Bass cabs etc

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
@fretmeister ;

Yes, I've got a Glockenkang 4x10 which is amazing but it is also 30kg.
What are you using as an amp?

I've got an SVT-7 Pro and it is brutally loud with the 4x10.
I am hoping the BB3 will be perfect for most of my gigs.
I can also use it as an FRFR cab for modular stuff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited October 2021
    Deleted
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
    Tech21 VTBass 500 at the moment into my Super Twin.

Very nice!
    The BB3 will be excellent. 

The 12XN cabs are very honest so you might find you need different EQ to your 4x10. The BB and BT series are pretty much super flat PA speakers (far more of a true FRFR than most FRFR) and some people get annoyed when they have to change their EQ settings!

Weirdos.

The BB and the BT are fantastic with modellers for guitar as well. They will faithfully reproduce whatever IR is thrown at it.
    There's even a few 1 man in a pub corner types using them for everything as a mini PA.

I did think about getting the Big Twin but then I realised on every bass cab I've ever owned I've always tuned the tweeter off. Even when I slap I prefer the Larry Graham / Freddie Washington sort of tone rather than the Marcus Miller thing.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    The BB3 will be excellent. 

The 12XN cabs are very honest so you might find you need different EQ to your 4x10. The BB and BT series are pretty much super flat PA speakers (far more of a true FRFR than most FRFR) and some people get annoyed when they have to change their EQ settings!

Weirdos.

The BB and the BT are fantastic with modellers for guitar as well. They will faithfully reproduce whatever IR is thrown at it.
    There's even a few 1 man in a pub corner types using them for everything as a mini PA.

I did think about getting the Big Twin but then I realised on every bass cab I've ever owned I've always tuned the tweeter off. Even when I slap I prefer the Larry Graham / Freddie Washington sort of tone rather than the Marcus Miller thing.
    Yes I expect it to.

Yeah EQing a hardware amp takes 2 seconds so I don't see the issue.
    If you have to reprogram a modeller then maintaining loads of different patches can be a pain.

I actually ordered the Big Twin but then Alex told me about the BB3 coming that could accommodate a rack width so that made logical sense.
    I will probably order another one so I can stack them, or run them in stereo.

I very much need dual guitar and bass functionality from them, as well as small PA and modular amplification.
    Really general purpose boxes these.
    If you ever decide to not want a power amp etc and want an actual powered cab for both with a modeller then the RCF 745A is a cracking bit of kit. At about £1000 it's not cheap, but all the moans about the little headrush type things just don't apply to a proper unit.

Still, next thing I'm saving up for is probably a GK head. I've always liked the sound but I've never owned one and the new Legacy series is well regarded.
    If you ever decide to not want a power amp etc and want an actual powered cab for both with a modeller then the RCF 745A is a cracking bit of kit. At about £1000 it's not cheap, but all the moans about the little headrush type things just don't apply to a proper unit.

Still, next thing I'm saving up for is probably a GK head. I've always liked the sound but I've never owned one and the new Legacy series is well regarded.
    I've got a Matrix power amp here and when using the modular there are loads of other mixers and boots and pieces so no really need for me right now.
    I have demoed the RCF before, it is great but I do prefer unpowered cabs fr the most part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Tech21 VTBass 500 at the moment into my Super Twin.

Very nice!
    Those Tech21 VTBass 500's are fabulous. Our bassist uses GK800RB's and has the new Legacy, too, but he was getting GK sounds out of the Tech 21 as well as Ampeg sounds. Clean to dirty and great for funk or rock - he uses Spector basses and a Genz Benz cab and it's a great unit that he picked up from Thomann. I think they're discontinued but I was very impressed with the range of sounds
    They are still listed on the T21 site so I'm assuming Thomann just didn't want to stock them anymore.

I got mine in the blowout for about £220 delivered. Best bargain I've ever had!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It has arrived.
    Really fantastic little box.
    I can see myself selling the 4x10 and buying another of these.
    So light but the sound is amazing.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    They are still listed on the T21 site so I'm assuming Thomann just didn't want to stock them anymore.

I got mine in the blowout for about £220 delivered. Best bargain I've ever had!
    Listed, but not for sale, and absolutely nowhere seems to have them in stock. So I think they properly have been discontinued, and you nabbed yourself a fantastic bargain. Not that I'm jealous. Much.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well in that case I'm hoping a Mk2 is coming.

Ideally with a built in compressor, and a 5 band EQ.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Well in that case I'm hoping a Mk2 is coming.

Ideally with a built in compressor, and a 5 band EQ.
    Mmm, yes, that would be nice!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2021
    The BB3, if I understand correctly, is an FRFR. Is there a good lightweight FRFR amp head or power amp that would work well with it for both bass and guitar, with my Helix LT?

It's not a competition.
    Matrix / Powersoft / Yamaha

Any PA amp really.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2021
    Matrix / Powersoft / Yamaha

Any PA amp really.

I guess my real question is whether there's a good lightweight FRFR amp that can drive one 8ohm cab with enough ooomph for bass as well as guitar?

It's not a competition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    stratman3142 said:

I guess my real question is whether there's a good lightweight FRFR amp that can drive one 8ohm cab with enough ooomph for bass as well as guitar?
    A lightweight Class D bass head.

It’s not so much amps that are (or not) FRFR, as speakers. If you turn off all the EQ, ‘voicing’ etc, a modern bass amp is fairly close to flat response.

I’ve used an old Trace Elliot bass head for PA, it sounded fantastic.

I keep meaning to try my bass amp for guitar, just haven’t got around to it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BorkBork Frets: 252
    edited October 2021
    ICBM said:
    Ironically, Trace Elliot started life as PA amp makers so some of those earlier amps are likely to share quite a bit in common with PA amps.  Not sure about the later ones though, they tended to sound a bit over coloured to me. 

ICBM said:
    stratman3142 said:

A lightweight Class D bass head.
    I've been using Class D heads for the last...20 years for this reason.  Originally it was one of the old Peavey DPC power amps with a Lexicon MPXG2 for a pre but changed to lightweight Genz Benz Shuttles since about 2009.   There's a time and a place for coloured amps for sure, but for the basses I was using, unscooped midrange sounded best on stage.

[This space for rent]

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Bork said:
    ICBM said:
    Ironically, Trace Elliot started life as PA amp makers so some of those earlier amps are likely to share quite a bit in common with PA amps.  Not sure about the later ones though, they tended to sound a bit over coloured to me.
    Yes, it was an old MkV AH250. With the pre-shape and the graphic off it sounded almost completely flat to me - although I did use the graphic for PA as well. I once grabbed it for a small gig when I couldn't be bothered taking my full rackmount system on the grounds that it was 'a power amp and a graphic EQ in the same box', and it sounded great. I used it for preference for small gigs after that, with a pair of old HH 1x12" cabs with their equivalent of EV drivers... compact and loud.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks for the advice on power amps. Sorry to deflect the thread a bit.

It's not a competition.