Anyone played a Cornell rambler?

What's Hot
hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 116
Looks like an interesting amp but demos are fairly scarce and good demos non existent.

how close to an ac15 is the clean channel? I’m thinking I might as something that’s like an ac15 but not exactly. 

There’s one on eBay but it’s right the other side of the country. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    I had the el84 Rambler. Nice amp but I don't recall it giving me that Voxy vibe very much. This, however, ought to fit the bill:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/206913/cornell-dc15-reduced

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Yes, I owned two -one of which @JohnPerry is referring to.

There was no 'standard' circuit with the Rambler.  For example, the top one John owned had EL84s and an EF86 in the preamp (I can't remember if it was in the normal or boost channel), the bottom one had 6V6's.  They came with and without reverb too.  I think Denis just built them to whatever the customer wanted as opposed to have a single standard design.

Neither was that Vox-y, in fact the 6V6 one had more of a Vox top end to it.

Great amps - I miss them both.
    Lovely day out they all had too^^. Is that Warwick Castle?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JohnPerry said:
    Lovely day out they all had too^^. Is that Warwick Castle?

No, my back garden in Leafield.  :lol: 
  • @Dodge @JohnPerry interesting that neither of you found the rambler voxy, as I’d got that impression from other reviews. How would you describe the ones you had? (Taking the point about there not being one rambler design). 

There’s one for sale a 4 hour round trip from where I’m visiting this weekend. It’d be just the kind of impulsive shit I’d do to do the deal without really knowing what it sounds like!
    @Dodge @JohnPerry interesting that neither of you found the rambler voxy, as I’d got that impression from other reviews. How would you describe the ones you had? (Taking the point about there not being one rambler design). 

There’s one for sale a 4 hour round trip from where I’m visiting this weekend. It’d be just the kind of impulsive shit I’d do to do the deal without really knowing what it sounds like!
    They both sounded very different - the 6V6 one was slighly scooped sounding with extended treble and was louder.  The EL84 one was thicker, more middley.  More Marshall than Vox.

As with all small combos, they were a bit bass-light.  Mine both had V30's with the doping taken off which Cornell did back then although when John took ownership I think it had a different speaker.  They sounded superb through a bigger cab.
    I can barely remember it but i think "more Marshall than Vox" was my conclusion too re. the one I had. Great little amp though. That DC15 in the classifieds seems to nail the AC15 tone though

• JohnPerry said:
    I can barely remember it but i think "more Marshall than Vox" was my conclusion too re. the one I had. Great little amp though. That DC15 in the classifieds seems to nail the AC15 tone though
    Yeah, I had a look at that there DC15. I've been playing voxes a while and think I'd like to try something else, but not too different. Also must have reverb!
  • "Kinda voxy, but more marshall than vox". Would it be that different from a drz maz?
    Yeah, I had a look at that there DC15. I've been playing voxes a while and think I'd like to try something else, but not too different. Also must have reverb!

Try a Bad Cat Cub 15R. 
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 116
    edited August 2021
    Dodge said:

Try a Bad Cat Cub 15R. 
    I deeply regret not snapping up the one for sale here not long ago. That will haunt me till I die.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I see the one on Ebay ends at 12am.

I'm presuming we are talkin' 'bout the midnight Rambler?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:

I'm presuming we are talkin' 'bout the midnight Rambler?
    Nah, the cornell rambler. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303133996391
    think I followed that on ebay about 18 months ago! He cannot seem to shift it. Looks a decent amp though

• owenwowenw Frets: 40
    I've just added a clip of the DC-15 for sale if anyone's interested.