Mix Challenge - The Flame

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited October 2021 in Making Music
Morning Peeps...

Time for another Mix challenge methinks...

This time you can all have a crack at "The Flame" A single released by that excellent bunch of lads "Dirty Snake Mouth"

The single can be heard here:
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/the-flame-single/1586506595
or here:
https://open.spotify.com/track/3hj7Hm72IXHvAQ3xNcNB8X?si=c5c9ec193c8a4721
or here:
https://deezer.page.link/VNWe5jPH4Z2TWL669
or here
https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B09GN98G8Z
or here:
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UZK5rSgKA

The aim is to get a good mix from the tracks supplied (of which there are many)

If you want to join the fun, send me a DM and I will provide you with a link to the raw tracks.

Wetransfer your submissions to mix@thefretboard.co.uk as a wav

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of friday 26h Nov 2021 with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.  

No prizes. It's just for fun.

I will post a playlist once stuff comes in!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Calling all the usual suspects @andy_k @Springywheel @fretwired @Siejen ;)

and of course anyone else who fancies a crack @thegummy or @robinbowes maybe?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    poopot said:
    Calling all the usual suspects @andy_k @Springywheel @fretwired @Siejen ;)

and of course anyone else who fancies a crack @thegummy or @robinbowes maybe?
    I'd love a go - time-permitting.

R.
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    Hi, yeah count me in. ‘Master’ mix sounds just right so plenty to aim at to improve my skills  :)
    Files sent to @robinbowes and @Siejen ;
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    @poopot ;  I'll do it while you're doing my "cut my grass" challenge ;)
    thegummy said:
    @poopot ;  I'll do it while you're doing my "cut my grass" challenge ;)
    The track has already been released and we and the label are more than happy with the mix  … we have given the raw tracks up for folk to practice their mad mixing skills…. Like the post says, it’s just for fun!
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Let the fun begin.
  • So basically take all of the individual bits, bang them into Reaper, chop and change to taste and then render it afterwards?

Sorry if that's a daft question, but I normally skim over this section and thought I'd finally ask the question.
    That's about it, why not have a go, see what you come up with.
    So basically take all of the individual bits, bang them into Reaper, chop and change to taste and then render it afterwards?

Sorry if that's a daft question, but I normally skim over this section and thought I'd finally ask the question.
    Not so much chop and change… we have run a “remix” challenge before… but this is about just producing a good mix… everyone’s ears and gear are different so it is all subjective I guess… it’s just for folk to have a crack at mixing a song they they haven’t recorded and have no connection with!!!!
  • @poopot so more about balancing volumes, adding effects, that sort of thing? Emphasising the bass and reducing the treble?
    @poopot so more about balancing volumes, adding effects, that sort of thing? Emphasising the bass and reducing the treble?
    The tracks I sent you are as recorded… no compression, eq etc… so yeah, a good balance, make it sound clear etc… it’s always good to see how someone else hears the track… more guitar based? More orchestral based? Quiet in the quiet bits and then massive in the noisier parts etc…

there plenty of scope there with those tracks!… 70+ To play with.
  • @poopot sweet, ill see what I can do
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm up for it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @fretwired, @andy_k @robinbowes ;
    is anyone having issues with the files lining up properly? @Siejen is reporting a slight issue that I’m not getting.

I have imported them all, lined up visually, not had a listen yet though.
    Can you clarify the issue, and I can check.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    I've not had chance to try yet.
    andy_k said:
    I have imported them all, lined up visually, not had a listen yet though.
    Can you clarify the issue, and I can check.
    I’ll let @Siejen explain in depth, but essentially none of the wavs line up for him.

do yours? When you hit playback is it all over the shop or does it sound like the track albeit unmixed?
    Mine seem fine, obviously everything at once sounds a bit weird, but it seems to be in sync.
    I think I might know what happened.
    I notice, in Reaper, all tracks have a tempo imprinted @120, which is wrong apparently.
    Also, when I imported each group of tracks, I got a pop up asking if I wanted to import tempo information- per track, which seemed to be related to the track's number, ie, track number 64 was set to tempo 64---that's not accurate, just a description of the message that pops up.
    I imported each group separately, into a group folder, so I saw this message pop up a lot.
    In all instances, I chose to ignore any tempo information, and currently have my project set to 120 bpm, there is no midi, so no need for a tempo map, but obviously if there are tempo markers or cues imprinted on the audio it could cause problems.
    You said the track tempo was 75 bpm ish, but I know that some of the string parts ( all?) had tempo information matching the track numbers.
    Sometimes Logic makes things completely Illogical, which is why it scares me, haven't bothered with the update as it seems completely geared towards a genre of 'music' that has no appeal to me.
    Reaper FTW.
    I'm joking, in case there are any people who have had humourectomies out there.
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    Morning, just importing the drums group and lined up in Cubase at a start point and the audio starts at different times. An interesting effect, but not the desired one. 
    Can align them by cues, but there are several tracks to do (organs are changing at their own pace, for example). 
    Each individual track sounds nicely recorded though!!