Retro fitting P90s in epiphone sg

What's Hot
stevebsteveb Frets: 42
edited October 2021 in Making & Modding
Ive an epi sg that i was thinking about swapping the humbuckers for p90s, what mods would i need to do to the guitar or is it not worth the hassle. The guitar has sentimental value so i wouldnt want to get rid of it. Im quite handy with a router so im confident if i need to rout the body
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dimensions:

Comparison:

p90s will be deeper, wider and narrower. 

the narrowness will mean a full scratchplate - if you've a half-batwing. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14255
    steveb said:
    I've an epi sg 
    How far down the Epiphone food chain is your example? If it has a screw-on neck, the results are unlikely to justify the expense of parts and labour.

On the other hand, you could achieve some sonic transformation by installing humbucker-sized P90 pickups. 

Reasonably priced examples are available from makers such as Alegree, Irongear, Tonerider and Wilkinson.

At the upper end of the Epiphone price range, it might be worth investing in Seymour Duncan P-Rails and Triple Shots. 

If you have a three pickup Epi G400 Custom, stick with bridge and neck humbuckers. Just add a P90 as the centre pickup. Configure the controls as either 3 Vol., 1 Tone or the Peter Frampton circuit.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71862
    Fit humbucker-size P90s as Funkfingers said. That will solve all the problems at one go.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6890
    tFB Trader
    Except they don't look like P-90s
    … and they don't sound exactly the same either. 
    Be seeing you.
    Plastic-covered ones should be closer on both counts. It’s the metal covers which stop most of them sounding like proper P90s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Does anybody manufacture a plastic covered humbucker-sized P90?

Gibson P-94s have open-topped metal covers. This must reduce the treble attenuation. The downside is that the bridge/Treble position unit is not noticeably hotter than the neck/Rhythm position one.
    Be seeing you.
    Shed Soap Stars and BG Pure90 definitely are. I'm sure I've come across others too.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3874
    These Alegree HB sized P90s are available in a black cover though it is metal.

https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/old-timer-pickups/products/old-timer-smooth-humbucker-sized-p90

I installed one in my brother-in-law's Epiphone Firebird Studio and it sounded really good, and they're only £17 each or £30 for the set.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2291

Gibson P-94s have open-topped metal covers. This must reduce the treble attenuation. The downside is that the bridge/Treble position unit is not noticeably hotter than the neck/Rhythm position one.

Oil City only do plastic covered ones - I'm sure I've seen Ash say on here he hates how a metal cover changes the sound.
    Tim
  • Does anybody manufacture a plastic covered humbucker-sized P90?

I haven't looked recently, but Rio Grande used to. I had serious GAS for a Bastard/Fat Bastard combo at one point. At the time I had a pair of the SKY/ Kent Armstrong humbucker sized P90's in an Epiphone Korina SG. The SKY pickups actually sounded great in that guitar. Later I had them in my much abused/routed California Series Tele which I think I sold on here 4-5 years ago. If you are happy to spend Rio Grande money and similarly purchase from the US then there is also Harmonic Design who make some interesting pickups.