Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Rob Chapman conundrum

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
First off - please please please lets not get into any Rob bashing on this thread for once! 

OK, so around here many people seem to hate him. I've never really understood why. Going back many years, I remember finding a bunch of really good videos of him on Youtube (looking younger and slimmer) demoing Orange amps, and he was clearly a very good guitarist. He had recently transcribed a bunch of Yngwie songs for a publication so definitely no slouch on the 6 string. I'm pretty sure that the vids were done for Orange, and they eventually disappeared for whatever reason. 

Anyway, rolling forward, I happened to come across a couple of his chatty videos by chance and watch them recently, and he basically seems like a very nice, affable sort of guy. He's knowledgeable and entertaining enough in his demeanour. He is also genuinely popular out there - 743K subscribers, top videos all around 2-4 million views, and relentlessly positive reactions from viewers who comment.

I kind of feel that around here on the Fretboard he has slipped into that 'hip to hate' category like Bonamassa, Kirk Hammett et al. It's kind of a shame that things get like that with some musicians. I get that he's not everyones cup of tea, nobody is universally loved, but it would be so much nicer if we could tone down the hatred around here,. He's just a guitarist who has managed to forge a career in a way that I'm sure we all wish we could have done. I think that he would be a great guy to just sit down and have a pint with and a bit of a chat and a laff. 

That is all ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    “Envy is the art of counting the other fellow’s blessings rather than your own”

is broadly how I feel on the subject.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    With all that in mind.

Why did you create this thread?

It's destined to become a massive negative hate fest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 32reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    With all that in mind.

Why did you create this thread?

It's destined to become a massive negative hate fest.
    This.

Good on Rob for what he's managed to achieve.
    It is easy to bash from the sidelines.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Indeed.

And before anyone feels like jumping in without thinking, the moderation will be strong in this thread.

Don’t be tempted to commit suicide by mod 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always shied away from him because whenever his name gets mentioned on here, all kinds of ugly comes out, as has been mentioned before, so I've tended to keep my head below the parapet on the subject.

Think I'll keep it that way.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Quick… deflection, deflection er.. shit, AH.. someone start a Gibson thread or a peach thread! For the love of god, do it now!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Indeed.

And before anyone feels like jumping in without thinking, the moderation will be strong in this thread.

Don’t be tempted to commit suicide by mod 
    But @roland won’t have any comments to split into a new thread tomorrow evening. :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Rob. Everything he touches turns to shit gold.

Rod Campman on the other hand...
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    He’s made a living out of doing something that most of us would kill for, fair play to him for that
  • He’s alright is Chappers I miss him on Anderson’s demos , his zany humour and knowledge 
      Him and the captain were a magical pairing .

I like Kirk Hammett too , he really does seem such a nice enthusiastic guy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I honestly do think this thread title should be his next bands name though.

Good luck to the guy.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    I think this has only been posted as I see somewhere he is back in the UK filming for Andertons. Did his PR people contact you lol
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
  • "The Rob Chapman Conundrum"

Sounds like it could be the Title to a British 60's Spy Movie.

Or maybe a new segment on Countdown.

Here's Today's "Countdown Rob Chapman Conundrum"

GINGETERS
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    edited October 2021
    To answer the actual question...he wasn't always hated. In fact, most folk liked him to begin with. I think it changed when he started playing into the "comedian" aspects, which is always going to be a love/hate thing, and then it started spiralling when he turned into someone who told you he was "Rob Chapman who owns Chapman Guitars" every couple of minutes in any given conversation. That was also pretty much the point where he stopped interacting with his fans almost completely - he all but abandoned his forum, which annoyed quite a lot of his core following, and there were some things that happened in the business end which ended up screwing over a few of his popular endorsees/partners.

Then it all totally went to shit when he responded to that hit video from some irrelevant drama-seeking kid, and his channel views dropped off a cliff.

Thing is...he is a nice guy, at least I think he is from our sparse interactions. I get the impression that "business Rob" is very different from "Rob the guy you meet". I don't think that's particularly unusual.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I'm indifferent to him. He's doing what he wants to do and is happy doing it, so more power to him. 

I'm not that enthused by some of those business revelations, but as far as I know nobody is being forced to piss into a bottle to avoid taking a break. 

I do think a lot of it is jealousy or spite, when you are slagging off somebody's looks then you've lost your point.
    Sure some of the humour can come off a bit David Brentesq (and I'm sure Rob would look back at his older videos and wince somewhat. But we all feel like that. Baggy Jeans anyone?). 
    Again YouTube is a free platform, nobody is forcing you to watch his videos. I'm not a fan of his high gain chugging or widdly widdly woo.
    So I don't watch.... simple. Same goes for anything Clarkson related.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I'm indifferent to him as well.  All I see is a phenomenal Guitarist with effortless technique who can shred the pants off anything.  A shred off between him and Chris Brookes of insta fame would be cracking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 241
    Not a fan. 

But each to their own 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Used to watch all the Andertons videos but I grew tired of him/them, which I think is quite normal.  Seemed to become cool to hate him around that time....
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    @digitalscream sums it up well, he became the living embodiment of the word Hubris and paid the price. Now he’s Humble but I’m not sure it suits him.