Mike Hendrick - 72

guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
in Tributes tFB Trader
I recall watching test matches in the school holidays and Mike playing for England - A friend of mine told me a few days ago that he was very ill, as he knew him via his days of playing around the Derbyshire/midland leagues
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    One of a long line of unsung English fast bowlers. Often criticised for bowling slightly too short of a length, but it was his economy that allowed Willis and Botham free rein.  I think he understood his role within the test team very well and as such deserves more recognition.  He also had a wonderful action.

Another victim of the big C I believe, very sad, 72 is no age these days.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    He had a lovely rhythmic action, rocking backwards and forwards. I was surprised that he only played 30 tests, it seemed like he was always there, in an attack of Old, Lever, Hendrick, Willis. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I remember watching him as a kid.  Sad news.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    He had a lovely rhythmic action, rocking backwards and forwards. I was surprised that he only played 30 tests, it seemed like he was always there, in an attack of Old, Lever, Hendrick, Willis. 
    a) I recall that attack - As a Yorkshire fan I recall plenty of Old - b) likewise I was surprised only 30 tests
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    A lovely tweet went out earlier today. That's a room with some serious cricketing ability in it. 

tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^  very touching - a pint/meal etc to say goodbye to a friend
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    a) I recall that attack - As a Yorkshire fan I recall plenty of Old - b) likewise I was surprised only 30 tests
    just to add - 3 Ashes wins - some don't win any
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    scrumhalf said:
    Mike Hendrick's action was very similar to the great Fred Trueman's, and if you watch old footage of Hendrick really firing it in, I think he was a lot quicker than the "fast medium" label he's usually given. 

Sadly that classic side on "slingshot" action that we were taught as schoolboys is a thing of the past, as it seems modern coaches don't favour it.