Shocking Olympic sexism:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57940896
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Not Olympic tho is it.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    axisus said:
    It is terrible, especially when a recent long jumper was accused of being too revealing.  It is, however, shit all to do with the Olympics.

The team decided to wear shorts instead of bikini bottoms at the European Beach Handball Championships in a move which led them to being fined £1,295.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    I'm normally not a fan of any of the sports where scores are given by judges (I call it opinion rather than fact but that's probably wrong) but the diving yesterday was amazing to watch.  The looks on the GBR teams faces when the Chinese did their final dive were brilliant.  Daley was in shock and Lee gave them the most begrudgingly polite clap.  Then they won anyway, awesome.

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    axisus said:
    Not Olympic tho is it.

I'm sure that the women's beach volleyball had the same 'dress code' when it first started (Atlanta?) but don't think it is still in place today. Sport itself is rarely at the front of IOC members' minds.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Damn, missed the Dressage. 

Oh well. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

Oh well. 
    My son said that dressage is the only event in the Olympics in which men and women compete on equal terms ie qualification isn’t gender specific. 
    Don’t know if that’s true or not. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Oh well. 
    My son said that dressage is the only event in the Olympics in which men and women compete on equal terms ie qualification isn’t gender specific. 
    Boy horses and girl horses?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

Oh well. 
    Boy horses and girl horses?
    Even that I don’t know really! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

Oh well. 
    Tis a truth. (though i was watching the women's weightlifting earlier and to be fair, the jury is still out).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129

Oh well. 
    But it's still utterly dull.

What's the most boring event? I reckon 10 air rifle. There seems to be no factors that can affect the outcome other than how well each shooter controls their hiccoughs.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Men's 4 x 200 swimming - Superb victory! 

I felt quite emotional myself to see James Guy in tears at the end realising that he had won Olympic gold.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    A question for Welsh and Scottish readers, would you rather send a team/athlete from Wales/Scotland to the Olympics under the Welsh/Scottish flag as opposed to one team from the UK?

I ask as we in Ireland send a team under the Irish flag and are proud of their efforts in competition.  However well they perform, to achieve the qualification standard is an achievement in itself.  Any medals won are much celebrated in the country.

Saying that I fully support and feel a part of the Lions tours and Europe in the Ryder Cup.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    The athletes are funded by a central pool of UK funded money, and many of them train in facilities across the whole UK, not just in their "home nation" so I have absolutely no problem with them competing under a UK flag.

But then again I'm one of these weirdos who doesn't really care about flags or imaginary dividing lines on maps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    This horse trot dance thing is fuckin rubbish
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    tony99 said:
    I try hard not to be disparaging of minority sports - because ultimately they're all just varying shades of nonsense - but I can't even pretend when it comes to Dressage. I really don't get it, at all. Shouldn't be anywhere near the Olympics. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    I try hard not to be disparaging of minority sports - because ultimately they're all just varying shades of nonsense - but I can't even pretend when it comes to Dressage. I really don't get it, at all. Shouldn't be anywhere near the Olympics. 
    it is not for me either - I just don't get it/understand it - I'm sure there is skill involved by both rider/horse, but I'd rather watch paint dry - Next will be Poodle Dancin'/dressage - But somehow I say credit to CD for winning 6 medals, but I won't shed any tears if Laura wins 3 medals at Tokyo to re-take the record with 7 medals, with another gold, or two, or three
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited July 2021
    tony99 said:
    Not really any different to any judged competition - the trick has to be trained and pulled off to a high technical standard. Really it's no different to skateboarding, surfing, diving, except the tricks to be performed are strictly controlled rather than left free choice.

On lots of levels it's an incredible sport. Just very, very dull if it's not your thing as spotting the intricacies requires a level of appreciation that most won't have and it basically becomes a really difficult spot the difference on horseback.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    tony99 said:
    The trouble with Dressage is that it is too in the past, it needs modernising. They should introduce breakdancing, I could be interested if the horse was spinning on its back on a piece of card and the rider was still in there somewhere.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:
    The trouble with Dressage is that it is too in the past, it needs modernising. 
    They've done their best, until 1952 only commissioned military officers and "gentlemen" were allowed to participate.

Personally I think jousting would be a great Olympic event.