Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Difficulty holding plectrums due to fingers sweating

What's Hot
Not sure if this is the correct section to post in, so here goes.

Due to my fingers sweating when I'm strumming etc, I have difficulty holding the plectrum and as a result the plectrum moves out of position or falls away from my fingers.

I've tried using a thumb pick but that is a lost cause.

Does anyone have any ideas or tricks they can share with me to overcome this as it is very frustrating.
'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842
    edited December 2021
    I use a hole punch through the middle of my plectrums.
    Another thing I’ve seen is in an old, behind the scenes with Quo video, Rick Parfitt’s guitar tech using a hammer and bradawl to put 4 impressions in his plectrums.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    edited December 2021
    I’ve been using these for about 6 years  Kirk Hammett Jazz III 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jeff Beck-it and throw away your plectrums 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I could never hold plecs for strumming, always dropping them or misholding them. I changed to no plec at all (many years ago), and much prefer the feel without. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Dunlop flow ultex in thin gauges ( 0.88 and under ) are grippy with their embossed letters.
    I also have problem with tortex picks slipping when playing rhythm guitar even though my hands don’t sweat.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7042
    edited December 2021
    They used to sell a product named Gorilla Snot for this very purpose.  You can simulate the sticky effect by applying a smear of a "rubber" type glue that doesn't dry hard, stays a tiny bit tacky, and can be rubbed off with your thumb if you don't like it or when it loses its stickiness.  I have used little squares of thin double-sided tape as well.  Peel one side and stick onto pick, peel off upper covering and you have a sticky area.  That is harder to peel off and gathers all the cat hair, navel fluff and other detritus around the place and you would end up with a woolly pick.  This approach is a lot better than roughening up the pads of your fingers with a rasp  

Another alternative might be to check out this combined thumb pick and flat plectrum from Strings Direct (a member here):

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    How long have you been playing and how much do you focus on picking technique?
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    Thank you all for your comments - much appreciated.
    I will definitely look into your suggestions.

@ tekbow - I've been playing for a good few years however, I don't do a lot in the way of picking, mainly strumming.

'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    1. Talcum powder to dry out sweaty fingers.
    2. Drill holes in your plectrums.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    CoolCat said:
    Thank you all for your comments - much appreciated.
    I will definitely look into your suggestions.

@ tekbow - I've been playing for a good few years however, I don't do a lot in the way of picking, mainly strumming.

Ok, cheers.

So I'm no expert in picking, but picking is something I've put a lot of work into in recent years and I've picked up a couple tips, pun not intended.

I had the problem of sweaty fingers and grippy picks solved it to an extent (I use chicken picks btw, still experienced slippy picks though ) but I suddenly realised about 6 months ago I wasn't having issues with the pick slipping/turning away from my strings anymore.

And I think what happened was that the more dexterous I became with the pick, the less tightly I was holding the pick, and my fingers weren't getting slippy Either.

It really just pivots up and down like a seesaw now, which incidentally does wonders for speed and note sustain BTW.

Just a thought to contemplate.

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    Have a word with this chap..should be able to help..

Solved the sweating issue a long time ago..allegedly :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Just to offer an alternative opinion on gorilla snot - I don’t find it works great for me, it’s either too sticky or not enough, depending how much you put on and how much you warm it. Not much of a sweet spot.
    Also sticky is not the same thing as grippy.
    Worth a shot though given it’s inexpensive.
  • Ibanez makes some that are pre-coated with a "grippy" substance but they are not cheap. And they are also very chunky.

Alternatively, would anti-perspirant on your fingertips be worth a try? That SURE advert from a long time ago (about 20 years?) seem to promote that idea!

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Try the old type sticking plaster. Just wrap around the plec using the sticking part only etc.
  • Came here for the Prince Andrew jokes and was not disappointed. 

Probably just trying different plectrums and finding ones with a textured surface. 

When I was gigging I'd grip plectrums so hard they would become slightly concave. So after a while they had a right and wrong way around. But that helped quite a lot with stopping slipping and my worn picks were better for playing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Had the same problem many years ago and went down the drilling plectrums route, however , the game changer for me was discovering “V Pics” long term favourite is the Euro 11, followed by the Jalapeño, believe Maddisonandfifth are still the Uk distributor.   They’re made from some sort of acrylic that becomes stickier the hotter you’re fingers get, rarely lose my grip on them.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    These work really well

https://www.monstergrips.com

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Squash in a bit of blu-tac at the top of each pick. Even a small amount on both sides will be enough to stop your fingers sliding.

Don't put it too low down or it will catch on the strings.

Gorilla snot does work but takes 15 minutes or so until it become fully effective. Then its a bugger to get off.

Not tried drilling holes, but will. That looks like a good idea. 

Have tried many different varieties with grips but none work that well. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    Ditch the pick. I did. Puts me in the same illustrious group as Wilko Johnson, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Hubert Sumlin, Derek Trucks, George Thorogood, Steve Hackett, Lindsey Buckingham, Stanley Jordan, etc.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I use Snarling Dog Brain Picks  which I bought via eBay &/or Amazon. They have c.200 tiny points on both grip surfaces. I’ve never dropped one and only once in the last few years has one been swallowed by the guitar. They come in a range of different weights. Previously I’d always used Dunlop picks. 

I use 0.6mm, @CoolCat if you would like one drop me a PM with your address. and I’ll put one in the post.