pickup positioning etc.Nice.........
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Bloody lovely Fred!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Basher said:
    Basher said:
    Sorry. Was just being stupid with the "steal your bacon" icon. Saw it again and thought it was crap! Here it is again, alongside a "steal your Ibanez" one I did at the same time. That 2635 really is stunning and I hope you're still enjoying it.

Gassage said:
    Bloody lovely Fred!
    Cheers :)

rossi said:
    This is Gibson Byrdland inspired by the pickup positioning etc.Nice.........
    It does feel a bit that way doesn't it? I've not measured the scale length though so not sure...