Mix Challenge - Are Friends Electric.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Well here are my non-scientific thoughts, for what they're worth.

Bezzer: Very aggressive mix. That suits the song up to a point, but it's overcooked in the mid-range, and having saturation on absolutely everything gets a bit wearing after a while. Rather bass-light. I wonder if the drums are a bit too prominent in the balance.

poopot: Yikes, even more distortion! Sounds very garage-y and lo-fi, which is an interesting take on the song but gets tiring quite fast. I like the mix balance, which has the vocals and lead instruments very prominent. Rhythm guitar is a bit relentless though.

springywheel: Quite a boxy-sounding mix, especially the drums, which sound very 'knocky'. Tons of delay on the synths which tends to muddy the mix. Not as fatiguing to listen to as the first two! Kick drum gets lost.

Andy_k: Quite similar to Bezzer's mix in that it's brutally aggressive. Everything's quite distorted and pushed even harder in the upper mid-range, so the mix as a whole sounds brittle and the bottom end feels weak. Think I prefer the mix balance here, though. It brings the lead parts into the foreground a bit more.

Siejen: Think this mix probably has the most balanced frequency spectrum, it hits hard in the mid-range without losing the bass. Once again things are distorted to the point of feeling a bit fatiguing. I like what you've done to add variety to the rhythm guitars which are a bit samey in most of the other mixes. Some parts seem a bit out of whack level-wise and the mix sort of comes and goes in strange ways but definitely the most interesting take on the song to me.

So, for me: @Siejen five points, @poopot three points and @Springywheel one point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Stuckfast said:
    Well here are my non-scientific thoughts, for what they're worth.

Bezzer: Very aggressive mix. That suits the song up to a point, but it's overcooked in the mid-range, and having saturation on absolutely everything gets a bit wearing after a while. Rather bass-light. I wonder if the drums are a bit too prominent in the balance.

poopot: Yikes, even more distortion! Sounds very garage-y and lo-fi, which is an interesting take on the song but gets tiring quite fast. I like the mix balance, which has the vocals and lead instruments very prominent. Rhythm guitar is a bit relentless though.

springywheel: Quite a boxy-sounding mix, especially the drums, which sound very 'knocky'. Tons of delay on the synths which tends to muddy the mix. Not as fatiguing to listen to as the first two! Kick drum gets lost.

Andy_k: Quite similar to Bezzer's mix in that it's brutally aggressive. Everything's quite distorted and pushed even harder in the upper mid-range, so the mix as a whole sounds brittle and the bottom end feels weak. Think I prefer the mix balance here, though. It brings the lead parts into the foreground a bit more.

Siejen: Think this mix probably has the most balanced frequency spectrum, it hits hard in the mid-range without losing the bass. Once again things are distorted to the point of feeling a bit fatiguing. I like what you've done to add variety to the rhythm guitars which are a bit samey in most of the other mixes. Some parts seem a bit out of whack level-wise and the mix sort of comes and goes in strange ways but definitely the most interesting take on the song to me.

So, for me: @Siejen five points, @poopot three points and @Springywheel one point.

Not started the voting yet… will carry your votes over when I get the thread up and running
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom