Voting For Composition Challenge 33

What's Hot
This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread.

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Composition Challenge

REMINDER OF THE THEME
The theme for this one is: music for a SciFi film or TV show

Compose a tune, or recycle something you've composed previously.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

VOTING AND DATES
Voting System - voters can pick their favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

The entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc. 

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is not allowed)

Voting ends midnight 15th October 2021, and the results will be announced shortly after.

No prizes, it's just for fun.

PLAYLIST
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited October 2021
    Ok I’ll get the voting started...
    5 points @stratman3142 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; - It was close between this and snap’s, but I just really like the vocal hook and sample in this. Reminds me of a 90s video game soundtrack
    3 Points @Snap - Epic sci fi soundtrack...Hans zimmer-esque in parts 
    1 Point @Habanero - Very cool, I would love to hear an extended version...ends way too soon. Love the industrial vibe.

Shoutout to poopot as well, great track. I’m just partial to sci fi soundtracks  

As a side note, I’m not happy with the sound quality of my track....best to listen to this version as I’ve uploaded the original wav and there’s a night and day difference compared to encoding twice via mp3 + soundcloud. 
    edited October 2021
    Duplicate
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    oh this one has been hard to separate for votes. They are all cracking.

So, 5 pts to @Springywheel - it's the synth leads that clinched it, and how they fit so well with the guitar. Great stuff. 

3pts to @stratman3142, just love the synths and the sort of revolving beat. Good title as it has a vibe of the Orb too, especially the stuff done with Dave Gilmour a few years ago.

1pt to @Habanero - again, cracking, and I am a sucker for sampled film clips.

I really like the Dirty Snake Mouth track, and I can hear it in a film, but I'm just a big fan of all things synth mate.

I enjoyed this comp. 

On sound, @springywheel I listened to the wav and yeah you can deffo hear a difference. I noticed a similar thing with my track, the SC encoding seemed to highlight my shite mixing skills particularly in the low end. Well that's what I blame it on.......ha ha

• Any ideas for the theme for the next one. It would be good to choose a theme that keeps things as open as possible.

It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    Any ideas for the theme for the next one. It would be good to choose a theme that keeps things as open as possible.

You could always just use something like this to come up with a song title

It's been very hard to separate these...

5pts : @Snap I definitely has the end credits of the next Bladerunner scrolling past my eyes listening to this one. I particularly liked the various sections and the smooth transitions.

3pts : @stratman3142 This was a close second, mainly for the reason given above

1pts : @Springywheel This is very good too, but I thought the other two were more 'sci-fi-ish'

I also like the track by Dirty Snake Mouth (comprising @poopot and @IMC1980) but thought it sounded more like something from a possible future 'Young Guns 3' soundtrack.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    edited October 2021
    Snap said:

...3pts to @stratman3142, ...Good title as it has a vibe of the Orb too...

Thanks for the votes. I originally chose 'Orb' as the title because I thought it would be easy to create a picture of it in Blender 3D Then it seemed to fit the music.

In the past I've chosen titles without considering how I would create a picture, which is often the hardest bit for me.

It's not a competition.
    Have a listen to Metallic Spheres - Orb + Dave Gilmour. Dead good.
  • Snap said:

Just found it on Youtube. I'll set aside some time in future to listen to it, as it's 1 hr 39 min.

It's not a competition.

Thanks for the votes. I originally chose 'Orb' as the title because I thought it would be easy to create a picture of it in Blender 3D Then it seemed to fit the music.

In the past I've chosen titles without considering how I would create a picture, which is often the hardest bit for me.

I didn't hear Blender mentioned for a few years. I used to be a whizz on Imagine back when the Amiga was in it's heyday.

Snap said:

Just found it on Youtube. I'll set aside some time in future to listen to it, as it's 1 hr 39 min.

not sure what that is, but the album is only about 50 mins. I've got it on CD. Got it with an extra CD recorded in 360 audio, which sounds quite cool too.
    edited October 2021
    Snap said:

...3pts to @stratman3142, ...Good title as it has a vibe of the Orb too...

I did things a little backwards.... I like to dabble with photoshop and  designed my image first, (curated and spliced together from other sources) which then inspired my track. 

Snap said:
    On sound, @springywheel I listened to the wav and yeah you can deffo hear a difference. I noticed a similar thing with my track, the SC encoding seemed to highlight my shite mixing skills particularly in the low end. Well that's what I blame it on.......ha ha

Yours sounds good to be fair, but yeah  I guess a strong mix sounds good regardless of how it's encoded! Still reckon we should upload WAVs anyway just for the composition and cover challenges, and not for ROTM or SOTM where mixing isn't the focus. 

• All very close for me.

5 points : @Snap : This sounded the most sci fi to me and, as mentioned earlier, epic and zimmer-esque
    3 points : @Springywheel : Good production and good use of stereo imagery.
    1 point : @Habanero : The most fun. Quite quirky. I really liked this.

Dirty Snake Mouth @poopot was a fantastic track, but a bit of a departure from the theme..

It's not a competition.
    edited October 2021
    Any ideas for the theme for the next one. It would be good to choose a theme that keeps things as open as possible

Horror track? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any ideas for the theme for the next one. It would be good to choose a theme that keeps things as open as possible

Horror track? 
    That works for me.
    It's not a competition.
    Yeah, I would be happy to have a go at a horror track. 
    Adams Family theme anyone? 
    edited October 2021
    Best to leave it open rather than all focus on a specific track. I’m thinking of doing a cross between death metal and munsters :evil:
  • Actually I nearly suggested industrial...but in the style of its first incarnation, pre ministry, nine inch nails, skinny puppy etc. (I.e. throbbing gristle). So the challenge would be to ditch traditional instruments and make tracks out of sfx generated from your environment....shopping trolleys, pans, metal bars, tin foil etc. Probably wouldn’t get as much involvement as horror, but we could maybe keep that in mind for a future challenge :) 
  • Voting ends tomorrow (15th October) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
    Actually I nearly suggested industrial...but in the style of its first incarnation, pre ministry, nine inch nails, skinny puppy etc. (I.e. throbbing gristle). So the challenge would be to ditch traditional instruments and make tracks out of sfx generated from your environment....shopping trolleys, pans, metal bars, tin foil etc. Probably wouldn’t get as much involvement as horror, but we could maybe keep that in mind for a future challenge :) 
    You know I'm not really much of a fan of early industrial, i prefer the later stuff when it became a bit more melodic. I find some of the early music by Cabaret Voltaire, Gristle etc to be unlistenable. Very creative, and certainly pioneering, but not something I enjoy listening to. I don't mind a bit of noise, but not endless minutes of it.