Epsom open mics?

What's Hot
ijontyijonty Frets: 32
Hi folks

I've moved to the area - does anyone know of nights that are starting up again now restrictions are relaxing?

Ta

J

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    You could try asking in GuitarGuitar? They'd know the local music scene.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Paging @Kebabkid - he's in that area and might know

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    There used to be an Open Mic next to Guitar Guitar at Faraday's and the shop may even have had something to do with it and there was another one around the corner. Enquiring in Guitar Guitar is a good shout.

If you type in Epsom Open Mics, you will get a selection of them within a 5 mile radius.

I know some have re-started in the Carshalton/Wallington area (15 mins drive) - the Rose & Crown, Carshalton had one this week but I can't see anything on their website

Whilst The Sound Lounge in Sutton doesn't appear to have Open Mics at the moment, it is a new-ish venue that has some well-known acts passing through and they appear to be mainly acoustic performers, but I don't know what they're planning.
    https://www.thesoundlounge.org.uk/about-us

All the best in Epsom and it's a nice area
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fellow Epsom resident here. Best local one (or at least, to my limited knowledge) is probably in Kingston. https://www.ramjamrecords.co.uk/open-mic.

I'll also be keen to know if there's a better one closer.
  • Thanks all, I asked at Guitar Guitar and they said the one next door isn't happening any more. Will look at the ones you suggested, and might even ask around if any venues in Epsom would be up for hosting one. Would you be interested in coming along if I could get something off the ground?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you build it, they will come. There's heaps of people in and around that would be up for it I'm sure.

In terms of venues, try the leg of mutton in Ashtead - they sometimes have live bands of a weekend (we've tried to play there but no luck so far), so can imagine they'd be in a better position than most to host one.

I think McAfferty's in town sometimes used to have live music too - mostly of an Irish persuasion. So as long as someone is willing to get up and do Thin Lizzy / Kenny Rogers / U2, that may be a goer too.

Keep us informed.
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    @Garold86 will definitely keep you posted!

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    The Star in Dorking, 20 mins on the train, I think it's Thursdays, did it a few times before lockdown. The 3 pubs in West Street have band on every weekend too. Great scene here. Check out Westival on Halloween weekend.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    edited October 2021
    There's this in Surbiton/ Berrylands
    https://www.bravebar.co.uk/

And the Cavern in Raynes Park have one I think
    http://www.thecavernfreehouse.co.uk/

As said, enjoy Epsom, it's a great place
  • ijonty said:
    Hi folks

I've moved to the area - does anyone know of nights that are starting up again now restrictions are relaxing?

Ta

J

Not a huge amount. I still have a number of connections with the theatre in Carshalton and people seem more wary about going to music events than spoked word or comedy gigs there. They've been holding a monthly folk night to see how things go and are starting up a monthly ceilidh session. One of the directors (who is also the soundman there) is very much into the live music so if you did want to start something up, drop him an email. I was also the lead chef at the sadly gone Wallington Arms in Wallington and our open mic and music gigs were an absolute sellout pre-Covid. The punters are out there, it's just a bit slow to return. 

ijonty said:
    Hi folks

Ta

J

Not a huge amount. I still have a number of connections with the theatre in Carshalton and people seem more wary about going to music events than spoked word or comedy gigs there. They've been holding a monthly folk night to see how things go and are starting up a monthly ceilidh session. One of the directors (who is also the soundman there) is very much into the live music so if you did want to start something up, drop him an email. I was also the lead chef at the sadly gone Wallington Arms in Wallington and our open mic and music gigs were an absolute sellout pre-Covid. The punters are out there, it's just a bit slow to return. 
    This place was fantastic, as was The Brook run by Andy Brook. Sadly both have gone but there is a lot music in the area waiting to happen when places reopen or new venues emerge.

@Heartfeltdawn I didn't realise you were a local and the Wallie Arms was 5 mins from me. Good food, too ;)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    edited October 2021
    Kebabkid said:
    This place was fantastic, as was The Brook run by Andy Brook. Sadly both have gone but there is a lot music in the area waiting to happen when places reopen or new venues emerge.

@Heartfeltdawn I didn't realise you were a local and the Wallie Arms was 5 mins from me. Good food, too
    Came to Sutton November 2017. Ran the kitchen in the Wally from December 2019 to the very end, did some production work for The Brook for a couple of months in their Waddon kitchen after the Wally closed, and then ended up at the Cryer as head chef when it reopened late 2019. It was a sad decision when the directors decided to downsize the food offering and so no job for me but I support the decision on a financial basis as they'd worked so hard to get it up and running. 

I'm back out in Wiltshire now, had to go and seek out some countryside. Been three months here and I'm making plans to come back to London next year. Gonna wait and see if a possible cooking gig in Spain happens next summer first. I really miss Carshalton in particular. 

Good to know someone else can appreciate Wallytown! :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:

@Heartfeltdawn I didn't realise you were a local and the Wallie Arms was 5 mins from me. Good food, too
    Came to Sutton November 2017. Ran the kitchen in the Wally from December 2019 to the very end, did some production work for The Brook for a couple of months in their Waddon kitchen after the Wally closed, and then ended up at the Cryer as head chef when it reopened late 2019. It was a sad decision when the directors decided to downsize the food offering and so no job for me but I support the decision on a financial basis as they'd worked so hard to get it up and running. 

I'm back out in Wiltshire now, had to go and seek out some countryside. Been three months here and I'm making plans to come back to London next year. Gonna wait and see if a possible cooking gig in Spain happens next summer first. I really miss Carshalton in particular. 

Good to know someone else can appreciate Wallytown! :)

Good luck with that and I know Andy and Thea Brook really well. I hope that music scene and the general vibe they created returns to the area.

All the best
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    @ijonty not sure if you're still interested, but saw that the new(ish) food court Epsom Social is putting on an open mic night soon. Might be the first on a regular series...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoVImSYKf8x/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

• ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Garold86 said:
    @ijonty not sure if you're still interested, but saw that the new(ish) food court Epsom Social is putting on an open mic night soon. Might be the first on a regular series...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoVImSYKf8x/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Hey thanks, didn't know about this so will definitely take a look. Are you local?