Passive splitter box

What's Hot
I want to make a very simple passive splitter box that will take a single input and split the signal to two outputs. One will go to the amp and the other to my interface.

It is as simple as just connecting the tips and grounds together respectively?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Pretty much… Chuck in a couple of switches and you have an a/b box… I’ll dig out a diagram 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100

That should do you!.
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    poopot said:

That should do you!.
    Mega, thank you!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    You can choose whether you want a buffer or not.
    There are kit suppliers online. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    No, not like that.

If you're going to make a box like that, you need to mute the unused outputs by switching them to ground and not leave them as open circuits - even near-open-circuit with the 100K resistors - they will hum like that, like a guitar cable plugged into an amp with no guitar connected.

Also, if this is going to be after a guitar or unbuffered pedal, the 100K resistors will load the signal down heavily (50K with both outputs engaged) and muddy the tone. You don't even need the 1M one if the switching is done so that neither output is left unconnected - it's better to use a switching jack (to ground) for the input.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    For a passive splitter you don’t need any switch’s but if you just connect the input to both outputs then the interface input will load the amp input and vice versa . 

You need to isolate loading one from the other really .., a tuner with 2 outputs would do the job 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Danny1969 said:
    For a passive splitter you don’t need any switch’s but if you just connect the input to both outputs then the interface input will load the amp input and vice versa . 

You need to isolate loading one from the other really .., a tuner with 2 outputs would do the job 
    True, although if both are in the 1M ohm range then it won't matter too much.

It's if you add more than two at about 1M each, or go down much below 500K on any of the outputs, that you'll start to notice.

Or, use any buffered pedal before the splitter and then it doesn't matter at all...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Yeah a buffered pedal would be fine and from there an off the shelf mic splitter could also be used . A cheaper one fit 20 ish would be fine at 100Hz and above. If isolation was needed that is 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Good job I didn’t order all the bits yet...

It’s basically some cable management in my new study, I want to route two cables under my desk and have a splitter mounted onto the underside of the desk as a kind of patch bay. 

Actually, a simple 2 in 2 out patch box might be easier...just plug my input cable into whatever patch I want (amp or interface). 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I have a Morley isolated 3.into 1. 1 into 3 switcher if you are interested 
  • Won't a DI box (with throughput) sort this?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    If it is always connected to amp and interface you could do this very cheaply for less than £5 using an inline mono 6.3mm jack splitter adapter.  Look for a 2-female in to 1-female out or 1-female in to 2-female out adapter (they work either way).  Even if you can only get a two-in female to one-out male (most common), you could buy a 6.3mm inline mono female to female adapter so you can plug one instrument cable into the male jack side and two instrument cables into what would normally be the two inputs, i.e. the two female sockets at the other end.  Some might argue about low quality metals in an unshielded adapter degrading the signal, and all that baloney, but if they are metal and make good contact with the jacks you would have to be an owl or fennec fox to hear any difference if there was any at all.  It would be worth buying these cheap adapters to test before buying other more expensive, and admittedly neater and more versatile, equipment.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20585
    I have an Electro Harmonix Switchblade Nano channel selector. I could photograph the insides if you wanted?
    Thank you for all the advice/comments. I ordered some bits and made a 2 in/2 out patch box and routed the cables under my desk.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    That's an excellent idea, fixing it under the desk / table like that.  Nice and neat.