Case material questions

What's Hot
I am thinking of making something I've had in mind for years and I'll require some case cloth and foam that's used to build guitar cases with.

Is this stuff unique to guitar cases?  I know some finishes on guitars are particularly sensitive with what they come into contact, so as what I have in mind is potentially marketable (although it doesn't necessarily mean I will), I want to make sure I'm not using anything that could be detrimental to the guitar's finish.

My next question is, where can I acquire this stuff.  I can find plenty of sources for crushed velour/velvet (if that's all it is) but nothing that specifically states it's intended use is guitar/instrument cases or is guitar finish safe.

With regard to the foam used, is there anything special about it (same paranoia exists over damaging the finish) or are the materials used for padding just run of the mill stuff?  I imagine they are but worth asking all the same.

I've also read some sources that state the actual cloth/foam used cannot damage the finish of the guitar and it's usually the solvents in the glue used to bond the different parts together that affect the finish.

Is this true?  To a point I can see the logic, although I don't think I'd want to wrap my guitar in a case lined with sack cloth.

Thanks in advance.  As and when I've built the prototype I might show it off here, it'll probably be another couple of decades though knowing me, and given time constraints that boring and mundane aspects of life inflict on one's life.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited October 2021 tFB Trader
    I relined a case a while back, I bought upholstery foam and cotton velvet. My ES-330 didn't suffer.

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2016/09/19/relining-a-guitar-case/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    I relined a case a while back, I bought upholstery foam and cotton velvet. My ES-330 didn't suffer.

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2016/09/19/relining-a-guitar-case/
    Thank you @SteveRobinson, that's good to know.

As and when I get my project going I'll post my progress, assuming I make any.

I'm working on getting jigs and tools made at the moment so I'm a while away from putting the spade into the earth, so to speak.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    Most case manufacturers used to use solvent based contact adhesive for sticking down the lining.  You can now buy contact adhesive that is either water-based or has very low volatile solvent content just as gloss paint is now "water based" and doesn't let off eye-stinging solvents for a long time.  There was mention of such a non-solvent contact adhesive in a question about recovering an amp of speaker cabinet with Tolex recently and one of the expert members gave a link to the kind of glue to use.  I will try and find it again.

As for the padding, I repurposed the thicker sheets of extruded polyethylene foam from the packaging inside new guitar shipping boxes for this purpose.  I hang onto that stuff because I have found so many uses for it over the years.
    I'm hoping I won't need to use any glue for the lining, it shouldn't need it, but just in case if you do find the link then that would be appreciated, thank you.

• davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    I've used evostik impact solvent free to tolex cabinets, worked great and hasn't peeled one bit. The solvent free has a little green flag on the tin but otherwise looks the same as the version with solvents.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    I can't find the discussion about tolex covering that mentioned the suggested adhesive.  It was probably hidden within another broader topic.  I think most of the big names like Evo-Stik (same group as Bostik) will have solvent free replacements or alternatives, as davros has described.
    Thank you, folks!