Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Windows 11 is dog shit

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    randella said:
    randella said:
    anyone remember trying to install a driver for a no-mark printer in DOS 6?
    I think I was 9 years old :lol:
    I wasn't much older, but the job still fell to me as the only one in the house who had an interest in tech. By the time I got to a work setting I think we were on Win 98 which I guess you could call an improvement :)
    I remember everyone sticking with Win 98SE because everyone hated XP.. for ages.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, nothing changes.

Eventually they will either fix any issues with Windows 11 (I've found no major ones yet, but still testing it before pushing it out to my users) and it will become a well used version (98SE, 2000, XP, 7, 10) or it will become one of the unloved versions that get quietly forgotten (ME, Vista, 8, 8.1...).

Do you have make any GP changes, or does it work with Windows 10 polices? Not looked into it yet ?
    We are slowly upgrading to Windows 10.

It so far seems very, very similar to Win 10, certainly all the important basic stuff is the same, logos, desktop icons, vpns, the stuff i use a lot anyhow, the GPs all still apply fine.

It's funny seeing the new round controls on my own Visual Studio systems as well, freshen up old windows forms controls rather nicely!

I've been using it a few months at home, and quite like it so far.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    randella said:
    randella said:
    anyone remember trying to install a driver for a no-mark printer in DOS 6?
    I think I was 9 years old lol
    I wasn't much older, but the job still fell to me as the only one in the house who had an interest in tech. By the time I got to a work setting I think we were on Win 98 which I guess you could call an improvement
    I remember everyone sticking with Win 98SE because everyone hated XP.. for ages.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, nothing changes.

Eventually they will either fix any issues with Windows 11 (I've found no major ones yet, but still testing it before pushing it out to my users) and it will become a well used version (98SE, 2000, XP, 7, 10) or it will become one of the unloved versions that get quietly forgotten (ME, Vista, 8, 8.1...).
    As I recall, the reason everyone stuck with 98SE was because Me was useless, 2000's interface was still too NT-like and - to begin with - there were still a lot of games that only ran in a proper DOS environment, which wasn't available in the NT-family versions of Windows. That pretty much evaporated as soon as the first true GPUs came out and there weren't any useful drivers for the DOS-based Windows family.

Oh, and businesses who'd cheaped out on their software development and couldn't run any of their core business apps on anything newer than DOS 6.0 ;)

I remember a lot of people at the time just defaulting to "it's new = it's shit"...  XP was pretty ropey on certain fronts until SP2... the last update I got off the front of a magazine I think!

I'm using an AMD processor in both my work and home laptops and perceived Win 11 a bit FASTER if anything, though benchmarks don't lie, so I'd assume it's the usual trickery.

As for the TPM requirement... I'm not bothered, Win 10 is supported until 2025 and very few of us will be using PCs without one by then, and then there will be Linux support I suspect for very much longer.  No need to throw anything out.  Just installed the latest Ubuntu on my old home desktop pc in the office, an i3-2125 and still runs great!  My linux box of choice now (I always like to have one, just in case a nasty ever takes down all my windows pcs).
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom