RIP John Lennon 41 years ago today (8th December 1980)

What's Hot
guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
edited December 2021 in Tributes
The day the music died
“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Still the 'toppermost of the poppermost'.

Miss ya Johnny.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    The Get Back doc really highlights the sadness his passing caused. Sorely missed and we never had chance for a proper Beatles reunion as a result. That magic lost forever, RIP John, thank you for the music mate.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Boromedic said:
    The Get Back doc really highlights the sadness his passing caused. Sorely missed and we never had chance for a proper Beatles reunion as a result. That magic lost forever, RIP John, thank you for the music mate.

Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids....
    “Ken sent me.”
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    What! is it 2022 already?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    mrkb said:
    What! is it 2022 already?

I thought that too.....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I can only imagine the sadness of hearing that news at the time. Bowie and Cornell passing away affected me more than I thought I'd ever be affected by somebody I don't know dying, so I'm sure being such a fan of Lennon would have made that a very big deal.

Obviously not as sad as it was for him and his family of course. But what a brilliant creative and cultural force. Rest easy John Lennon
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It was a big shock at the time. I was right in the middle of my Beatles phase then. I bought this issue of NME (I never bought NME!). I would put money on them not ever having got back together if he'd have lived though.

I remember that they re-released Imagine, and I was totally transfixed by the video. There was just something about that long shot walking behind them at the start and his look with the hat and boots.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    8th December 1980
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Philtre said:
    8th December 1980
    Thought so - I was only 10 and hated that bloody "Imagine" song that was played constantly after his death and kicked St Winifred's School Choir off the number one spot! Put me off his music for a long time.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I was 13. I had been just getting really into the Beatles, after I'd acquired the red and blue albums.

I was walking to school on the morning of the 9th - it was the middle of the night here when he died on the 8th - and saw the board outside a newsagent reading "Ex-Beatle Shot Dead"... it's a moment frozen in my memory.

Sad to think how young he still really was.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I knew I was in bed with someone who wasn’t my wife when I heard the news but in December 1981 that wasn’t possible so pleased to know it was 1980  -  I hadn’t met her then.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Whoops it was 1980.. cos I heard it on Radio 1. Very sad news at the time.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    I was playing cricket at a friend's house in India - when the new came on the radio.

The scene from the movie 'Yesterday' when John opened the door - I burst into tears...
  • Playhouse Presents Snodgrass is an excellent Lennon watch if you haven't seen it.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 135
    I've just finished watching Get Back and one of the (many) striking things is just how much of a nice guy Lennon is. Funny, caring, lighthearted, doesn't take himself too seriously - totally surprised me to be honest, but he is a lovely guy. And the way he just turns is on for the rooftop concert is truly spectacular. I was in tears hearing him sing don't let me down.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    JMS96 said:
    I've just finished watching Get Back and one of the (many) striking things is just how much of a nice guy Lennon is. Funny, caring, lighthearted, doesn't take himself too seriously - totally surprised me to be honest, but he is a lovely guy. And the way he just turns is on for the rooftop concert is truly spectacular. I was in tears hearing him sing don't let me down.
    Interesting to hear that. The general consensus seems to be that he wasn't a very nice person. 
  • You can be nice sometimes and not nice other times. I think we are all complex in that way
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic