Advice needed - starting up my 67 Marshall JTM50 after years in storage

What's Hot
gumbothewiddlergumbothewiddler Frets: 327
edited July 2021 in Amps
Hi all, due to family and space reasons, i've had my 67 JTM50 in storage for about 6 years now. Its been kept warm and safe in the spare room at my parents house (not in a cold garage/loft etc) but obviously completely untouched. They are moving house so its now back at my place and obviously i'm itching to play it again. However, for safety should i really be getting this brought back to life via a variac or is it safe to just switch it on and play? I don't own a variac so it would have to go to a tech if so.

https://i.imgur.com/ehmYWq4.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Definitely a Variac with the chassis open and with current monitoring, unless the filter caps were replaced less than about five years before it went into storage.

It’s just too risky for critically valuable parts, especially the transformers - assuming they’re original - to take the chance otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    1967 JTM50 you say? I've got one of those as well. It had been "in storage" for well over 20 years before I powered it up once again. I replaced all of the main power supply capacitors before I applied power. I bought a variac as well. Powered up with no issues - happy days :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    100% Soft start, DO NOT plug it into the wall.

As @ICBM says, you MUST do everything to protect those transformers.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the advice - It will be making its way to a tech shortly :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom