Google ads?

What's Hot
How come I’m getting google ads on the forum now? It’s a pain in the arse! Have I pushed a wrong button? Anyone else getting them- only started today!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    You don’t read the announcements then ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Clearly not! Lol!
  • Yep found the announcement. Alas Google wins and yet another Google free site bites the dust………..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Fork it.

How do I close my account?
    Be seeing you.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Fork it.

Ask @roland.

@Roland funkfingers wishes to close his account… I think it’s because of the ads that have been implemented to fund the excellent forum that has always and still is free to use… the forum that never asks for any donations from its members or for any fees from folk using the classifieds to buy of sell for free…

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Let's not forget that:
    • right now it's an experiment
    • Lee's said he's going to consult before making a final decision
    • we pay absolutely nothing for the use of this place, unless we chip in voluntarily
    • Lee pays ££ many to host it
    Also, more importantly, if ads become a permanent thing there is nothing to stop you:
    • using a privacy browser like Brave or DuckDuckGo
    • installing ad-blockers like AdBlock, uBlock or Ghostery
    • having done so, continuing to bung a voluntary donation towards the hosting costs periodically
    It's a "problem" which is piss easy to solve whichever way you cut it. It's not like Facebook where a team are going to be constantly trying to circumvent blocking measures.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    Fork it.

Ask @roland.

@Roland funkfingers wishes to close his account… I think it’s because of the ads that have been implemented to fund the excellent forum that has always and still is free to use… the forum that never asks for any donations from its members or for any fees from folk using the classifieds to buy of sell for free…

I believe you may have missed a certain level of jape in that there response
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    poopot said:
    Fork it.

Ask @roland.

I believe you may have missed a certain level of jape in that there response
    Nah… he’s posted about it in a couple of places… 

just tagging @roland to help facilitate his departure!…
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23916
    Yep found the announcement. Alas Google wins and yet another Google free site bites the dust………..
    Yeah - because it's a terrible idea that Lee actually earns some money for running this place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I don’t see the issue. Everyone has had a free platform to talk crap, have arguments and sell stuff for years. Well, actually some members and traders do contribute to the kitty. But let’s not forget that there are a number of admins who work for free (they shouldn’t have to work at all if some people would wind their necks in). 

If you don’t like advertising turn off the footie, F1, your tv… compared to them a few banners or pop ups shouldn’t bother you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    edited October 2021
    I hope we're coining it in! All this traffic should be put to work. 

I'm mainly getting Nando's ads which shows what I'm thinking about when I'm not thinking about guitars
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590

I'm mainly getting Nando's ads which shows what I'm thinking about when I'm not thinking about guitars ;)
    Me too, and we don’t even have a Nando near me. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    poopot said:

Troll tagging?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    edited October 2021
    Yep found the announcement. Alas Google wins and yet another Google free site bites the dust………..
    Yeah - because it's a terrible idea that Lee actually earns some money for running this place.
    Waz. Sometimes you come across as a real Dick. Let’s hope you’re not like that in real life……,eh?….,,,,,,
    Lee does a fantastic job and there’s absolutely no need for a response like that. It’s called irony and I understand that we don’t all see that side when texting but no complaint or negativity towards the running of ossum website was implied! Chill out man!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23916
    Waz. Sometimes you come across as a real Dick. Let’s hope you’re not like that in real life……,eh?….,,,,,,
    Lee does a fantastic job and there’s absolutely no need for a response like that. It’s called irony and I understand that we don’t all see that side when texting but no complaint or negativity towards the running of ossum website was implied! Chill out man!

Your post did not come across like that at all. And judging by your edit explaining your position more clearly I think you realised that.

Roland said:
    poopot said:

Troll tagging?
    Nah… just trying to help someone off the train they no longer want to be on because of a few ads
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I have to be honest I would much prefer if the Ads were site specific, due to the Issue some of us are having on the three network I have to use the work PC to look on here in the day, and I am getting constant ads for Betting sites, regardless of how many times I tell google their not appropriate......................I work in a fucking Gambling rehab, and they still come through, so no in their current form they certainly dont work for me. :(
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Nah… just trying to help someone off the train they no longer want to be on because of a few ads
    Problem solved by Adblocker Plus.

Now, all that I need is Asshat Blocker. :trollface: 
    Be seeing you.
    poopot said:
    Problem solved by Adblocker Plus.

Now, all that I need is Asshat Blocker. :trollface: 
    Well done… you just won me fiddy quid in the sweepstake!… I had you down in the doesn’t/won’t contribute column!… :)
    My only contribution is to answer those dumb guitar wiring questions in Making & Modding.
    Be seeing you.