Shoulder impingement…

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    Sorry to hear that.
    Like you & many others here, I suffered from long term shoulder pain.
    Playing energetic badminton for extended periods (don't know why, not really my game at all).
    Right shoulder started aching, then it developed into a nagging permanently persistent pain that used to wake me at night.
    Tried all sorts including private acupuncture & so called laser treatment but nothing helped.
    After several years, it eventually stopped hurting, but I was left with a sub-luxed shoulder with the arm being slightly lower than it should be.
    Push for the doctors to do something ASAP, don't do what I did & trust the bastards to have your best interests at heart.
    https://wimbledonclinics.co.uk/ac-joint-disorders-dislocation-subluxation/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    scrumhalf said:
    I had impingement some years ago. It doesn't sound as severe as yours. It took a couple of months of weekly physio sessions to cure it. 
    I also had it and concur that it took me a couple of months to get back to normal too.

Keep doing the exercises. My chiropractor (who is also a good buddy) said that without the exercises it would have been a lot longer to heal.

Back then the NHS answer was cortisol injection. My understanding is that that don't actually cure it but just mask the pain for a bit.

My personal learning from it was while doing the exercises. It hurt! If I focused on wanting the pain to go away it hurt more. If I focused on helping my shoulder to feel better then I noticed the pain less.
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 331
    I've experienced shoulder pain a lot over the years and had surgery to both my shoulder and neck. In my experience, shoulder pain caused by a neck problem manifests itself differently from a problem in the shoulder itself, although there are some common symptoms as well.

With the former, weakness in the arm (as well as pain) is common. C6/C7 neck vertebrae issues tend to lead to triceps weakness and higher up (C5/C6) can affect the biceps. There is a weird situation that can cause a crossover of symptoms where C6/C7 does affect the biceps and C5/C6 affects the triceps, but it's not so common. My C6/C7 disc was royally screwed and I had a few years of really intense pain in my neck, across the scapular on the left side of my shoulder/back and also down my left arm. I had the disc removed in 2019, a spacer and supporting rods installed, and my pain has gone from 10/10 to 2/10. Prior to the surgery, I'd gone from easily being able to to 30 press-ups to not being able to do 1. My *right* triceps muscle was simply getting no nerve signal and refused to work. Rather scary at the time, but i reckon I've got about 80% of the strength back. The weakness was on my right side, but the pain was on the left. Bloody awful pain to be honest.

Now, the shoulder pain caused by a shoulder problem. I used to play tennis quite seriously and after many years of playing my acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) was knackered. I had physio and several steroid injections which did little to alleviate the pain and I ended up having the joint excised and the bones fused. Not pleasant, but it actually sounds worse than it was. I still play badminton from time to time and lift weights (sensibly) to maintain shoulder strength and stability. I have had other shoulder issues that were easier to fix. Rotator cuff and  bursa sac problems can be resolved with physio, injections, exercise and rest, as long as they're not really severe. Self diagnosis is possible, but a good physio is the way to go. If you want to try some self diagnosis tests, these guys have done a few videos on shoulder issues -  They're a bit comedic at times, but worth watching.

Due to my ongoing neck/back/shoulder issues (I've had a fair amount of surgery) I'm always on the lookout for new treatments and exercises. I have to say, this book has been something of a revelation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1589096428/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of physios are now following its guidance. It simply involves hanging (as apes, our closest ancestors, do) in order to maintain the correct shape and structure of our shoulders. I installed a chin-up bar in my garage and use it most days, simply to hang from. It's not completely cured the problems I have, but it's definitely improved them, a lot. No drugs, no surgery, just hanging. Worth a try. 

Hope this is useful.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    My left shoulder got very tight. If I was to lie on my back palms up by my side I wouldn’t be able to swing my left arm outwards above my head (imagine it like trying to do a snow angel on the carpet).
    the left shoulder was very tight. I tried all types of exercise and if I really bared down and ignore the pain with resistance bands etc it would be marginally better for a few hours. 
    Then I bought a Denas PCM electro stimulator and within 4 days it’s now pain free with full mobility. 
    I’ve used it on a few other niggles and it’s made them 99% better also. It may be a placebo but I don’t care it works in taking away pain and improving movement. I’ve had the rona recently and I used this device as instructed for flu’s etc and had no issues and honestly I couldn’t tell I was sick, well I’ve lost my sense of smell and taste but nothing else and I’ve yet to have the jabs. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I've experienced shoulder pain a lot over the years and had surgery to both my shoulder and neck. In my experience, shoulder pain caused by a neck problem manifests itself differently from a problem in the shoulder itself, although there are some common symptoms as well.

