Cover challenge No 17 - the letter “D”

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited December 2021 in Making Music
Right let’s get this one rolling early shall we?

This cover challenge is slightly different in that we had two winners from the previous challenge so there are two main songs to choose from…

@bezzer ‘s choice is “Danger Zone” by  Kenny Logins… 

@stratman3142 has chosen “Desperado” by Rihanna err sorry “The Eagles”

but… you can choose any song beginning with the letter “D

if you cover either of the chosen tracks you will automatically receive a bonus 5pts as a head start…

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might subliminally get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Friday 28th January 2022... get cracking

A playlist (below) of all the entries will also be posted in the voting thread. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited December 2021
    @rocker I’m assuming we can expect an entry from you on this one? :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    edited December 2021
    poopot said:
    @rocker I’m assuming we can expect an entry from you on this one?

Just to clarify, I made a promise to @Rocker on the 16th April on the thread at the link below - and being as I don't like to break a promise.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/204616/desperado/p1

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited December 2021
    Think i might actually give Bezzer's a go for this one...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    poopot said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence @poopot but I do not like most 'guitar' music.  I see the guitar as a great backing instrument for a vocalist but, with a few exceptions, very poor as a melody instrument.  Very poor when compared to a piano or *shock* *horror* an accordion.  So I will most likely pass on this one but will tune in to see how others interpret the brief.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    poopot said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence @poopot but I do not like most 'guitar' music.  I see the guitar as a great backing instrument for a vocalist but, with a few exceptions, very poor as a melody instrument.  Very poor when compared to a piano or *shock* *horror* an accordion.  So I will most likely pass on this one but will tune in to see how others interpret the brief.
    Ha… was your bloody idea!… you’re not getting off that easy!…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    @rocker doesn’t have to be a guitar cover … my last one wasn’t. And I think Danger Zone on piano and accordion could kick bottom.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited December 2021
    Yeah it can be your own interpretation. I personally will be sticking to the inferior melodies of guitar.  3
  • Bezzer said:
    @rocker doesn’t have to be a guitar cover … my last one wasn’t. And I think Danger Zone on piano and accordion could kick bottom.
    Actually, @Bezzer said my brass part sounded like an accordion on the previous cover challenge ('Beauty Has Her Way'). So if anyone needs any advice on getting inadvertent accordion sounds, I'm your man :)

No pressure intended @Rocker if you don't want to enter. These things don't appeal to everyone. At least I kept my promise, and it helped me pick a song beginning with D.

It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    Is there a slight concern that Eagles are notorious for making copyright claims?
  • Habanero said:
    Is there a slight concern that Eagles are notorious for making copyright claims?
    I think I'll aim for making it as unlike the original as possible this time.

It's not a competition.
    edited December 2021
    Habanero said:
    Okay… you don’t need a license or permission to upload or even release a “cover” as long as it’s streaming only… if you’re selling a physical product (download or cd etc) you need a license…

if you use any part of the “original” recording as part of your cover (sample, whole backing track) you need a license…

If it’s a cover that’s been wholly recorded from scratch, even if it is identical to the original in every way, you don’t need permission or a licence as long as it’s streaming only!…

poopot said:
    Habanero said:
    Okay… you don’t need a license or permission to upload or even release a “cover” as long as it’s streaming only… if you’re selling a physical product (download or cd etc) you need a license…

if you use any part of the “original” recording as part of your cover (sample, whole backing track) you need a license…

If it’s a cover that’s been wholly recorded from scratch, even if it is identical to the original in every way, you don’t need permission or a licence as long as it’s streaming only!…

So I guess the issue with the YouTubers like Rick Beato who get hit is that it’s monetised via being paid by views?
    Habanero said:
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:

So I guess the issue with the YouTubers like Rick Beato who get hit is that it’s monetised via being paid by views?
    What is he getting hit for? What is he doing?
  • Habanero said:
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:

In the past I've uploaded live band clips to Youtube and been told that they're demonetised, but they haven't been blocked. I assume that's because there were covers of songs by other artists.

One did get blocked because there was a brief section of something playing in the background at a party. But it was allowed (but demonetised) after I removed that section.

It's not a competition.
    Yeah if you upload original material it’s breach of copyright… if you upload a track that you created using part of the original material it’s breach of copyright…

if you upload a cover that you recorded it’s not breach of copyright as you hold the copyright to that recording… that’s not the same as the “publishing rights” to the song tho’…

you can indeed add your cover to Spotify etc and get paid for it without a license…

Here you go… from the crowd that distribute DSM

https://dittomusic.com/en/blog/what-license-do-i-need-for-my-music/

poopot said:
    Habanero said:
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:

It’s hard to know as I’ve mainly seen him moaning about stuff he’s removed.

However in a recent ‘That Pedal Show’ Dan did say that he was being careful demoing how The Edge does his delays for fear of copyright claim.
    edited December 2021
    Habanero said:
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:

However in a recent ‘That Pedal Show’ Dan did say that he was being careful demoing how The Edge does his delays for fear of copyright claim.
    With beato, I’m assuming you mean when he does “why this is the greatest song ever” type video?

that’s simple… he’s used the original recording and he’s getting paid for the views on YouTube… he’s earning money directly off the back of the folk that created the material he’s using… and not paying them what they should be paid!!!!

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    He’s right, the Eagles are particularly aggressive… but they can’t stop you covering their music. They do hunt down YouTube covers and get them removed. Usually people don’t bother fighting because … YouTube aren’t going to argue with the eagles.
    i this context though, as long as it doesn’t go on YouTube where it could potentially earn you money that they think it’s theirs … it should be fine.
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:

With beato, I’m assuming you mean when he does “why this is the greatest song ever” type video?

that’s simple… he’s used the original recording and he’s getting paid for the views on YouTube… he’s earning money directly off the back of the folk that created the material he’s using… and not paying them what they should be paid!!!!

Aaaah, yes maybe that’s it! I did see one where he analysed the recent Adele single, and it was just like that.
    It’s like that homeless busker in town… keeps playing Dirty Snake Mouth songs… when he antis up the money he owes he can have his dog back… 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom