Behold my massive board of pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4772
    Boromedic said:
    Finally got around to rejigging this, sounds great except..... I'm getting a weird chorusing/clock noise on the GB boost despite it being in a loop on the DPC and isloated power from a Cioks DC7.... damn pedal boards!! I'm going to have to pull it out again and work out whats causing the issue, FFS!

Dibs on your Mayo please. 
    No worries!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  :) 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17556
    edited October 2021 tFB Trader

The Boss board is finally complete!

The board is 4 cabled into my DSL via the GT-1000 which it also controls via MIDI meaning I can also replace the preamp with a model from the GT-1000. 

The SD-1W, DC-2W, CE-2W and DM-2W are all my respective favorite pedals of their type. The BD-2W is good, but is really there to make up the numbers and would be replaced with an FZ-2 if they weren't so stupidly expensive at the moment. 

You could argue having a CE-2W and a DC-2W is crazy overkill, but they are both amazing and quite different from each other. (The DC-2W is thicker and more phasey)

The modulations and delays are in loop 2 of the GT so they can be switched in and out.

The GT-1000 is used for Reverb, Noise Gate, Compressor, Wah, Overtone, DS-1X and fun stuff like Terra Echo. 
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    Noiceeeeeee!

• The Boss board is finally complete!

The board is 4 cabled into my DSL via the GT-1000 which it also controls via MIDI meaning I can also replace the preamp with a model from the GT-1000. 

The SD-1W, DC-2W, CE-2W and DM-2W are all my respective favorite pedals of their type. The BD-2W is good, but is really there to make up the numbers and would be replaced with an FZ-2 if they weren't so stupidly expensive at the moment. 

You could argue having a CE-2W and a DC-2W is crazy overkill, but they are both amazing and quite different from each other. (The DC-2W is thicker and more phasey)

The modulations and delays are in loop 2 of the GT so they can be switched in and out.

The GT-1000 is used for Reverb, Noise Gate, Compressor, Wah, Overtone, DS-1X and fun stuff like Terra Echo. 

Damn, mate. That is a fabulous board. Either straight into the PA or into an amp, front E d or in 4CM, that covers everything.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17556
    tFB Trader

The Boss board is finally complete!

Damn, mate. That is a fabulous board. Either straight into the PA or into an amp, front E d or in 4CM, that covers everything.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with it.

Yeah that was the plan. I wanted something that could easily do a non MV amp, a 4CM switching amp, or into the PA (Theoretically it could do both at the same time with the "sub out" on the GT-1000) 
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
     My lockdown project to build myself a fake schmidt array pedalboard out of stuff I had lying around. So it's basically 2 John Lewis kitchen chopping boards covered in thousands of knife cuts that I'd been using for over 10 years and and an old Pedaltrian Nano. Everything else was bits and pieces I'd used on other pedalboards and amps over the years. Only thing I bought was a metre of cowboy tolex for 30 quid. Finished it off this week with the Mulholland Drive centrepiece from @Jtaylor on here. Outstanding drive and ability to move it and other things around with the ES 5 and the HX Stomp internal brain make this super flexible.

0reaction image LOL 26reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    ricky50 said:
     My lockdown project to build myself a fake schmidt array pedalboard out of stuff I had lying around. So it's basically 2 John Lewis kitchen chopping boards covered in thousands of knife cuts that I'd been using for over 10 years and and an old Pedaltrian Nano. Everything else was bits and pieces I'd used on other pedalboards and amps over the years. Only thing I bought was a metre of cowboy tolex for 30 quid. Finished it off this week with the Mulholland Drive centrepiece from @Jtaylor on here. Outstanding drive and ability to move it and other things around with the ES 5 and the HX Stomp internal brain make this super flexible.

So cool. . would love more detail on this!
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    ricky50 said:

Ditto! I'd pay you to make me one!
  • Great job @ricky50 ! You've made me wanna give something a go!

Bye!

• ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    edited October 2021
    ricky50 said:

Here's the detail @mburekenge ;and thanks @sjo89 and @WiresDreamDisasters for your comments

OK – I’m not a woodworker and had never done anything like this before but it was very easy. First step was to bring up a side view of the Schmidt Array 350 from their website and enlarge it to real size on my computer screen.  Then taped tracing paper to the screen and drew a pencil copy template of the side panel.  Took the tracing paper and transferred the shape using my wife’s dressmaking magic stuff onto the kitchen cutting board.  Did this on the cutting board twice to get two sides. Then cut out the two sides from the cutting board.  The cutting board already had curving side edges so it was easy to get the curve without having to carve it by carefully positioning the template to use the curves.  Cutting boards are great because they are immensely strong but thin so the profile is always good and not too chunky like wood would be. Black ones are even better as no painting needed.  Then drilled the holes in the side for the Neutrik barrel jack connectors.  I already had these as I used them on a previous board but they are fairly cheap.  They were perfect because they need no soldering, are made of metal and are very strong and formed the support for the top tier Nano.  They also have little click things which stop the jacks coming out unless you press a small button so they are gig fail-proof.  There is also a cut out for the IEC power connector and a similar cut out for a USB connector on the other side so that I can edit the HX Stomp without having to take it out.

