Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited September 2021
    Right. Butt kicked. Put me down for bass guitar on I Wish and Just What I Needed. (The latter begins on E.)

Next step, I have to nominate two songs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Seven members have now recommitted to this event, so we just need a few more to make this event viable. Could those who are definitely out please kindly confirm that, so we know for sure where we are.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Brocco said:
    Seven members have now recommitted to this event, so we just need a few more to make this event viable. Could those who are definitely out please kindly confirm that, so we know for sure where we are.
    Still up for it mate :)
    Also happy to second, and do main guitar/backup on Rainbow and Kiss, and backup on Faster Pussycat and Joe Jackson  =)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2021
    Ok chaps. As suspected, this is looking increasingly unlikely for me I'm afraid. 

I've got barely any time off even over the summer holidays and will definitely be trying to have a full rest week before hitting the busy autumn and winter season in schools. 

There's a very slim chance I might be available at short notice, in which case I might rock up, sling you some money and have a jam in the second room...but it's extremely unlikely. 

Also, just by way of feedback, and echoing other comments, I'm not hugely inspired by a lot of the songs being outliers/ niche personal favourites. 

In my experience of running many of these jams, they tend to work better if the songs are generally quite well known. 

That's absolutely not a criticism, just an observation that it could also be putting others off. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Ok chaps. As suspected, this is looking increasingly unlikely for me I'm afraid. 

I've got barely any time off even over the summer holidays and will definitely be trying to have a full rest week before hitting the busy autumn and winter season in schools. 

There's a very slim chance I might be available at short notice, in which case I might rock up, sling you some money and have a jam in the second room...but it's extremely unlikely. 

Also, just by way of feedback, and echoing other comments, I'm not hugely inspired by a lot of the songs being outliers/ niche personal favourites. 

In my experience of running many of these jams, they tend to work better if the songs are generally quite well known. 

That's absolutely not a criticism, just an observation that it could also be putting others off. 
    I think I agree with Legion, whilst I have proposed a couple of my faves I appreciate they may not be for everyone, so song choice is a difficult one, I think maybe we need to stay very mainstream? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    @spark240 I think for me, if I have to jump on YouTube/ Spotify and listen to a song 20 or 30 times for familiarisation before I can even think about learning it, that's quite off putting. 

At least with well known songs, you'll have an idea of what it should sound like before you start breaking it down. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    spark240 said:

I think I agree with Legion, whilst I have proposed a couple of my faves I appreciate they may not be for everyone, so song choice is a difficult one, I think maybe we need to stay very mainstream? 
    yeah you're totally right. I for one always pick stuff I like with the hope it's relatively well known, but outside of a particular niche it really isn't. I know that, and yet I still do it. It could have been worse, it could have been Winger. 

So we can scrub Get the Funk Out and Hot For Teacher off the list - replace with You Really Got Me (Kinks/Van Halen, 5 chords, nice and easy and we did it last time) plus Johnny B Goode  =) Those should be ok for people just to turn up and play I hope, with little/no prep? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited July 2021
    There are no end of three- and four-chord tricks that can be knocked into reasonable shape in under half an hour. Stooges, Pistols, Stones, Dylan, that sort of thing.

have a jam in the second room 
    This is more where my head is at. 

I would be happier plonking away at unrehearsed noises and/or helping people with running repairs or set-ups.

I am not criticising the song choices either. What I am doing is admitting that I am too lazy to learn and practice some of them into presentable shape.

Some times, the music in a song is very simple but the feel needs to be right. I do not want to disappoint other participants by ruining their song choices. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @spark240 - I take it that you are reconfirmed (certainly hope so)?   How about Nick and Bernie?
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I'll be there - reconfirmed
    Brocco said:
    @spark240 - I take it that you are reconfirmed (certainly hope so)?   How about Nick and Bernie?
    I’ll check with the guys, we may still need to tweak the song list and drop in a couple of more familiar tracks ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Brocco said:
    I’ll check with the guys, we may still need to tweak the song list and drop in a couple of more familiar tracks ?
    Yep, we may well need to tweak the song list based on the consensus of those who recommit, but the immediate priority is to establish that this remains a viable event (currently we have 9 members who have recommitted). Am I counting you in Tim?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6786
    Unfortunately I'm going to bail on this one, Ive now got a support gig the weekend before that I need to learn 12 songs for, so cant take on learning anything else until that event is done.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    calling @roberty, @HCDavies @Handsome_Chris - it would be extremely helpful to know if you are recommitting to the jam?
    Brocco said:
    Brocco said:
    Myself and Nick are currently on….bernie will be in France so bit of a trek 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Brocco said:
    Brocco said:
    Myself and Nick are currently on….bernie will be in France so bit of a trek 
    beautiful, many thanks for confirming
    that's eleven of us now, with a few more responses still to come in, so believe we can definitely consider this event "ON"

There is a discussion to be had to finalise the tracklist, and perhaps we can start the refinement process by asking those who can play drums or can sing to nominate tracks in the seconded and non-seconded lists that they would be happy to be in the house band for (we can drop any tracks that don't attract both a drummer and a vocalist).

There are also still some track nominations to come in (you know who you are)...  
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited August 2021
    Now we have had confirmations maybe it' time to fill my paypal account back up, especially as I have accidentally bought a guitar........nick@paulleys.co.uk - it £15 each I think (it was £155) so we might have some left over for pop and candy if we are 
    lucky.

I'm looking forward to this as i'm as rusty as feck (assuming you can get rusty fecks) and haven't played for months as personal circumstances have gone all a bit wobbly

• HCDaviesHCDavies Frets: 12
    Hi guy's sorry not been here for a while, sadly I can't re confirm at this moment. Family issues have to come first. 

I wish you all the very best.

This discussion has been closed.