Posting Pics from Imgur - 2021 update

What's Hot
JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
edited July 2021 in Help & Feedback

Head over to the Test posts thread to try things out!
Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    That’s great @Jonathangus ;

Can you now do the same for imgur on an iPhone, and then on an Android device, using a 3 versions-old browser that no-one else has heard of?

;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Imgur on iPhone and iPad. Copy the link with this icon:

and this:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    It’s just not meant to be.  I can’t stop laughing at my inept ability.  =)
    Test 
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    edited September 2021
    I have just tried to access the 'direct link' on Imgur by hovering the cursor at the top right hand corner of the image and then choosing 'share links'.  This has historically provided all of the standard share links, including 'direct link', but they appear to have removed the 'Direct' link option.

Anyone have any ideas how to post on Fretboard via Imgur without that 'Direct' link option?  I have just posted a couple of photos into a thread today and had to use the standard 'Share Link' which only drops a link into the thread.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • surfguy13 said:
    I have just tried to access the 'direct link' on Imgur by hovering the cursor at the top right hand corner of the image and then choosing 'share links'.  This has historically provided all of the standard share links, including 'direct link', but they appear to have removed the 'Direct' link option.

Anyone have any ideas how to post on Fretboard via Imgur without that 'Direct' link option?  I have just posted a couple of photos into a thread today and had to use the standard 'Share Link' which only drops a link into the thread.
    @surfguy13 Right click on the photo and select "Copy Image Address" - that might have a slightly different name in different browsers but that's what it is on Chrome and Safari on Mac. On Firefox it's "Copy Image Link"

If you've done it right you'll get a link that starts "https://i.imgur.com" and ends ".jpeg" without any other characters at the beginning or end.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @surfguy13 ; it's still working for me as in the video.  Tried it in Firefox and Chrome - what browser are you using?

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Hi @Jonathangus, ; Many thanks for getting back to me.  Really weird isn't it.  I use Chrome and have refreshed several times but no joy.  Tried Bing, same thing.  I got my neighbour to try it and he got the same drop down with only 4 options:
    Share Link
    HTML Imbed
    BB Code
    Markdown
    No idea what is happening but its really frustrating!
    Any ideas of anything I could try.
    Cheers
    Guy
  • Right, I think I've worked out what you're doing differently, @surfguy13 - you need to be logged into an Imgur account for it to work as in my video.  If you just upload to Imgur without an account, you get that drop-down which you describe.

• OK, just been back into Imgur and I am definitely logged in.  I clicked on my user name at the top right and one of the options was to sign out so that confirms it.  The weird thing is I've been using Imgur for ever and have posted loads of photos on Fretboard using the Direct option and until today that has always been there.  Really strange!

Thanks for thinking outside the box, really appreciate it!
  • PS  Just accessed Imgur via Bing and signed in fine.  Unfortunately its exactly the same, just those 4 options......
    edited September 2021
    @surfguy13 ;;

I've just spent "a little while" recreating your problem so I could understand how to solve it.  At least, hopefully solve it.

From the imgur site, in your browser of choice,  click on your username in the top right corner of the screen so that all of your thumbnail images are displayed.  Click once on the image you want  to embed.

If you choose to "view and edit post" for the image you want to embed, then it opens with the "Copy Link ..." button in the top right corner, and, if you click that, and then the "get  share links" option, *then* you only get the 4 options, none of which being  the direct link that you want.

So, AVOID the "view and edit post" option.

What I don't understand is what you're clicking on to get to that option, because I have to go past the screen where I see *all* the link options to get to the "view and edit post"?

[edit]
    Ahhh, a bit more investigation ... if you look at your image thumbails from the "gallery profile" view by selecting "posts" from the drop down under your avatar, top right of the homescreen, then you automatically go into the "view and edit post" option when you select an image.
    BUT
    If you use the "images" option, top right of the homescreen, that takes you into a different thumnbail view, from which clicking on an image then displays the screen with ALL the link options.

I do like  a puzzle ....
    ;)
    ^^^ @digitalscream ; - PM refers!
  • Brilliant @TTony, sheer genius!!   =)  It works perfectly, with all the links, if you view via 'images'.  Blimey, they don't make it easy do they?  Not at all intuitive.  

Thanks a million at Ttony and also @Jonathangus.  ;
    surfguy13 said:
    Brilliant @TTony, sheer genius!!   =)  
    Not so much genius @surfguy13 ; - just  methodically going through all the possible options to work out why  we were seeing different options!

As I said, I like a puzzle
    ;)

Now post some good images ....
  • Top detective work, @TTony !  I've always used the 'Images' option, hence I've never encountered that drop-down before.
    TTony said:
    That’s great @Jonathangus ;

Can you now do the same for imgur on an iPhone, and then on an Android device, using a 3 versions-old browser that no-one else has heard of?

;)

There is an Android version in the works...

• TTony said:
    surfguy13 said:
    Brilliant @TTony, sheer genius!!   =)  
    Not so much genius @surfguy13 ; - just  methodically going through all the possible options to work out why  we were seeing different options!

As I said, I like a puzzle
    ;)

Now post some good images ....
    I thought I had already gone through all the options on Imgur but clearly hadn't!  This is the thread I was posting on and it shows both the links I had originally put in and then the embedded photos, albeit of questionable quality!   =)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/213139/wtb-5y3-rectfier-valve#latest