Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drive sound at low volume - is it possible?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Rocker said:
    ..the flowing 'liquid sounding' drive...

Have you tried adding a phase effect, It sounds like there's a subtle time based modulation as well as the drive and reverb on the intro to "Air that I breathe".

I had wondered if I could get that sound without assembling a bigger pedalboard than the one I have.  My quest is complicated by the fact that my normal (no pedals in use apart from the merest suggestion of hall reverb) sound is perfect for accompanying one or two acoustic guitars and an unamplified vocalist (who happens to be one of the guitarists).

I used to use the SparkleDrive as a clean boost, it did that very well, but some time ago I got an LPB boost which does the same job.  This freed up the SD and as I want the sound of The Hollies, I had hoped that it could be squeezed out of the SD.  Maybe if the amp was different, it might be possible.  While I don't like the idea, there might be no option but to try a few pedsls in a shop and see if one does the trick.

One of those multiFX pedals might have that sound hidden away in it's menus.  Might head down that road and see where it brings me.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Have you tried adding a phase effect, It sounds like there's a subtle time based modulation as well as the drive and reverb on the intro to "Air that I breathe".

I had wondered if I could get that sound without assembling a bigger pedalboard than the one I have.  My quest is complicated by the fact that my normal (no pedals in use apart from the merest suggestion of hall reverb) sound is perfect for accompanying one or two acoustic guitars and an unamplified vocalist (who happens to be one of the guitarists).

I used to use the SparkleDrive as a clean boost, it did that very well, but some time ago I got an LPB boost which does the same job.  This freed up the SD and as I want the sound of The Hollies, I had hoped that it could be squeezed out of the SD.  Maybe if the amp was different, it might be possible.  While I don't like the idea, there might be no option but to try a few pedsls in a shop and see if one does the trick.

One of those multiFX pedals might have that sound hidden away in it's menus.  Might head down that road and see where it brings me.
    You could try an AxeFX.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Honestly, I would just buy a simple generic overdrive pedal - any Boss pedal would be ideal. As few controls as possible - gain/overdrive/distortion (however it’s described), tone, and most importantly - level.

If you get a chance, go and try a couple out and see which style you prefer. Maybe the Sparkle Drive doesn’t have enough gain/overdrive available? I’ve never used one so I’m not sure the reasons it isn’t working for you.

The phasing on that Hollies song is a sprinkling of fairy dust that you can worry about later…

• Rocker said:

Definitely this ^ sounds like phaser, very slow phaser.

Also worth wondering if he used amp driven or pedal for the recording. If it was a pedal, then it would most likely be Fuzz or Treble Booster as I don't think that Overdrive Pedals as I know them were available back in 74.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Suggestion:

Guitar > LPB boost set as you like it > Sparkle Drive with gain up and volume set to desired level > amp(s).

Ensure the LBP boost is set to give the desired level of boost when used without the Sparkle Drive activated. When you want your lead sound, enable both the LPB and the Sparkle Drive. The boosted signal from the LPB should push the Sparkle Drive a bit harder to give more overdrive. Turn the volume of the Sparkle Drive down so it doesn't get too loud.

It's not easy getting the sound you want, I wish you well with finding it.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom