SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

[SOLD] 2012 PRS DGT Standard - only Vintage White one in the UK

What's Hot
therealtingtherealting Frets: 54
edited November 2021 in Guitars £
[SOLD]

2012 Paul Reed Smith DGT (David Grissom Tremolo) Standard. This is a pretty rare PRS model, and although it wasn’t technically a limited edition, it was only made in 2012 making them quite hard to come by. As I type this, I can find only one other listed for sale in the UK, and it has had a neck repair. 

This is an incredible guitar. The best feature is undoubtedly the pickups - David Grissom and Paul Reed Smith spent a year and 40 prototypes refining them into probably the best humbucker pickups I’ve ever heard. The sweet spot for me is rolled back to 7, and they are very responsive to volume tweaks and pick attack. PRS has a fantastic partial-coil-split system that maintains body with single coil sounds, giving good approximations of Strat tones in the neck pickup and Tele tones in bridge and middle positions.

The only mods I have had done to this guitar (professionally, by @FelineGuitars) are the Dunlop Straplock buttons and swapping the push-pull coil split pot on the tone knob to a push-push pot. This means you just have to tap on the knob to toggle between split and humbucking modes, which helps in the heat of gig battle when the knobs can be a bit slippery. The original pot is still in the hardcase, and I am happy to have the mod reversed for a committed buyer.

Woodwise, the body and neck are both mahogany, and the rosewood fingerboard houses moon inlays and the jumbo frets favoured by David Grissom (they are a crucial part of what makes this guitar so incredible to play). The finish PRS used on their 2012 models was their V12 formula, and this is the only DGT Standard in Vintage White finish in the UK.

The Phase III locking tuners and PRS trem bridge keep truly excellent tuning stability - after the strings settled, I literally didn’t need to tune the guitar for over two weeks, through six gigs and two rehearsals. I have had Dunlop Dual Design straplocks put on, but the original ones are in the case and I can have them put back on if preferred.

Condition is very good, with a few signs of use as pictured. There are two paint chips on the front edge of the lower bout, one small and one absolutely tiny, and there is also a small paint break dent in the same area. There is also a mark in the paint near the back edge, and some shallow swirl scratches on the back on and around the trem cavity and control cavity covers. There is also some use wear on the brushed nickel pickup covers. None of these are apparent from the front or from player position when the guitar is in use. From an audience and player point of view, the guitar appears pretty much as new.

This is a serious purchase, and I am happy for a serious buyer to try the guitar out in person. If you are nearby, I am happy to bring it over for you to try through your own setup, or I have an excellent pair of Waza Air headphones that would allow this pretty much anywhere.

[SOLD] £2,200 [SOLD] cash collected from SE or South London. This includes the original PRS hardcase, all hang tags, QC tag and case candy.

Trades considered (with cash adjustment) for a PRS Hollowbody. Feel free to try me with other potential trades, but I am fussy.

If it doesn’t sell, I will not be disappointed to keep it!

All photos can be seen in full resolution here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iy5per2we8wbez9/AAC6dIdGS0ORWFbMAUbDRQuja?dl=0

[SOLD]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• therealtingtherealting Frets: 54
    edited October 2021
    A few photos:

As mentioned above, all photos including closeups of use marks can be seen in full resolution here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iy5per2we8wbez9/AAC6dIdGS0ORWFbMAUbDRQuja?dl=0
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Beautiful , must be a tough one to sell . I regret selling mine and it wasn’t half as nice looking as that.  How long have you had it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31440
    Wow. Gorgeous.

The perfect guitar for the inside sleeve photo shot for that 'notoriously difficult' third album...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One ended on eBay a couple of weeks back. I was very tempted! Looks lovely. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Yep I was watching that one too - it went for £1450 apparently which is crazy  - I’m gutted I didn’t bid as I thought it would go for at least £2k which I couldn’t afford at the time 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5266
    edited October 2021
    Mine’s the one with the neck repair but has hollow birds. I did think about push/push mod. I did changed the volume pot locations around though. They are fantastic guitars but find myself playing Strat or Tele 99% of the time. Yours looks equally as beautiful…  
  • I think your one is my old one @tone1 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5266
    edited October 2021
    @DrCornelius Yes I think it is…And @MikeS and @Norwegian_Blue and @photek and @Gassage ’s…..I’ve just dug it out (from its newly acquired hard case) and its going nowhere. I still prefer my Cunetto Strat clean, but driven the DGT just absolutely rocks. Actually, Phil from Project Music remembers Paddy buying it new in 2012…..3

Interestingly, I prefer it in single coil mode…and it nails the Clapton ‘from the cradle’ tone….I don’t think the buyer would be disappointed with a DGT Standard (even without the maple top)
    edited November 2021
    Hello all, sorry for not replying earlier - I was wary of breaking the “no bumps within 48 hours rule”.

Thanks for all the questions and comments. Yes, I was the person who bought the absolute bargain on eBay earlier this year: it popped up on my notifications, and when I saw the buy-it-now price, I think I had checked out and bought it within 2 minutes.

It genuinely is one of the most amazing guitars I’d played, and when I brought it out that weekend to play with my main function band of the last 10 years, the bass player said “You’ve brought a lot of guitars to this gig, and that one is by far my favourite.”

The only issue I had was the weight: at dead-on 9lbs, it was just a bit too heavy for my aging back for the 3 set gigs I do almost every weekend. Conundrum, as I loved the way it played, felt and sounded.

So I hunted for quite a while for other DGTs, and eventually tracked down a couple attractive options here on this forum. I finally bought one on here a week ago, and after a gig I confirmed that it does everything this one does… plus is lighter. I realised that while I wouldn’t mind having a pair of them, I would always pick that one for that reason - so I decided I should put this one up for sale at what I thought was the going market price and see what happened.

It turns out I probably underpriced it if anything, as I got three messages on here and ten on Facebook Marketplace before the morning was out. I got offered several really interesting straight trades including a Jeff Beck Custom Shop Strat, a custom Suhr, and a National Tricone! I was away gigging, so I told one guy who didn’t live far away from me who wanted to see it that he would be welcome to the next day at 7pm after church. On my way home from the gig, someone messaged me and said he’d been looking for one of these for a couple years and would drive over the next morning with cash. I said I had someone who’d said they wanted to see it the next afternoon, and this guy said he was so sure he wanted mine that he made a higher offer to secure it and agreed to drive a couple of hours the next day to collect.

Anyway, long story short is that he’s blown away with his new guitar… and I’m already talking with someone else here about spending the money on one of my dream guitars that they are selling… hahaha! Such is the way of GAS.

Thanks for all the interest. @tone1, I’m glad you decided to keep yours, it’s a beauty and if you were closer to me I would probably have made you a cheeky offer.

This guitar is SOLD. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Thanks for all the interest. @tone1, I’m glad you decided to keep yours, it’s a beauty and if you were closer to me I would probably have made you a cheeky offer.

This guitar is SOLD. 
    Just my own opinion of course but if you made me a ‘cheeky offer’ after making about £750 in 4 weeks of owning a guitar you would not have got very far !

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2021
    @DrCornelius Oh no, that was when I was looking for a lighter DGT, long before I had sold this one.