New Partscaster build (Strat/Tele hybrid)

What's Hot
JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 58
edited November 2021 in Making & Modding
Recently i've been downsizing my gear, and trying to make the best of what I kept.  I've always had a soft spot for Teles, although the feel a bit awkward to me.  So, mostly play a Strat, but was looking to hardtail it, I couldn't find what I wanted, so I thought a Strat shape, with a Tele bridge & pickup would be ideal for me.

The Squier '51 didn't appeal to me, and the Parallel Universe Whiteguard is too expensive, and I don't like the colour, or Tele headstock.  So, making my own seemed the best bet.

So far I have:
  1. Beaten up hardware from my MIJ Tele.
  2. A few Tele pickguards, that won't fit.  So I will have a go at making my own.
  3. An Alder 2 piece body from Booboo.  At 2.2kg, it is a litte too heavy for what I'm aiming for, but hoping the body cuts, and edge rounding will get it to where I'm happy.  If all else fails, I'll add smugglers routes.
  4. Fred Stuart Blackguard pickups, although the neck is knackered, so may be off to Oil City for a rewind, however also considering a Strat neck, Harmonic Design Vintage Plus, and matching Super90 (I already have these), or going Esquire instead.
  5. Not sure what I'm going to do for a neck,, maybe from Guitar Build, as I want a Tele heel with Strat headstock shape.  Money is a bit tight here, so that may not be an option.  We'll see what I can find.
  6. Some woodworking tools my father left me, but I'm nowhere as skilled in woodwork as he was.
I've put a couple of coats of shellac on the body, just to seal it for now.

Next steps:

1. Round of the edges, and put a forearm cut on the body.
  2. Possibly a tummy cut
  3. Drill jack, strap buttons, and cable holes
  4. Decide on finish, I'm tempted by Sonic Blue Nitro, but may just stick with Shellac/Tru Oil/Boiled Linseed oil.
  5. Make pickguard
  6. Trial fit neck and hardware.
  7. Apply finish to the body
  8. Final assembly
my trading feedback HERE
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    If you are making a pickguard you could just go with a Strat neck and cut the guard for a Strat heel to hide the gaps at the sides of the pocket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are making a pickguard you could just go with a Strat neck and cut the guard for a Strat heel to hide the gaps at the sides of the pocket.
    Thanks, good idea, although I now have a paddle head tele neck for this project.
    my trading feedback HERE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 58
    edited November 2021
    A bit of progress:
    • Body contours cut and rough sanded, edges rounded.  All done by hand, took ages!  Boy no weighs 2.07kg
    • Holes drilled as required, unfortunately I damaged the face of teh body a little with the chuck.  Not to bad, and will be covered by the pickguard.  Lesson learn't though.
    • Test assembled neck and hardwear, seems very light, but pickups and ferulles will add a little weight.  Looks like it'll weigh around 3.5kg all up.
    • Neck purchased, again from Booboo.  Maple & ebony, and will take quite a lot of work to finish.

Next steps:
    • Fine sand the body
    • Make pickguard(s)
    • Final finish (of body)
    • Assemble (with Strat neck, while I finish the new neck.)
    my trading feedback HERE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom