EZ Drummer midi packs or alternatives

What's Hot
EZDrummer2 and associated midi files has been one of the most useful writing tools for me as it saves a lot of time and effort dealing with drum programming early in the writing process, meaning I can focus on other things.

I have the Post-Rock Expansion Pack and the Alt-Rock Grooves midi pack. Are there any other midi packs anyone would recommend for someone who wants to do shoe-gazey, post-rocky writing? Or any other drum midi file sources worth considering?

Cheers
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm in a similar situation. I have EZDrummer 2 and the Alt-Rock expansion pack, I like the drum kits with this pack, but there aren't many grooves/patterns with it. Am I right in saying a midi pack contains many more grooves, that you can apply to any of the drum kits? If so I think I need to get some as I'm a bit tired of the standard patterns. How are the alt-rock midi grooves?

The post-rock expansion looks good. There's a sale on at the moment. 

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    @MagicPigDetective You can use the patterns from any midi pack or expansion with whatever kit you want. Most of the midi packs contain additional patterns to the ones included with the expansion pack - this is the case with the alt-rock midi pack. Although a word of caution - some midi packs appear to just be the patterns from the associated expansion - the relevant page on the Toontrack site notes where this is the case.

I've got both the post-rock expansion and midi pack, and have used both a lot. I have as yet made less of the alt-rock patterns - they are good, just not had call to use them yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited November 2021
    Groove Monkey have a range of styles (link below). There's a sale at the moment.  I'm not sure if they've got the style you're interested in. You can listen to some demos on the website. I got the Mega Pack some time ago, during a previous sale.

https://groovemonkee.com/collections/midi-loops

It's not a competition.
    Might try one of the Groove Monkey packs - useful to have something to compare to the Toontrack ones. Maybe the Garage Rock pack.
  • So, the Groove Monkey midi packs will work with EZdrummer2? Interesting, very interesting.... the Groovemonkey Doom pack sounds great
  • So, the Groove Monkey midi packs will work with EZdrummer2? Interesting, very interesting.... the Groovemonkey Doom pack sounds great

Each pack comes with formats for all the common drum VSTi's. I use them with Superior Drummer 3, BFD3, Addictive Dums 2, SSD5, Native Instruments Studio Drummer (and this pack works for all the Native Instruments drums), General Midi etc.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Yes - just link directory of drum midi files into the user library

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited November 2021
    Thanks for the advice, I know have the Groovemonkey doom set (which is not that extreme, more stoner rock, sounds great) in my EZdrummer library, it was very easy to install. This opens up a whole new world of drummage. 
    Interesting. How many patterns or songs does the doom set include @MagicPigDetective ?
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 130
    A little tip, if you have a bit of time.

If you download Guitar Pro files that have all instruments in the file, you can delete all of the other instrument tracks in Guitar Pro and export the leftover drum elements as MIDI that you can chop up into grooves. Opens the door to some interesting grooves that probably wouldn't be in a groove library.
  • ewal said:
    Interesting. How many patterns or songs does the doom set include @MagicPigDetective ?
    12 songs all with a few  verses, choruses etc plus fiveish smaller bonus songs with a handful of patterns each. Not bad for £8.

I’m now pondering which Ezdrummer expansions/midi or grooverider sets to get whilst the sale is still on.