Strange Chord in 'Why Worry' by Dire Straits, anyone know what it is?

What's Hot
My acoustic guitar/singing friend has thrown down a challenge, he asked me to learn the guitar bits or something close to the record, on the Dire Straits song, Why Worry.  He can handle the chords, rhythm and singing part, he wants me to play the intro and other guitar parts.

Why Worry is in the key of E, I found that a Capo on the second fret and playing using the D key chord shapes places a lot of the notes under my fingers.  I think I will be able to come up with something passable one of these days but there is a chord that baffles me.  It is what I term an expansive chord a few seconds before the vocals start.  Any help with identifying or playing that chord is much appreciated.

I don't like learning a song note for note from any of the internet guitar teachers.  I much prefer to play my take on a guitar solo, a version that is recognisable and yet mine.  If you follow my drift.  But that chord has me baffled so if anyone can help, you will be forever in my debt.  Thanks in advance.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited September 2021
    It's a B5. So you just want B and F#. x244x2 would do it.

The reason it's expansive (I like your description) is because a) it covers a lot of ground with not very many notes, and certainly not many different notes; b) because it lacks the 3rd, so you don't know if it's major or minor (at least from the harmony alone), so it's quite open-ended, and c) because it has the 5th at the top - it doesn’t round off the chord with the top octave. 

Or because the piano thingy is playing a load of other important colour notes, such as E, A and C#, you could possibly strum the open capo'd strings x22222 and it would give a good approximation of the harmony with some of the melodic stuff in there too. Though that's a bit stodgy and the colour notes might overshadow the B and the F#.

Or somewhere in between, which would be a B(sus2) which is a very nice, light way of introducing colour without being too stodgy, and avoiding stating whether the chord is major or minor, like is the case in a B5. That would be x24422.

Finally, in true Knopfler style, you could just play x24xxx or x244xx and leave the rest to the others in the band. But if like me you prefer to offer up as much of a complete sound, I reckon the 1st or 3rd options are best.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thank you @viz for such a detailed answer to my query.  I will give all your suggestions a go and decide which sound works best for me.  Wiz! awarded.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh I don't know about weird chords and that. Probably wanna keep it pure and just play a Cmaj.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is Why Worry in standard tuning?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom