What strings for Standard tuning on 21.5" scale?

What's Hot
Hi everyone,

I bought a Vintage Viator from here a while ago and I've had it in Terz tuning since (like a capo on the 3rd fret). As much as I love this sound, I'd like to sometimes use this guitar as a backup so I'd like to put it in standard tuning, but 21.5" is SHORT! What would you use?

For reference, I like a higher tension string anyway. My tele has 13s on and my seller-style has 11s on, so if someone says 'put 16s on' then challenge accepted!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3677
    sounds like a job for stringtension pro. You can enter your preferred gauge, tuning and scale and then if it will suggest a set that feels the same for a different configuration.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3677
    sounds like a job for stringtension pro. You can enter your preferred gauge, tuning and scale and then if it will suggest a set that feels the same for a different configuration.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4158
    drofluf said:
    Alas it is no more. The old url just takes you to an “under construction” page nowadays.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    16s sounds about right. If you capo'd a set of 12s at the 5th fret, that would raise the B string (16 gauge) to E, but it's a slightly longer scale length on your guitar so the tension will be a bit higher, probably around the same as the 13 on a standard scale.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5400
    https://tension.stringjoy.com

https://stringtensioncalculator.com

Using the Stringjoy calculator the nearest I can get is 15-20-28 38-50-56 for 173.6lbs, which is just slightly more than the 173.5lbs of their standard 12s on a standard scale. 

Stringjoy's thickest string is a 56, and you need about a 58 or so for the 6th. Trying to get the same tension as 12s on a standard scale, I'd also want slightly lighter 3rd, 4th, and 5th than I listed just now - say 26, 36, and 48. 

But those numbers put you into the ball park, and Newtone will run you up whatever set you like. My best guess to try first is: 15-20-26 36-48-58 or 16-20-28 38-50-60.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited November 2021
    IMO some little guitars dont always sound better with fatter strings. Seen this on a Martin Backpacker and GS Mini. Also, a very fat low E on a short scale can sound dead and just "thonk", instead of ring. 
    Id pop on 13s to start with & if you want more tension the elixir nanowebs seem stiffer than equivalent non-coated strings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    danowens said:
    Hi everyone,

I bought a Vintage Viator from here a while ago and I've had it in Terz tuning since (like a capo on the 3rd fret). As much as I love this sound, I'd like to sometimes use this guitar as a backup so I'd like to put it in standard tuning, but 21.5" is SHORT! What would you use?

For reference, I like a higher tension string anyway. My tele has 13s on and my seller-style has 11s on, so if someone says 'put 16s on' then challenge accepted!
    I have a set , Standard E tuning, .014 .018 .022 plain .034 .046 .056 .