Wiring fault finding rant

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
Not a query or a work-in-progress, but a minor whinge about some fault finding I did last night on my latest build (a 3 x mini-humbucker affair I am building with my youngest, Isaac). For some reason the resistance between output and ground was dropping when I turned one of the two tone pots. I spent the best part of 1hr30mins looking at the wiring, testing resistances and mV on the pickups, poring over the 5-way switch. Narrowed it down to *something* around the pot itself, and eventually realised I had attached the common ground wire (on back of pots) to the wrong side of the tone capacitor. Doh! and Eureka! simultaneously.

An easy fix which meant I could get to bed around 2 am after a couple of 12-hr shifts :)

Output socket to wire up, strings and various screws to be attached tonight hopefully, and the open A chord beckons!

Rant over :)

Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That kind of fault finding is best left overnight.Like many, I’ve spent hours looking for the obvious then given up and come back to it after a period of time, only to find  the answer screaming at me on first look. Ps will never admit this under oath!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Indeed. And sensibly, that's what I should have done. But i'd already invested plenty of time, and wanted to get it to a stage whereby the following night I could finish it with my little boy doing some of the soldering (how many 9-year olds have their own soldering station?)
    Clearer heads should have prevailed :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    edited August 2021
    That kind of fault finding is best left overnight.Like many, I’ve spent hours looking for the obvious then given up and come back to it after a period of time, only to find  the answer screaming at me on first look. Ps will never admit this under oath!
    Definitely. Or even for a little while- I remember when rewiring my SG, I was getting no reading for any of the pickup selections on the multimeter. Went to get something to eat, and it came to me during dinner that I hadn't grounded the pickup selector. If I'd gone straight into it I'd probably have desoldered half of what I'd done, lol. Unless there's an obvious problem that's instantly visible, better to go away and take a break and it often comes to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom