Amp-less live setup help

guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 581
edited July 2021 in Live
I’ve got a slew of gigs coming up, some proper venues with house PA but mainly dodgy pubs with our own PA.

Im thinking of using my Helix instead of my amp as mainly I’m lazy (and my old yamaha dg weighs more than a planet). 
Band is a five piece, two guitars and vocals etc.
We’re pretty loud, we have monitors but all I usually put through them is vocals. 

Can I get by going straight into the PA and monitoring myself via headphones? I’m reasonably sure that the rest of them will hear me coming out of the PA. other guitar player will be using his amp. And is loud . 
Anyone else do this ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I always go direct now either AX8 or Kemper. A 10” active cab behind gives some stage volume. The audience won’t know any different but on stage it would be a bit weird if you are going direct through headphones and the other guy has on stage sound...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I go direct, and use IEMs for monitoring. We use a digital desk which gives me my own monitor mix. However I like to have a floor mounted powered speaker out of Output2 of my AxeFX. It serves two purposes. There’s a bit of acoustic coupling with the guitar, sufficient to give feedback in solos. It also allows me to hear my guitar if the IEMs should fail.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3597
    Two of the band use IEMs.. i like a wedge monitor if going ampless. it goes in the general monitor mix as I will often cue the band with my intro / ending playing and lead us back on track if things go off track,   

If it is only going out the PA, they really won’t hear you and if you set tempo for the drummer, it is hard.    I assume you have a decent mixer/digital mixer and you can give everyone a bit of you.

• No digital mixer, yet, so I can’t give everyone a tiny bit of me. I thought about getting a monitor wedge just for me/the band, but at that point it’s not much different to bringing my amp! 
    I’m investigating wireless iem’s using wifi so I’ll hold out until then and review . Cheers.