Alder Off Cut To Fill A Cavity

What's Hot
Has anyone got a bit of alder going spare I could have/buy to fill a P90 cavity?

Or could I just getaway with using a bit of pine I’ve got kicking about?

Any tips for how to best go about it too? Never tried this before.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    Is the filled-in cavity going to be visible, or is it going to be covered by a pickguard?
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
    edited December 2021
    @BillDL it will be mostly covered by a Pickguard, maybe a 10mm 90mm strip visible, but I'm not too fussed about it looking a bit bodged, this is my project/try stuff out guitar. It already has various visible screw holes from previous scratch plates and a Bigsby etc. 

Saying that, I would like it be as tidy as I can achieve. I'll happily sand down and respray the front of the body.
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    I have a few chunks of alder kicking about from an Evertune RG cnc i did last year that should be large enough for the job, might take a few days to get to my workshop but i'll grab you some pics/sizes once i dig them out if that of help.

That'd be great, thanks @Gizmo ;
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    If the guitar was originally routed for P90s the cavities should just be rectangles with rounded corners.  It should be fairly easy to cut a block of wood accurately to size and then just hold it firmly and round over the corners on rough sandpaper held flat on a bench until it slips into the cavity without much force.  Ordinary white wood glue will hold it in place as permanently as any other glue, and that glue can be softened with steam if the block ever had to be removed again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great tips at @BillDL really appreciate it
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118

Grabbed that off cut for you, this is what's left of a body blank, it's 400x90x45 but down to 40mm thickness on the larger left side

I'll be back up the workshop tomorrow so i can slim it down on the bandsaw if you need it smaller?

sorry for posting here but the Pics option is missing on my PM page (might be a blocker update issue)

Thanks @Gizmo ill send you a PM