3 way toggle switch contact problem?

What's Hot
Hi all,

I've wired up my PRS style build but have an issue with the toggle switch.

In the neck position, the neck pickup works, and in the bridge position the bridge pickup works. But when I select the middle position, I just get the neck pickup.

I notice there's a little bit of play in the switch when it's in the middle so I assume it's not quite making contact with the bridge selector pole.

It was a brand new switchcraft 3 way toggle, but I've had to redo the circuit 3 times so I guess it's also possible I've damaged the switch through too much heat exposure. I feel like that's unlikely though given that the neck and bridge positions work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could rectify this?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Examine the switch and check whether the pairs of contacts are touching in the middle position. If not you might have to bend one of the leaves a little to ensure they are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Examine the switch and check whether the pairs of contacts are touching in the middle position. If not you might have to bend one of the leaves a little to ensure they are.
    It sounds like the inner leaf needs bending outwards slightly because the actuator is still touching the outer leaf and moving it just enough to open the contact.

This is tricky to fix - you need to do it with a flat knife blade, right down where the leaves are mounted in the block - if you try to bend it higher up, the outer leaf will bend as well and then you'll be in a worse state where the bridge pickup doesn't work at all.

Sadly these sorts of issues are becoming not unknown with new Switchcrafts - they used to be flawless, but I've seen a few with this problem now.

You're unlikely to have damaged it with heat, they're made from metal and paxolin which is heatproof.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    a brand new switchcraft 3 way toggle.
    Assume nothing.

Brand new components from reputable manufacturers can have problems.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks all. I've been in touch with Ed over at @sixstringsupplies and he's suggested trying to fix it but will get a replacement out to me too. I know he's got a good rep here anyway but wanted to add to that with this update :smiley: 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20585
    ICBM said:
    It sounds like the inner leaf needs bending outwards slightly because the actuator is still touching the outer leaf and moving it just enough to open the contact.

This is tricky to fix - you need to do it with a flat knife blade, right down where the leaves are mounted in the block - if you try to bend it higher up, the outer leaf will bend as well and then you'll be in a worse state where the bridge pickup doesn't work at all.

Sadly these sorts of issues are becoming not unknown with new Switchcrafts - they used to be flawless, but I've seen a few with this problem now.

You're unlikely to have damaged it with heat, they're made from metal and pangolin which is heatproof.
    FTFY  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    lol

If they were from China I wouldn’t actually rule out being made from pangolin ☹️.

Luckily they’re still made in the Good Ol’ US of A.

Hence the apparently bonkers price for a simple mechanical switch…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein