Android music player app

What's Hot
I use the Amazon Music app for a lot of my listening, as it's obviously the only way I can listen to the stuff included with Prime.

However, for anything else (ripped CDs, stuff I've bought elsewhere) it's a bit shit - the main issue is with albums I've bought from Amazon. Both GvF albums - I have the mp3s downloaded to my phone, through the app, but I always get some missing songs, some downloaded twice, and some that are greyed out.

I used to use Google Play Music but that's gone now, replaced by YouTube Music which isn't particularly great, and is constantly pushing me to buy stuff.

Any recommendations for a one-off purchase, ad free music player?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VLC
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    VLC is great as a non-frills player of many different formats.

If you want more - media library management, etc - then mediamonkey is what I eventually settled on. Free version is fine too. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thanks both. I have VLC but it doesn't display content as I'd like (although it does seem to be better now so possibly it's been updated).

I'll give Media Monkey a try, cheers
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7734
    edited September 2021
    I've used JetAudio, easy to manage library and for example these are the options when you click on a single track on the android version:

• RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited September 2021 tFB Trader
    I used to use google play too.. It was awesome and worked perfectly with Android auto...

When they change it to youtube player.. Man that thing was awful..  When playing tracks on Android auto there would be like a 20 second gap between the songs.. It hated you using your own MP3s

After searching I found one called Black Player... And its excellent and works with Android auto really well too. By a company called Fifth Source I think. (theres a paid and a free version). Works perfectly with my offline MP3 library. And I just have the free one.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I use the free version of BlackPlayer and have no complaints.
  • I like PowerAmp Music player. There's also a very good standalone EQ from the same developer. 

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I haven't found a decent replacement since Google ditched Play Music in favour of YouTubeMusic, which is indeed crap. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is I don't like about YTM, however I just don't feel inclined to use it to play music. I struggle to find any albums to play, new albums I have recently acquired either by adding to my library or upload get lost in a mire of other content, I have no sense of having my own collection of music to browse. My listening experience is a bit shot to shit as a result.

I guess I should look at some of the alternatives suggested above and also consider going back to the purchase album download, and upload to my library approach to buying and playing music.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I use YTM for streaming. I'm aware that the choices are more limited than Spotify but I don't have any issues with it. Spotify always seems completely clueless when suggesting music although I think this is because they have sponsored tracks that they try to push on you. 
    Not using YTM for ripped CDs but then most things that I might rip are on there anyway.     
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Cheers all, I'll give those suggestions a try and see how I get on. Media Monkey seems to be working fine, although I only seem to have a "shuffle all" option instead of a normal play icon.
  • I had Google Music from before it was launched in the UK (signed up for US account via VPN) and used it right until they canned it. Real shame. It was so much better than YTM. I really don't like the YTM interface and the sound quality isn't great.

Now we have a regular UK family account for Spotify so my kids can use it on their phones and smart speakers. The sound quality is good despite it just being compressed. But I find the apps are annoying on phone and desktop - lacking features, features removed, and pushing crap like Jo Rogen at me when I'd rather turn all podcasts off (I get my casts elsewhere).

I like Deezer a lot. The apps are better than Spotify and there's the option for CD quality without bullshit snakeoil MQA that Tidal is peddling. I occasionally pay for a month of HiFi from Deezer. 

• It seems Google Music is sorely missed, and I'm not the only one who doesn't like YTM! Is Deezer subscription based, or can it function as a standalone music player? I'm really just after something that can play digital music I've purchased, and anything anything else (ripped CDs etc) that I have on my hard drive, without the hassle that Amazon Music gives me.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited September 2021
    I think it's only streaming. I use Poweramp for the albums on my phone that aren't available on streaming platforms. 

• Not sure how technical you are, but I run a Plex server at home and the PlexAmp app is top notch. It's all my own stuff with my ripped CDs and my purchased MP3s from Amazon  music so all legal.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Media Monkey seems to be working fine, although I only seem to have a "shuffle all" option instead of a normal play icon.
    It's a bit of a curious UI in some respects @Mattharrier ; - I wonder if they were trying too much functionality in to a single screen.

Yes, the obvious play icon at the top of the screen defaults to random play.  But, if you tap and hold on the item you want to play (ie album, track, playlist, whatever), then a row of little icons appear at the bottom of the screen, which add the selected item to a "now playing" list. 

Play now / play next / play last and then add to playlist.

It would be handier if that play icon could be configured to play (in order) or random play depending on what you wanted to do, but I've never found a way to do that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Not sure how technical you are, but I run a Plex server at home and the PlexAmp app is top notch. It's all my own stuff with my ripped CDs and my purchased MP3s from Amazon  music so all legal.
    Pretty sure I'm not that technical! But I will have a look into it, thanks.
  • TTony said:
    Media Monkey seems to be working fine, although I only seem to have a "shuffle all" option instead of a normal play icon.
    It's a bit of a curious UI in some respects @Mattharrier ; - I wonder if they were trying too much functionality in to a single screen.

Yes, the obvious play icon at the top of the screen defaults to random play.  But, if you tap and hold on the item you want to play (ie album, track, playlist, whatever), then a row of little icons appear at the bottom of the screen, which add the selected item to a "now playing" list. 

Play now / play next / play last and then add to playlist.

It would be handier if that play icon could be configured to play (in order) or random play depending on what you wanted to do, but I've never found a way to do that.
    I just clicked on the first song, which started playing, and then it automatically played each song in turn so essentially the same as having a dedicated play button. But I didn't know about the tap and hold menu, thanks. I do like an adhoc playlist function.

Thanks @TTony ;
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    One of worst YTM 'features' is the way it divides your Library in to YourTube Music tracks and Upload tracks. I just want one consolidated library. The only consolation is, it made me realise that I don't want a music collection which is dependent upon my subscription to a streaming service. Call me old fashioned, but I want a collection which is more permanent than that. Hence interest in reverting back to buy download (probably on Bandcamp) and upload to library model.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I've been through loads of the and I find Musicolet to be the best by far.

• Blackplayer for me.

I used MediaMonkey for ages, but I found Blackplayer worked better for some things, like editing metadata, adding artwork to older files that didn't have it, etc.

What I really want is an app that can manage* podcasts *and* music, but I haven't found one yet.

*Yes, I know any old audio player app can *play* podcasts, I mean one that can download them too.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.