Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Windows 11 is dog shit

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
And I woke up too early and there's no coffee.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    I just find it the same as Windows 10... but rounder...

The new configurable settings from the system tray are cool.  Not so fond of the new explorer where by default they have changed the menu items for icons.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    I haven't seen it but I hate it already.  I would have happily stayed on 7 if I could.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I haven't seen it.  I need to turn on the TPM stuff in my BIOS if I want to install it.

I'll wait a couple of months at least.
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    edited October 2021
    Not much has changed really, but I like it a lot.  While it's still missing some small features from Windows 10 - drag on to apps on taskbar is the main one for me - it's cleaner, seems more responsive, and has finally sorted out the Settings page to give a more cohesive experience.

The new window arrange modes that are accessed by hovering over the maximize button and window groups are brilliant.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    I don't like the thin highlights on context menus (right-click on the waste basket).
    edited October 2021
    Philtre said:
    I don't like the thin highlights on context menus (right-click on the waste basket).
    I hadn't noticed that before but you're right, the context menu on the desktop system icon are different to everything else.  I've been using W11 since the first Dev release, and they have been rectifying discrepancies with that sort of thing all the time, so it's possible that's in line to get sorted.

EDIT : It's been fixed in build 22454 apparently so will filter through eventually.
  • Seems very stable so far. The one thing that does annoy me is the new right click menu. Cut/Copy/Paste have been in the same position since window 3.1.
    Now replaced by icon, however these can either be on top of the menu, at the bottom or hidden behind the More features sub menu. Not consistent and takes a little bit longer.
  • I'm interested in the Windows 11 thread director. I'm curious how it will affect audio and 3D production.

Bye!

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I'm pleased for the people I do business with that 11 is out as it will stir up some trade for them, but I've come to hate 10 with a passion and aren't exactly keen to investigate 11 myself. MS had a wonderful OS in 7 and just destroyed it to jump on the touchscreen band wagon and have never really got back to a great non touch GUI. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I'm interested in the Windows 11 thread director. I'm curious how it will affect audio and 3D production.
    Same, but it's my understanding that it needs a 12th gen Intel processor and I'm not looking to upgrade for a long time yet.  My 9th gen is more than adequate for my needs right now.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Old men unable to cope with new Operating System shock :lol: 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bod said:
    I'm interested in the Windows 11 thread director. I'm curious how it will affect audio and 3D production.
    Same, but it's my understanding that it needs a 12th gen Intel processor and I'm not looking to upgrade for a long time yet.  My 9th gen is more than adequate for my needs right now.
    I've got an AMD 5950X here, but I'm more curious about how it will affect other people; might be that my work needs to incorporate some changes to take full advantage. But it's too early to tell and I don't know enough about it yet.

Bye!

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PC_Dave said:
    If it was new I'd agree with you. But it's old dog shit served up as "new" dog shit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philtre said:
    PC_Dave said:
    If it was new I'd agree with you. But it's old dog shit served up as "new" dog shit.

So what's your beef other than context menus?  I genuinely can't see anything wrong that really warrants that sort of reaction? 
    Bod said:
    Philtre said:
    PC_Dave said:

So what's your beef other than context menus?  I genuinely can't see anything wrong that really warrants that sort of reaction? 
    It's an absolutely pointless "upgrade". The minimum hardware requirements, TPM 2.0 mandatory, interface that's a confusing mess, Home version requires an MS account, more privacy tracking, ad-centric, the desperate bid to push Edge as default browser...it brings absolutely nothing to the party.
  • My least favourite thing about it is that there does not seem to be a way to display the time/date in the task bar on the second screen.
  • Ah yes forgot the multi screen issue. So you click on the start button in the second screen. Click on the search bar and the menu closes. You can only search on the primary screen.
    edited October 2021
    I see it as Microsoft finally throwing some of the legacy stuff out of the window in order to improve the platform going forward.  They've often been criticised for not doing this in the past, but are finally being bold enough to deal with it.  Apple have done/do many of the things you mention above for many years, especially minimum hardware requirements and forced obsolescence.

So, picking on  "interface that's a confusing mess", what's confusing?
  • I'm in no rush, I'll let everyone else find the bugs :) 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom