Cover challenge #15 voting thread… “B”

This is the vote for the 15th fretboard cover challenge. 

”Beauty has her way” - Mummy calls
or
any other song beginning with “B”

The entries can be heard in the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-15

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

however @Bezzer  ;and @stratman3142 each have a bonus 5pts for picking the original song choice by the previous winner

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Sunday 3rd October…

The winner will have 48hours to send me their song choice for the next challenge… or I’ll pick for you if you don’t… any song you like as long as it begins with the letter “C”.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I’ll kick off…

5pts @Bezzer - cracking version of the original… stunning!.

3pts @Habanero - really made me smile when that landed…

1pt @Snap - not heard this track before. Nice one!

top job to everyone else. Shame we can’t award more points/places tbh…

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    My votes go to....

5 points @Bezzer - Can't say I enjoyed the original, but this was fantastic! You turned it into a sweeping epic, top job.
    3 points @Snap - really enjoyed this, felt like a bad trip (in a good way...) I hadn't heard the original, so took a listen on YouTube and I prefer you version and voice.
    1 point @Springywheel - Can't go wrong with a bit of Motorhead! Was very close between this and @poopot Book of Bad Decisions cover....

Well done to everyone! I will try and enter the next one.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited September 2021
    5 points @Snap  Really good, I thought it was a Gary Numan cover at first before I realised it was DM. I wasn’t surprised to read that DM were actually a massive influence on his sound from the 90s onwards.

3 points @bezzer -  An improvement over the original I reckon, I love the orchestral embellishments.  Nice vocals. 

1 points @habanero - I’m familiar with the original...your version made me laugh

Great job everyone.

• 5pts @Bezzer - proves you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
    3pts @Springywheel - I wonder how much JD was required to get the Lemmy voice
    1pts @poopot - didn't know this one before, but really enjoyed it

Well done to the others. I already have ideas for C to F!
  • The standard is very high this time. All great. I think I can only hope to be an 'also ran' in these challenges, but it's not going to stop me. 

5 points : @Bezzer : Brilliant
    3 points :  @poopot : Loads of power. Great guitar playing
    1 point : @Snap : Really like the dark menacing style

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Chaps, you realise if you keep voting for me I'll end up choosing the next song too, right?  :p

Sorry I'm late to this, been having a bit of a 'mare again lately.  Had a listen now and they are all really good, fun entries this month. I'm voting based on the ones I'd listen to more than once, so it's taste dependent heavily. So ...

5 points : @Snap - ****ing EPIC.  Maybe helps I'm a DM fan anyway and Ultra is an album I go back to time and time again. Think your version nails the vibe but somehow makes it even darker.  Love it.

3 points : @poopot - I don't know the original, but this version is Phat with a capital P, as written .. um ... there.  And that solo and lead tone?  Ooooff my friend, ooooff.

1 point : @Springywheel - great version of a great tune.

While I'm here, @stratman3142 ... "also ran"?  Not at all sir and never say that!  I've been doing these since the first one, only missed 2 I think when I hated the songs and choice was not permitted, and until these two I've barely registered as an entrant other than through persistence.  I really liked your arrangement of the tune, and props for sticking with it, it's a surprisingly complex tune when you actually start pulling it apart.  The only thing that spoiled it for me were the accordian and bass ... they really pulled me out, not sure if it was the sample used or the way those two were mixed but that's all it was. Instrumentation was fab.

@Habanero yours was a lot of fun too, but felt too novelty to me (I know, coming from a man who did a 9 minute doom industrial version of 9 to 5 that sounds ridiculous) and it's not one I'd listen to often.  Well produced and performed though, the enegry came through in spades.

I do enjoy these, both the working on covers and the little end of term listening party.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2021
    Bezzer said:
    The only thing that spoiled it for me were the accordian and bass ... they really pulled me out, not sure if it was the sample used 

Interesting - there's isn't an accordian on it. I think what you're referring to was meant to be brass, which makes it even worse

I suppose I should have played real bass, but it took ages to work out the chords and backing in the first place, so I thought I'd run with a midi file generated from the transcription.

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Interesting - there's isn't an accordian on it. I think what you're referring to was meant to be brass, which makes it even worse
    Hmm ... there's no talking myself out of this one is there! Ha ha ... sorry!
    Last chance to vote peeps
    Voting closed
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    arse, sorry all, I've been off off a week, complete tech detox and missed the voting deadline. All the entries are good though, well done Bezzer, cracking version mate,

(thanks for the comments too)

onwards to the next one then!