Big Muff

What's Hot
Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761

Never owned an EHX Big Muff Pi pedal.  Am I missing out?  Should I get one... are there better options?  They seem to be quite cheap... or are the new ones not so good as the old ones?

Come to think of it... I've never even had a Rat.  They were all the rage back in the 80s... but I think I've led a sheltered life - and a lot of pedals just passed me by.  Are they worth a go?

Thanks for your advice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Yes and yes.

Regarding which actual one you should get (an EHX or Pro Co respectively, or a clone) I'm not so sure, I haven't tried enough different ones to know (especially head to head). But the few I have tried (the bog standard muff and rat from EHX and pro co and the biyang muff and mooer rat clones) have suggested they're very, very nice and classic effects. By that I mean certain tones on record, once you've tried the pedal, it's like a lightbulb goes on in your head. "That's how they do that." It's the same with other classic effects like a tubescreamer, fuzz face etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • new Big Muffs aren't bad at all, classic sound, the ones with the huge pointless box sound better  ;)

as far as Rat's go, any clone with the LM308 chip will get you a typically classic Rat sound
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    edited August 2014
    Everyone should own a Rat, a Big Muff, a Fuzz Face and a Tube Screamer at least once.

new Big Muffs aren't bad at all, classic sound, the ones with the huge pointless box sound better  ;)

Agreed.

My personal favourite is the 70s Integrated Circuit Big Muff ;), but they sound quite a bit different. The classic is the discrete-transistor version which the modern big-box one is a reissue of.

as far as Rat's go, any clone with the LM308 chip will get you a typically classic Rat sound
    Any modern Rat without the LM308 will get you as close. The chip makes next to no difference. I wouldn't say "none", but the clones don't sound exactly the same anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    edited August 2014
    I might be opening up a can of worms but in my opinion the LM308 Rat thing is a bit of a myth. I have 2 big knob Rat2's which are identical apart from the OpAmp chip, 1 has an LM308 and the other an OP07 as stock, and they sound exactly the same to me. Some Rats have different circuits and circuit board layouts which can have an effect on the sound, but one thing that i've noticed that has more effect is the type of pots they have, the pots in the newer pedals do not have such a nice sweep and are inconsistant between pedals.

Saying that though, Rats are great - as are Turbo Rats which I prefer to Rats.

For me, Big Muffs sound great at home but get totally lost in a band mix if you want to use them for bar/power chords making them useless unless you only use them to solo - where they stand out really well. Also, some amps can't handle them and they end up sounding terrible, this is a particular issue if you rely on studio or borrowed amps to rehearse or gig.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I think a RAT might be my favourite of any gain based pedal ever.  I sold my Big Muff and DS-1 after I got a RAT because it did all the bits of those pedal's sounds that I actually used!
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79

For me, Big Muffs sound great at home but get totally lost in a band mix if you want to use them for bar/power chords making them useless unless you only use them to solo - where they stand out really well. Also, some amps can't handle them and they end up sounding terrible, this is a particular issue if you rely on studio or borrowed amps to rehearse or gig.
    Agreed, I've bought a Nano Big Muff on Monday and on my Marshall AVT 100 (with OD1 or 2) it sounds terrible like half the strings have been attacked by barbed wire.  Where as on the Blackstar HR-1RH it sounds so sweet, regardless of the overdrive settings.  Pleased that someone else has noticed this, I've only had it a few days and still experimenting so was not sure if it was damaged.
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172

Never owned an EHX Big Muff Pi pedal.  Am I missing out?  Should I get one... are there better options?  They seem to be quite cheap... or are the new ones not so good as the old ones?

Come to think of it... I've never even had a Rat.  They were all the rage back in the 80s... but I think I've led a sheltered life - and a lot of pedals just passed me by.  Are they worth a go?

Thanks for your advice.

Wow.  You're in for a treat my friend.  The two greatest pedals of all time.

