Armed and Ready Michael Schenker solo

What's Hot
I've been working on the solo to "Armed and Ready" based on this rather good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qS5XexGiUA&t=631s
Just after 4mins, the author goes through the second lick from the solo, which is a bend up from D to E on the 2nd string, followed  by 2 Es on the first, then repeat - a well used blues/rock lick.
Anyway what I find awkward about the way the author plays it is his right hand; down stroke on the D, then TWO upstrokes on the E string.  I can see why - this way you are always playing outside but for some reason I find the two upstrokes together fiddly.
Any comments?  Is this the way to play this type of lick, or does anyone have any better suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My only comments are what a great player, a great video and that I'm going to dig out some MSG later as thats whet my appetite !
  • It is a corker of a solo imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    For Schenker, I'd call on @bingefeller and @Grunfeld ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    chris45 said:

Any comments?  Is this the way to play this type of lick, or does anyone have any better suggestions?
    For me, that just looks like an idiosyncrasy of the guy teaching on the video.  
    And as he says a bit later he' changed the fingering of the Left hand to suit the way he likes to use 4 fingers whereas Schenker is mainly a 3 finger player.  i.e. change the picking too to suit your preference.  That lick feels best, for me, if I use alternate picking.
    Nice video though.  (Cheers for the heads up on this post @DLM) :)
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Grunfeld said:
    chris45 said:

For me, that just looks like an idiosyncrasy of the guy teaching on the video.  
    And as he says a bit later he' changed the fingering of the Left hand to suit the way he likes to use 4 fingers whereas Schenker is mainly a 3 finger player.  i.e. change the picking too to suit your preference.  That lick feels best, for me, if I use alternate picking.
    Nice video though.  (Cheers for the heads up on this post @DLM) :)
    Cheers for the response:  when you say alternate picking, would you play it down up down,  then for the next repeat, down up down again or would you start the next repeat up down up?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    chris45 said:
    ...when you say alternate picking, would you play it down up down,  then for the next repeat, down up down again or would you start the next repeat up down up?
    I suppose I'm not doing it strictly alternate cos I play it like this, repeating this each time:
    Down on the B string (whole step bend)
    Down Up on the E

• chris45 said:
    I've been working on the solo to "Armed and Ready" based on this rather good video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qS5XexGiUA&t=631s
    Just after 4mins, the author goes through the second lick from the solo, which is a bend up from D to E on the 2nd string, followed  by 2 Es on the first, then repeat - a well used blues/rock lick.
    Anyway what I find awkward about the way the author plays it is his right hand; down stroke on the D, then TWO upstrokes on the E string.  I can see why - this way you are always playing outside but for some reason I find the two upstrokes together fiddly.
    I would economy pick it, like this:

https://streamable.com/qlqnig