Strat Hardtail body

What's Hot
I've got a Squier Strat here , I've had no luck selling it so I'm think of swapping the body for a hardtail body (i know i can deck the trem but its a fugly solution). Before I go all in and order something from Northwest etc has anybody had any experience with www.boobooguitars.co.uk ? They have descriptions of the bodies but the photos are not fantastic, just wondered how accurate they are?
Also is the neck pocket on a Jag/Mustang/Jazz the same as a strat? Although i bet a hardtail one of any those is even harder to find
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    spev11 said:

Also is the neck pocket on a Jag/Mustang/Jazz the same as a strat? Although i bet a hardtail one of any those is even harder to find
    Jazzmaster yes, Mustang and Jaguar no - the scale lengths are different and only a Jazzmaster neck/body are interchangeable with a Strat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    Ah yeah, complete forgot about scale length, dangers of posting whilst spannering bikes
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I understand that Booboo guitars are seconds and rejects, mainly from Guitarbuild but possibly also from other sources.
    I understand that Booboo guitars are seconds and rejects, mainly from Guitarbuild but possibly also from other sources.
    They are, they have quite short descriptions of the defects and a couple of pics but I wondered how accurate they were. If fine with a defect or two, with my playing ability its not gonna make a difference
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    I suppose Booboo have their place but if it were me, Id get a Guitarbuild body and just get on with building the thing rather than having to try and fix a boobed one.

I dont get why decking the trem is fugly, all my Strats are decked, I just add a spring and tighten the screws until spring tension is greater than the string tension, the bridge plate is flat on the body, unfugly…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    I suppose Booboo have their place but if it were me, Id get a Guitarbuild body and just get on with building the thing rather than having to try and fix a boobed one.

I dont get why decking the trem is fugly, all my Strats are decked, I just add a spring and tighten the screws until spring tension is greater than the string tension, the bridge plate is flat on the body, unfugly…
    Your not wrong there, as for decking teens, I dunno why it bothers me really, think it just one of those things.
  • I have two strats, one trem, one hardtail. I used to deck the trem on the tremelo strat, five springs, screwed down tight. It's not the same as a hardtail, they sound different. Even on a decked trem strat, strum a chord and put your ear against the body, you can actually hear the springs, they do have an effect on tone. My hardtail strat is more like a telecaster on the back pickup.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited September 2021
    Ossyrocks said:
    I have two strats, one trem, one hardtail. I used to deck the trem on the tremelo strat, five springs, screwed down tight. It's not the same as a hardtail, they sound different. Even on a decked trem strat, strum a chord and put your ear against the body, you can actually hear the springs, they do have an effect on tone. My hardtail strat is more like a telecaster on the back pickup.
     I have a hardtail too, not sure it sounds much different, but it must have an effect
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    spev11 said:

Your not wrong there, as for decking teens, I dunno why it bothers me really, think it just one of those things.
    in my experience a LOT of teens need decking, I wouldn't feel bad about it :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I've had a couple of BooBoo bodies - they were OK. You really need to zoom in on the pics, as it depends where the issue was picked up as to how much of the finishing process was completed. On one, the tummy contour was very rough but another was pretty damn near perfect (apart from the knot in the wood).

You do get what you pay for when it comes to bodies - I'd highly recommend @rexter for bodies, as I've had a few from Jon and all of them have been exceptional. Jon's bodies are finished in nitro. Not cheap, but truly excellent.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Sarge said:
    spev11 said:

in my experience a LOT of teens need decking, I wouldn't feel bad about it :)
    I have to agree with you, also the best auto correct my phone has ever done
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You could always make or buy a Clapton style trem block.