Take your time.  Savour the moment.  You will never be able to experience your first time with a muff again!...
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    I'd advise getting the Big Muff with tone wicker, this gives you the classic sound with the option of the useful mods that have been applied over the years.
    Johnnyseven said:

If you think a Big Muff gets lost in a mix you just don't have an amp with the power and bottom end to handle the pedal being turned up loud enough - then it doesn't get lost at all, it becomes the biggest, heaviest full-barre/power chord wall of fuzz sound... that's exactly what I used mine for. For solos it works better with a more midrangy fuzz/distortion going into it as well.

I agree it can be a problem if the provided amp won't handle it though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ICBM said:
    Everyone should own a Rat, a Big Muff, a Fuzz Face and a Tube Screamer at least once.

I'm going to disagree, in that I've tried a Rat, and various Fuzz pedals, and didn't like them. I can't put my finger on exactly why, just not right for me.

I'm well aware that there is some fantastic sounds, but not from my fingers.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    ICBM said:

I'm going to disagree, in that I've tried a Rat, and various Fuzz pedals, and didn't like them. I can't put my finger on exactly why, just not right for me.

Have you played a proper Big Muff (arf arf) Mike? If not you bloody should ;)
    Yep, still didn't work for me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Furry muff!
    mike_l said:
    ICBM said:

You're not disagreeing :) - you needed to try them. They're pretty much the four classic dirt pedal sounds of which most others are variations on to at least some degree, and if you haven't tried them you should. If you do and don't like them, that's fine - you've learned what you like and don't like. I don't really like Tube Screamers.

I'd probably have added the DS-1 except that everyone hates them :D.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    edited August 2014
    ICBM;309124" said:
    Johnnyseven said:

For me, Big Muffs sound great at home but get totally lost in a band mix if you want to use them for bar/power chords making them useless unless you only use them to solo - where they stand out really well. Also, some
    amps can't handle them and they end up sounding terrible, this is a particular issue if you rely on studio or borrowed amps to rehearse or gig.

If you think a Big Muff gets lost in a mix you just don't have an amp with the power and bottom end to handle the pedal being turned up loud enough - then it doesn't get lost at all, it becomes the biggest, heaviest full-barre/power chord wall of fuzz sound... that's exactly what I used mine for. For solos it works better with a more midrangy fuzz/distortion going into it as well.

I agree it can be a problem if the provided amp won't handle it though.
    In my situation only having a pedal that works well through particular amps is not good, as i'm normally using borrowed amps and I can't rely what i'm getting - if I was able to use my Bassman all the time there wouldn't be an issue. I prefer something that is more versatile, like a Rat or Turbo Rat, that works well with most amps. I've also found that using an eq pedal or mid focussed OD with a muff is a better way of getting it to cut through than just turning it up real loud.

My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    ICBM said:
    Agreed, that's sort of what I tried (and failed) to say in a paragraph :))
    ICBM said:
    mike_l said:
    ICBM said:

You're not disagreeing :) - you needed to try them. They're pretty much the four classic dirt pedal sounds of which most others are variations on to at least some degree, and if you haven't tried them you should. If you do and don't like them, that's fine - you've learned what you like and don't like. I don't really like Tube Screamers.

LOL

But yeah agreed- the classics are used enough (that goes for guitars and amps too) that you should probably try them if you can at all to see what the fuss is. If you don't like them, no worries, but at least you know.
    ICBM said:
    mike_l said:
    ICBM said:

I haven't tried a proper tubescreamer (only variations), so can't properly comment on one. I was disagreeing on the ownership of said pedals. I tried them, didn't like so didn't/won't buy.

I quite like the DS-1, but (currently) prefer the Vox Satchurator variation on it.

I also like the SD-1 as a "go anywhere, be useful" kinda dirt pedal, and think the DS-1 could be used similarly.

• ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    edited May 2018
    I’m retroactively amending all my comments for privacy’s sake. I know they’re cached in places, but this is still a best attempts effort. Mods - if any rules have been broken, please revert this post.
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826

I'd love a Rat - have never tried one.

Owned a couple of Fuzzes including a Big Muff and didn't really like them.

Had a DS-1 (because we should all own one at some point). Hated it, sold it. Then a year later bought an older one on ebay for a tenner (seriously) and it's flipping awesome. Could be down to my change in rig since but yup i love it