With the former, weakness in the arm (as well as pain) is common. C6/C7 neck vertebrae issues tend to lead to triceps weakness and higher up (C5/C6) can affect the biceps. There is a weird situation that can cause a crossover of symptoms where C6/C7 does affect the biceps and C5/C6 affects the triceps, but it's not so common. My C6/C7 disc was royally screwed and I had a few years of really intense pain in my neck, across the scapular on the left side of my shoulder/back and also down my left arm. I had the disc removed in 2019, a spacer and supporting rods installed, and my pain has gone from 10/10 to 2/10. Prior to the surgery, I'd gone from easily being able to to 30 press-ups to not being able to do 1. My *right* triceps muscle was simply getting no nerve signal and refused to work. Rather scary at the time, but i reckon I've got about 80% of the strength back. The weakness was on my right side, but the pain was on the left. Bloody awful pain to be honest.

Now, the shoulder pain caused by a shoulder problem. I used to play tennis quite seriously and after many years of playing my acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) was knackered. I had physio and several steroid injections which did little to alleviate the pain and I ended up having the joint excised and the bones fused. Not pleasant, but it actually sounds worse than it was. I still play badminton from time to time and lift weights (sensibly) to maintain shoulder strength and stability. I have had other shoulder issues that were easier to fix. Rotator cuff and  bursa sac problems can be resolved with physio, injections, exercise and rest, as long as they're not really severe. Self diagnosis is possible, but a good physio is the way to go. If you want to try some self diagnosis tests, these guys have done a few videos on shoulder issues -  They're a bit comedic at times, but worth watching.

Due to my ongoing neck/back/shoulder issues (I've had a fair amount of surgery) I'm always on the lookout for new treatments and exercises. I have to say, this book has been something of a revelation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1589096428/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of physios are now following its guidance. It simply involves hanging (as apes, our closest ancestors, do) in order to maintain the correct shape and structure of our shoulders. I installed a chin-up bar in my garage and use it most days, simply to hang from. It's not completely cured the problems I have, but it's definitely improved them, a lot. No drugs, no surgery, just hanging. Worth a try. 

Hope this is useful.
    Cheers all. 

Haha, something about just hanging like an Ape do, appeals to me. Like you say, I do think there is something in natural things like that. 

You never really see an old Simian.. theyre always athletic. 

Thats what I wanna be. Flexible and able to bolt around gracefully. 
    Lol. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    A lot of us seem to have similar issues but possibly due to a whole range of different conditions.

I've been getting some pain in my right shoulder - more the area between the neck and shoulder - for the last couple of months, and a stiff creaky neck a lot like you described.  I also tend to sleep on my right side and I feel like I'm aggravating it overnight, but I can't do anything about that.

I think I put it down mostly to having the same routine every single day, sitting here typing - mostly right-handed - and using a mouse.  I didn't have very much variety of activity pre-Covid but at least I was walking around a bit, travelling, not always sitting in the same chair!

I haven't tried the GP - mine is also only doing online consultations, basically you send them a message and get one reply, you can't even respond with a further question.  It's frustrating and makes me feel powerless and kind of humiliated.

I've had a frozen shoulder in the past and that was different.  It went away after six months or so, not as bad as @poopot's.

I think what @crunchman says makes a lot of sense, doing more general exercise and using more muscle groups over a range of movement can only be a good thing.  The hanging thing doesn't sound a bad idea either.  But I have vowed never to join a gym again, I just hate them... 
    Mm today my neck has been total agony. Not sure why, as I’ve been off work so not even sat at a desk all day. 

Been trying to get to sleep the past hour and failing :/ 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I would recommend you see a decent chiropractor. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    edited July 2021
    I had a lot of problems over a year or so with my left shoulder, tried all the exercises with a physio, tried acupuncture, then cortisone injections til finally it was an op. Had the op on a Monday afternoon, key hole surgery, ground down the ball of my shoulder joint and trimmed damaged ligaments. 
    I took the week off work. Good thing to do. 
    Had a gig on Saturday and Sunday, bad , very bad thing to do! In fact stupid, as I have been reminded. 
    Told Surgeon had a gig on the Saturday, he said no way I will be able to play. 
    Wasn’t until Friday I picked guitar up and found I could not move arm left or right to go up and down neck. So had to sit down, and literally push guitar backwards and forwards with right hand and angling body to get hand up and down neck. 
    It was F#######agony. But I got through it, just, but got another band to cover the Sunday gig.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I had very similar after slamming into a car on the bike and hitting it with my right shoulder, took about two years to repair itself painful restricted movement, I thought it was knackered for life. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Well, I’ve got a telephone appointment with my Gp.. its almost 4 weeks away.. I plan on saying its bad, neck and shoulder, and that the physio I’ve been seeing recommended scans. 

See where that gets me. 

Just wanna know what the issue is really, then I can plan the best route to fix it. 

Its either an impingement or a rotator cuff tear I reckon. But hell, I dont even know why I’m trying to work it out myself lol. 

Just frustration I guess, I wanna get back into the shooting season!