0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Looks very interesting and not stupidly pricey 
  • @Paul_C i believe has one
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

Not for long . . . I'll have two by next week :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:

Not for long . . . I'll have two by next week :)

!!! Wait what?! So what's your setup going to look like then?

Mostly two Beebos and two Zoias, one each at the beginning and the other two at the end, with a few other things in between, Count To Five, Ghost Fax etc..

I've uploaded 100 patches to a Google drive folder and have another 16 waiting to go, as compared to the Zoia, making patches is a breeze. I'm leaving you and the others to create things for the Zoia ;)

• You should upload them to Patchstorage if you haven't already:

Definitely interested in the Beebo, but studio monitors and some sort of amp stand/worksurface to go over amp are probably my next purchases. That and cables.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Paul_C said:

Mostly two Beebos and two Zoias, one each at the beginning and the other two at the end, with a few other things in between, Count To Five, Ghost Fax etc..

I've uploaded 100 patches to a Google drive folder and have another 16 waiting to go, as compared to the Zoia, making patches is a breeze. I'm leaving you and the others to create things for the Zoia ;)

So your obviously impressed mate !

Tell me about them :)

Paul_C said:

So your obviously impressed mate !

Tell me about them :)

I am, I like it a lot.

You do have to bear in mind the sort of sounds/noises I like making though ;)

The 116 patches so far (bearing in mind that many of them are x with phaser, x with reverse etc.) have been made within a month of getting it, so it's not too hard to get into. It does have its limitations, I'm sure, but for what I like to do it's a lot of fun.

As for Patchstorage, the need to start a GitHub account to upload to, write a description, find an image etc. for each patch is too much faffing around for me at the moment.

Here's a link to the folders of patches if any Beebo owners want some.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    It's undoubtedly brilliant. It sounds amazing. It is oh so flexible. It can do anything you can think of. It can do much more than you can think of. You will get lost trying to figure out what the modules do. You will use about 10% of it.

Get one.

I bought into it it quite early. It was two concepts: Digit / Beebo (well only Digit to start with, then Beebo came along, now Hector). Digit was Reverbs and stuff, Beebo was modular synth. The unit had two selectable firmware 'sides' and you picked whether you wanted Digit or Beebo. The two are now rolled together - so you can hook up a midi keyboard to a set of synth modules (OSC / filters etc...) and then into reverbs and delays. It has pitch detection so you can play your synth with guitar. Or you could send the pitch detected signal out via midi to control a  real synth. Or you could just use it as the best reverb pedal.

There a lot of function blocks that allow you to control things. So you can LFO delay repeats or set up swirling stereo outs. It's even got logic gates. Everything is midi or footswitch controllable, and it's 'select module / assign footswitch' easy to do.

A lot of the modules are ports of Mutable Instruments. There are sequencer modules and now a Looper (Loopler) which can do all sorts of mad things.

The best thing is the updates. The developer (Loki) is very active and is constantly adding to it and tweaking it. The recent release of Hector (eurorack version with more in/out) has prompted a load of new features. To be honest, I'm struggling to keep up with them all but the interface is constantly being improved as well as new modules being added (all for free!).

Watch some of the Leon Todd youtube videos to see how it all works.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of @Paul_C patches.

My main criticisms of it are that it can get deep if you want it to and figuring it all out, you're on your own really. Don't expect a full manual holding your hand. You need to get stuck in and try stuff. The community is great and you don't need to always be creating super complex patches. Like I say, it's a brilliant reverb pedal on it's own if that's all you want from it. Or a brilliant delay  phaser / flanger / tremelo / whatever combination.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    @Paul_C ;
    @blobb ;

Thanks for your thoughts - appreciate it !

Am I right in thinking that i cant use effects from Beebo AND Digit at the same time ?

Hence the need for two ?
    edited October 2021

There is no separate Beebo and Digit now, only Beebo.

I have two reasons for wanting two Beebos - to be able to run one patch into a second (same reason I have two Zoias) and "look at me, I have two" (having had two Count To 5s and two BitQuests in the past for similar reasons).
    Yup, all running on one firmware version now.

What would you be looking to do with it?

blobb said:

Implementing it into my rig, and using the OP1 with it too.
    See quite a few building rigs around it. The midi control implementation gets a lot of attention if that's your thing. The original philosophy was not to see it as a preset device i.e. switching pre-sets mid song. You build one pre-set per song and switch individual modules in/out from the one screen.

I mostly play guitar through it with the standard guitar type effects, but I wanted a guitar playable synth / synth controller for external hardware so onset detection / triggers and pitch detection were high up. It does that but I'm still not 100% on getting the sensitivity right to play the built in multi OSC via guitar. Once I get that worked out, I've built a few interesting synth chains. There are different filters and wot not. The multi input / output lets you do different things at the same time with the split signals. And then use the effected signal to control other things. Crazy.

blobb said:
    See quite a few building rigs around it. The midi control implementation gets a lot of attention if that's your thing. The original philosophy was not to see it as a preset device i.e. switching pre-sets mid song. You build one pre-set per song and switch individual modules in/out from the one screen.

I mostly play guitar through it with the standard guitar type effects, but I wanted a guitar playable synth / synth controller for external hardware so onset detection / triggers and pitch detection were high up. It does that but I'm still not 100% on getting the sensitivity right to play the built in multi OSC via guitar. Once I get that worked out, I've built a few interesting synth chains. There are different filters and wot not. The multi input / output lets you do different things at the same time with the split signals. And then use the effected signal to control other things. Crazy.

Thanks for the thoughts mate...

I've got one coming tomorrow from Andertons :)
  • blobb said:

Implementing it into my rig, and using the OP1 with it too.
    If you are using vanilla, stock sounds in a traditional sense (flanger, phaser, reverb etc) I wouldn't bother. 
    You're not getting the full benefit of the unit and I think there are better sounding individual sounds elsewhere to be had.

If you want to have lfos controlling depth on a flanger and splitting off sounds in stereo to feed a bit crusher and some mental delay with a separate clean signal all at once then you are on the right track.

I haven't switched mine on for a while and I am sure I am many update versions behind but I can't remember how instant patch swaps are. I see to recall there is a delay. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I did miss the main point of feedback though.

I love the thing. Works brilliantly for recording and more esoteric uses
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I did miss the main point of feedback though.

I love the thing. Works brilliantly for recording and more esoteric uses
    thanks Jack - sounds like what Im after 
    Switching presets can take a bit of time to load up, depends on how complex it is. Switching modules on/off within a preset is instant. So create a 'board' within one preset and assign switches accordingly.  You can have a lot of modules running in a single preset, the DSP is quite powerful and the screen is big enough to let you fit stuff in. Loki made the GUI more efficient in a recent patch, so screen update is quicker now and the menu system has improved a lot since he started out. Connecting modules is really simple now, I still want an 'insert' option though, to save disconnecting / reconnecting everything.

Well done getting hold of one. They are (were) in short supply due to lock down in Melbourne + Hector roll out.

Top tip: get one of those pens with rubber tips used for iPads and touch screens. Better than dabbing at it with sausage fingers.

• ClassicClassic Frets: 40
    The challenge with any of these units is deciding what you’d like to do with it. The Beebo can do a lot but don’t think you’d want it to do everything.

the other aspect is I never found a way to engage/disengage a footswitch and the effect consistently via midi. I could engage the footswitch or the effect but then they’d be out of sync with each other. Resolve that and it the world is your oyster.