Scratchplate for an old EKO Rio Bravo 12

What's Hot
I was recently given an old Eko Rio Bravo 12 string less some important bits like machine heads, saddle, and in pretty bad shape all around. I renovate old guitars for my wife (who's an artist to use as a media for abstract art - rtfact.co.uk to give you an idea).

Towards the end of the job, I realised from the state of the soundboard that the original scratchplate had also been removed - commendably quite well for only the glue marks showed.

I've asked a couple of sellers on eBay if they'd trace the outline of the scratchplate on their Rio Bravo 12 without luck and I wonder if anyone here can let me have one or can suggest someone who might have one of the guitars.

I did email the modern Eko company in Italy but they weren't able to help.

If I'm able to get a tracing made I can confirm the diameter of the hole around which it will fit and then commission one of the pros to cut me a simple scratchplate.

My first problem is getting the right size and shape - anyone who remembers them will know that the shape is angular and quite different.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    my solution if you can't find one would be to find a front shot of the guitar in question.  blow up teh pic to a know dimension like the soundhole and print full size.   I do this when making guitar plans and its normally quite accurate as long as you start with a good picture

alternatively you might have better luck finding an Eko ranger plate, which will be close

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Thanks for your suggestion. I've contacted project guitar parts and have my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, the Ranger plate is much larger than the Bravo.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 490
    Hi flip. PM’d you. 
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Because the eventual resolution to my original problem was so effective and cost-effective I wanted to post my thanks so others in my position might benefit. Unfortunately, Luke's PM suggestion came to nought but could have been an easy solution if others had wanted to cooperate. On the other hand, WezV's suggestion eventually proved very successful.

Finding a full frontal photo to scale wasn't immediately easy and further frustrated by Eko's apparent practice of changing the design, size and layout of the rosette and scratchplate on the particular model. This initially led me to produce a template that frankly didn't fit my guitar at all.

Anyway, once we'd found a photo of my particular guitar, we eventually managed to produce a template that fitted. Then there was the problem of making or having made the new plate. The quote from the firm that appears at the top of internet searches for 'custom-made scratchplates was frankly ridiculous - £55! Furthermore, it would have been the wrong product anyway because a stick-on plate for an acoustic guitar needs to be quite thin and flexible to avoid deadening the soundboard. The ever-helpful friends at NW Guitars who were unable to help directly, eventually led me to the solution - a £6 piece of suitable black plastic from Musiclilly via Amazon. It was thin enough to be carefully cut by my wife using her artist's scalpel  

The instrument has been used by my wife as another of her 'canvasses' and will soon be available for sale on her RTFact website once I've fitted a new bone saddle, a new set of phosphor-bronze strings and given it a fret dressing and set-up  As someone who's come to amateur lutherie late in retirement I find it a relaxing and fulfilling activity, made much easier by help on this forum and from enthusiastic retailers. Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    @Flip contact this lot
    http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/
    he bought the old Eko stock when they went bust… he has a warehouse full of vintage eko bits and guitars…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    poopot said:
    @Flip contact this lot
    he bought the old Eko stock when they went bust… he has a warehouse full of vintage eko bits and guitars…
    Are they  still there.     I had a few bits from them 20 odd years ago but never got to go to the warehouse
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    @Flip contact this lot
    Are they  still there.     I had a few bits from them 20 odd years ago but never got to go to the warehouse
    I’m assuming they still are!…

I went in a few times… it’s like stepping back in time… some really odd ball stuff tbh… but… enough parts that you could build a nos vox or eko…

I grabbed a neck whilst I was there, 50 years old and never been near a guitar :)