Solo of the Month (SotM) #75 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
edited October 2021 in Making Music
This is the 75th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 24th October 2021.

Discussion:
This backing track was kindly provided by @Bellycaster
You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm75-2021-10-bellycaster-cream-cheese?si=0c7b405059fb4ca19d6b528fb6fedee7

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Title: Cream Cheese

BPM: 105

Chord overview...Bellycaster sent me a description on guitar...

X0545X sliding to X0767X and back. 4 Bars

Then when it goes to D it's XX0555 to XX0777 and back. 2 Bars.

Then back to X0545X sliding to X0767X and back. 2 bars

Then Gadd9 to Fmaj7 x 3 cycles

Resolves to AMaj7 at the end.

Working out the exact chords is a bit tricky when you add in the bass notes. I think the chords might be as follows but please let me know if anyone has any better ideas

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm75-2021-10?si=ae8b6c0b2f05410d9990d170cea92a45

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    First recording since getting an Ox box :grin: and first post of my own playing on the FB.

Thanks to @Bellycaster for the excellent backing track - right up my street !

Kit:
    Strat neck pickup > VFE Standout midboost -> MJW Electra 30w -> Ox -> Reaper
    Ox settings were 1x12 Vintage Alnico blue with a light compression and a bit of plate reverb

My approach is generally the same, in that I don't really have any formal musical grounding, I just jam the track through a few times and have a rough plan of what I'm going to do. Took about 5 takes to get one I was really happy with.

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • maharg101 said:
    First recording since getting an Ox box :grin: and first post of my own playing on the FB.

It's in the playlist in the original post.

Great to have another new entrant.

It's not a competition.
  • @Bellycaster sorry I couldn't resist trying to play the some of the solo to Pretzel Logic over the track. I had to bodge it a bit.

It's not a competition.
  • Done mine, which is in the playlist. And not the one in the video above.

It's not a competition.
  • @Bellycaster sorry I couldn't resist trying to play the some of the solo to Pretzel Logic over the track. I had to bodge it a bit.

Ah, I like it. Will have to rename you SkunkMan :) I'd not tried myself as I thought the "Real Riff" was more Minor orientated and that I'd made mine more Major orientated, but I guess the same can be played over either it seems.

Nice Guitar too, one of those recent Roasted Maple? Ibanez Models.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • maharg101 said:

Thanks to @Bellycaster for the excellent backing track - right up my street !

Kit:
    Strat neck pickup > VFE Standout midboost -> MJW Electra 30w -> Ox -> Reaper
    Ox settings were 1x12 Vintage Alnico blue with a light compression and a bit of plate reverb

My approach is generally the same, in that I don't really have any formal musical grounding, I just jam the track through a few times and have a rough plan of what I'm going to do. Took about 5 takes to get one I was really happy with.

Thanks @maharg101 as you may have now guessed, it's a work round of Pretzel Logic :)

Good to have another newbie to the challenges.
    Pretzel Logic, eh ? Had to google that. I'll give it a listen ;)
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited October 2021
    @Bellycaster sorry I couldn't resist trying to play the some of the solo to Pretzel Logic over the track. I had to bodge it a bit...

Ah, I like it. Will have to rename you SkunkMan I'd not tried myself as I thought the "Real Riff" was more Minor orientated and that I'd made mine more Major orientated, but I guess the same can be played over either it seems.

What I played is a bit of a bodge to make it fit. I had to drop the final part down a tone, compared to the original.

Yes that's my relatively new Ibanez AZ2402 with a roasted maple neck. Now I want the AZ2204 HSS version.

It's not a competition.
  • @Bellycaster sorry I couldn't resist trying to play the some of the solo to Pretzel Logic over the track. I had to bodge it a bit...

Ah, I like it. Will have to rename you SkunkMan I'd not tried myself as I thought the "Real Riff" was more Minor orientated and that I'd made mine more Major orientated, but I guess the same can be played over either it seems.

What I played is a bit of a bodge to make it fit. I had to drop the final part down a tone, compared to the original.

Yes that's my relatively new Ibanez AZ2402 with a roasted maple neck. Now I want the AZ2204 HSS version.

Nice. I learned the rhythm Guitar to it, but I'll have to have a cracking at the actual solo after this is done.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited October 2021
    One from @Bennyboy-UK added to the playlist.

@Bennyboy-UK I used the title from the first two words in your email. Hopefully that's OK.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    edited October 2021
    I've put one together, its not 100% perfect, but I used the opportunity to have a crack at splicing audio with video for a laugh.

Try not to laugh too much at the bum bits

Cool guitar though, hey?  

It’s a USA Mockingbird on bridge HB (Dimarzio Super Distortion) for the first spiky part, then the only change is switch to both pickups on for the more melodic half - the other pickup is a Dimarzio PAF. None of the other electronics on the guitar were used.

Then though an FM3 with the 100w Plexi high sensitivity input amp model and a TS on the front, I’ll check the IR as I can’t recall offhand. Some reverb and delay after that. 

I’m still using GarageBand at present.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    edited October 2021
    One from @Bennyboy-UK added to the playlist.

@Bennyboy-UK I used the title from the first two words in your email . Hopefully that's OK.

Bollocks - I was doing a few things at once and forgot to give it a name! - thats cool though!

• That's a very rock god guitar.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice axe @Bennyboy-UK ;
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks chaps, I wanted one since I was little and saw an ad for one in International Musician in about 1982. I bought this one in about 2006ish.

Its silly and outrageous but it’s a super guitar and smaller than you might think.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
    edited October 2021
    Sent mine in. Used a USA Tele on Neck pick up into Fender Modeling Amp in Cubase/GuitarRig, plus a bit of T.S, Reverb, Delay and subtle Tremolo effect.

Recorded the last passage day after as I'd run out of ideas day before. It's sounds slightly different as I had the Strat out that day and just plugged in and went with that 

Also thought it benefitted from a couple of harmonies in the right places.

• Sent mine in.

It's in the playlist. That makes 4.

It's not a competition.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    Sent one in! Despite including Pretzel Logic in my top 5 albums of all time list, I completely failed to make the connection here. Clearly I need to give it another listen, although that's no hardship. To me the backing made me think of Led Zeppelin's Down By The Seaside, hence the slidey tremolo thing in my entry. 

I was trying to get across the idea of a conversation between the woozy slide which I played (after a fashion) on my 335 and the twang of the tele. It was all done direct into Ampire in Studio One.
  • DrHungry said:
    Sent one in...
    And that makes 5 entries in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent mine in. Used a USA Tele on Neck pick up into Fender Modeling Amp in Cubase/GuitarRig, plus a bit of T.S, Reverb, Delay and subtle Tremolo effect.

Recorded the last passage day after as I'd run out of ideas day before. It's sounds slightly different as I had the Strat out that day and just plugged in and went with that 

Also thought it benefitted from a couple of harmonies in the right places.

That’s very cool. I started out trying to play through my one with three separate sections and recording them all on different tracks to give myself a chance to get each bit as clean as possible.

In the end I had a few goes at playing it all in one go and enjoyed learning to take the audio track and overlay iPhone video - I went with that in the end.

I guess doing the parts separately and also adding overdubs etc is going to be something I try out next. It’s a lot of fun and listening to the entries is great to see how differently this can all be done!

I think getting involved in SOTM is a great means for learning new recording and writing techniques - I’ve got a lot from it already.