Next step was to take the other cutting board to use as the base and cut it to length. Then you need a strong framework to turn it and the sides into a box.  There are various cheap ways to do this with connector blocks but I hit on the idea of taking another Nano which I happened to have and sort of cutting it in half lengthways (without keeping the middle section) and putting one bit at the front and the other at the back.  This gave me the exact size for the whole thing to accept the top tier Nano and also gave me a perfect rectangle to drill and screw the sides into.  The screws are self tapping for metal and hold the thing together really solid.  The Schmidt Array design is really clever as they use the cut of the sides to form feet which means that the base needs to be raised a bit by about an inch at the back and quarter inch at the front – no big deal.
    The offcuts from the cutting boards gave me the front panel and the 2nd tier base.  I then drilled a hole in either side of the top tier Nano and slid a thin threaded steel rod through.  I had this from my kid’s old trampoline for some reason but you can get it from B&Q for about £4. You can see from the pic where this goes through the top middle of the sides and that allows the top tier Nano to be swiveled up to give access to the inside once it’s all finished.
    Then I went a bit overboard with the cowboy tolex which was very easy.  Just spray the cutting boards with carpet contact adhesive and cut and fold the tolex.  Took a wee bit of practice but there was nothing to it. The Volante’s dinner jacket uses double sided tape which comes off easily so it doesn’t wreck it.
    The whole thing is powered by a Cioks DC7 which sits under the ES 5.  The idea was to have a board that could be entirely analogue which is the middle tier and digital stuff like the HX Stomp can be punched in if wanted and moved about in the chain to where it’s needed by the ES 5.  The Volante allows loads of tweaking on the fly if wanted.  The ES 5 allows the middle tier drives to be unbuffered and buffering to be added for the digital stuff.  The tuner is completely out of the chain. Everything works using the ES 5’s midi.
    That’s basically it – because it was lockdown I had plenty of time to work it out but it was dead easy. Hats off to the Schmidt Array people.  There’s a lot of thought gone into their design and their stuff is head and shoulders above anything else out there but I think mine’s relic look maybe has a bit more attitude.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Boromedic said:
    Finally got around to rejigging this, sounds great except..... I'm getting a weird chorusing/clock noise on the GB boost despite it being in a loop on the DPC and isloated power from a Cioks DC7.... damn pedal boards!! I'm going to have to pull it out again and work out whats causing the issue, FFS!

@Boromedic ;I had a BMF Ge spot that induced clock noise / high pitched whining in other pedals (trem and delay) for some reason, possibly leakage from the Ge. On the other hand, my MFF was fine, which is a GB boost on one side. Germanium components are just so err…random 
    edited October 2021
    Boromedic said:

@Boromedic ;;I had a BMF Ge spot that induced clock noise / high pitched whining in other pedals (trem and delay) for some reason, possibly leakage from the Ge. On the other hand, my MFF was fine, which is a GB boost on one side. Germanium components are just so err…random 
    Hi mate, that's exactly the issue I'm having, I thought it might be the buffer on input one of the DPC but it's not that as I turned it off. I like the MFF, I might try and find one!! Thank you for the info though, that reassures me I've found the culprit! 

• JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    ricky50 said:

Glad the Mulholland Drive went to a good home. The board looks killer as well! 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1807
    Finally got my board sorted.

https://flic.kr/p/2mxK9bt
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30863
    Some changes: the stellar TB2W gets a perm place, the EchoCzar may very well win one.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited October 2021
    Gassage said:
    Some changes: the stellar TB2W gets a perm place, the EchoCzar may very well win one.

As always, James, wow.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Got a Clinch FX Pico-Pre to replace the EP-Pre so I can fit the trem on the board again.

• Interesting @Jota , I have been contemplating swapping my Secret Preamp for a Pico-Pre in order to stash it under the board in much the same way. Interested to know if that volume knob stays in the right spot or constantly needs to be dialed in to where you want it? (silly little fiddly things like this annoy me!). 

I assume you need the volume knob somewhere between zero and full up?
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Interesting @Jota , I have been contemplating swapping my Secret Preamp for a Pico-Pre in order to stash it under the board in much the same way. Interested to know if that volume knob stays in the right spot or constantly needs to be dialed in to where you want it? (silly little fiddly things like this annoy me!). 

I assume you need the volume knob somewhere between zero and full up?
    The volume knob has some kind of rubber band underneath it to prevent from accidentally turning. It doesn't move easily.
    Since I can't turn it off to set it at unity like I did with the EP-Pre (although I tried to alternate between the two to try and get them as close as I could) I just sent an email to Peter Clinch to see how different it is from the pedal in terms of the volume knob.
    I actually just came from rehearsal and something wasn't working right. I checked and I had the Broadcast and the Pico running at 9V and the Supatrem at 18V!
    Put the Supatrem back at 9V, Pico at 12V and Broadcast at 18V and everything sounded perfect. I think my guitar was a bit louder than what it used to so, maybe the volume on the Pico-Pre is set a bit over unity.