Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    You're most welcome Tony!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:
    Nothing very exciting, just binned three of the brass shielding plates + glazier points that give partial shielding, fully shielded & linked all cavities instead, and changed the grounding to suit.
    Not like the mod we did on mine then...where you made the volume pot actually work ;)
    :) 
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    Quick update time, at least some of the more picturesque stuff.

Adam's '66 as seen in his recent thread. It had a ropey paint job but was carrying all of it's old wear. Stripping it kept all that intact. Three blow screw holes needed sorting, did that with the smallest possible alder plugs. A fluted dowel had been glued in to rescue a blown control plate screw hole, that got routed out and a piece of alder let in.
    I don't mind these old get-by's too much, back in time these things weren't so highly valued and it's just a sign of being used for decades

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And another olympic white-type thing, a 90s yellow poplar Strat. As usual can't get the colour quite right but it was blended to be neither obviously white+yellow or white+brown.

Took hours in the stripper this one. Usually a couple of hours sees everything off, this was in for 9 hours!
    The other thing was sorting the body pieces which had moved, seems it's not uncommon.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And Ross's build as per M&M thread, getting into colour

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    My wife just saw this over my shoulder and remarked that it's very nice, but I'm not allowed it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    :) Thanks Mrs Normula :)
    tFB Trader
    Overdue update. @monquixote brought his excellent DGT for fret-levelling and a tuning issue

And the Strat, for pickup swaps to Oil Citys and refret in stainless 6000. Sounds great I think, and the middle Dimarzio hangs well with them too

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Blown away by how good the Strat is!

I feel like it's all it can be now, also crazy kudos to @OilCityPickups the Blackbirds you sold me are amazing. Not only super focussed with gain, but also really nice clean sounds.
    tFB Trader
    And Ross's build is done and now with him so here's a couple of pics, a full thread is here
    Walnut body, honduran mahogany neck, Mojo P90s

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks amazing. I'll read the build thread again now...! 

Also, as usual, wow awards to @monquixote for that strat - I love how that thing has aged, super cool. 
    tFB Trader
    A couple of bits, first an LP Custom that had several sticker 'shadows' on top and a load of dark streaks from stand burn on the sides. Those ran deep.
    It took a few colours to layer & blend to get it matching & hanging together right. Anyway, I kept the factory way of dealing with binding and left enough texture so it doesn't shout refin -

A 'before' pic, you can barely see the top shadows, they were very showy in person and the rusty streaks were stronger but hey

tFB Trader
    New top paint for this one, while repairing some paint damage from time & use -

Some days you sacrifice just the right number of goats and the paint lays down pretty perfectly. This is gun finish, no sanding. Though being nitro it has settled and got a bit of texture after a few days.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Was hoping for a quietish spell so I could get a bunch of things done, but it's been busy. So a late few pics.

Already seen but for completeness, the Esquire+ build

7lbs of fun.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Weapon:

One of Mr Mangler's headless herd.

Weapon 2:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2021 tFB Trader
    In the background^ is one of a set of fire/smoke-damaged guitars that came in for a report, and then sorting out.
    Failed to get pics, there were some nice things and luckily those could be rescued, two were written off but one was easily replaceable and the second lower value. Main thing is our man escaped fine, unlike the neighbour who's house caught fire.

So I've stopped putting off renewing the fire extinguishers.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Long story but my white Firebird had a slight problem with strings sticking in the nut. Although I'd done the same head angle, same trem before, but not upside down. That seemed to tip it over the edge. No amount of different nuts, slotting, string types would sort it. So from this -

We have this -

Take the fretboard off, deploy bandsaw and chop off neck. Make new one, with rwu head this time. I do like how it sits with the FB body. Trap inlays for a change and my last piece of local 5,000 yr old bog oak.
    It's in primer though was hoping to be further along by now.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2022 tFB Trader
    Little update-

A 70s Alembic for restoration. The pic doesn't show how dark it all is, the lacquer is very yellowed/browned. And dinks & dents all over including a couple of deep ones where something punched in hard.

The electrics were fun to fish out; 4-way selector, stereo XLR, mono 1/4", dummy coil. Three-way switches with vols and active q-filters, onboard preamp. Powered by a rack-size external power supply. Some pretty wacky construction and oddities everywhere.

tFB Trader
    Just leave this here for now till the owner's back from abroad, he hasn't seen it in the flesh yet 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, now that is lovely. Being tele shaped makes it even better.