Stones drop Brown Sugar from US tour set list

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    BillDL said:
    Brown Sugar's lyrics are right there in your face.  They neither condemn nor glorify the abhorrence of the slave trade, but they do make me wince.
    Is that a bad thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    octatonic said:
    Just wait until people read the lyrics to 'Fucked with a Knife' by Cannibal Corpse.
    Yeah, and it was a staple of my band's set at weddings and birthday parties.  Chiz.

Oh well, there's always "Meat Hook Sodomy" to fall back on.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited October 2021
    Changing a setlist does not usually make the headlines.
    Strange that people should attach such value to it.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    edited October 2021
    steven70 said:
    It’s just that the Rolling Stones have been the highest grossing live act for every decade back to 1980, Brown Sugar is one of their biggest hits, and it’s been a constant fixture of their live set for half a century.   So yes, newsworthy.
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Cols said:
    steven70 said:
    It’s just that the Rolling Stones have been the highest grossing live act for every decade back to 1980, Brown Sugar I’d one of their biggest hits, and it’s been a constant fixture of their live set for half a century.   So yes, newsworthy.
    Yes, all this, and the fact that the lyrics are politically 'sensitive'.
  • octatonic said:
    Just wait until people read the lyrics to 'Fucked with a Knife' by Cannibal Corpse.
    How about Meat Hook Sodomy? I love a good concept album. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    edited October 2021
    We've been playing it for years - I had no idea what the lyrics were. I'm not normally a lyrics person but seeing them in written form has shown me I've not been paying attention. Is Honky Tonk Women ok? 
    I believe a "honky tonk woman" is a hooker in a honky tonk bar (itself named after the sound of the piano).
    Could be urban myth, but I believe many moons ago Cliff recorded a version and then deleted it when he found out what the lyric meant.

EDIT: Seems Cliff recorded a different song - Honky Tonk Angel.   Similar subject matter, though, obvs.

• I think that the song Honky Tonk Woman is definitely about a hooker, even if it's not a term in wider use "she tried to take me upstairs for a ride" isn't hugely ambiguous!

But I believe you are right, honky tonks were bars where that sort of thing carried on a lot, so it would certainly make sense.

I don't think the song is in particular danger of being blacklisted for glorifying sex trafficking, but you never know.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    I hope The Rolling Stones aren't becoming politically correct in their old age. In the old days, they would have said, tough shite, those are the lyrics, deal with it. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ.