Clamps For Bridge Repair

What's Hot
The bridge is lifting on my Faith acoustic, after doing some research I have decided to have a go at repairing it myself. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions of the best clamps to use and a UK based source..  The only deep ones I have found so far are Faithful, with a throat depth of 200mm, which I think may be a bit too deep to for the Faith Saturn. 40 or 50mm smaller would be ideal. 

http://www.faithfulltools.com/p/FAIG8DT/Deep-Throat-G-Clamp

Has anyone used the Faithful 200mm deep clamps?  Perhaps I am unnecessarily concerned. 

Any other tips before I start my first guitar repair would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Chris B.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    I've got a few Klemmsia clamps of various sizes - which you can actually get on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clamps-Klemmsia-Hand-Tools/s?keywords=Clamps&srs=4403611031&rh=n:1938860031,p_4:Klemmsia&c=ts&ts_id=1938860031

But if you don't want to invest a lot for a one-off job, I've also got a few of these, which I used to use...

Obviously you need to make it to the specific bridge pin hole spacing of your guitar - they do vary, only slightly, but it has to be exact.

The slots in the ends of the bolts are so you can screw them in and out from the outside of the guitar, which is usually necessary at least to get them out, even though the wood glue won't actually bond to the steel - it will clog up around the threads and make it hard (and risky) just to push them through.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 312
    @ICBM many thanks for such a helpful reply. You've given me something useful to think about over the next few days.  I'm keen to do a neat job, but at same time it will be a one-off (assuming I do it right first time) so I don't want to spend more than the guitar is worth. 

I'll have a look at the 
    Klemmsia clamps and maybe think about making something similar to the one you show in your photograph. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    There's also an apparently rough and ready but actually perfectly safe and effective way of doing it using a Black & Decker Workmate - prop the bridge inside with a block of wood that fits tightly between the bridgeplate and the back so the whole body is rigid, protect the back of the guitar with a piece of soft wood and a cloth, the same for the bridge usually just with a bit of soft wood - you may need an assistant to hold some of this in place - and clamp the whole thing vertically in the Workmate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I bought a pretty decent deep throat (oooh matron) clamp from Ali Express for a very small amount that has done the job very well. Yes, you need to spread the load with a small block of wood but it does the job perfectly well.

I've also used/made exactly the same kind of tool that @icbm showed above for gluing Variax acoustic bridges back down (with a couple of dowels to prevent it happening again). They work well.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you to @WezV @ICBM @impmann for some really helpful and constructive suggestions.  I'll go and get some clamps ordered now

The Black and Decker Workmate method sounds a bit high risk for my level of DIY - I can almost hear the sound of splintering wood as I don't quite get the bracing right!

Thanks guys, your suggestions are much appreciated. 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited December 2021
    I like the stewmac Sound hole  clamps , Sometimes you can buy second hand ones  , but for a one off repair the postage is too high to buy new  . I have made my own Klemmsia clamps ,  they are easy to make . You can also look at Luthiers Mercantile International web site . They   have   The Fox Bridge Clamp .  It is abetter version of the clamp in  ICBM photo . It is easy to make and you can find  demos on you tube on how to use it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you @more for your suggestions - much appreciated. I have ordered something that looks the same as the Fox Bridge Clamp, variations on that type of clamp seem to be popular.  I looked at Stewmac's site, they have a nice range of tools, jigs and clamps but as you say shipping costs make it a bit too expensive for a one-off repair for a cheapish guitar.

I will be watching a few more YT videos before I set about the repair.  
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 352
    edited December 2021
    Chris.B said:
    The bridge is lifting on my Faith acoustic ...
    I had the same happen on my Faith 12-string a few years ago. I was not as brave as you back then so I let a local violin repairer do it for me, which worked just fine. Here are two photos of my using a pencil and a piece of paper to discover quite how bad it was at the time. I will follow your repair with interest; I hope it goes well.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    The issue with this sort of repair is knowing if the area under the bridge is bare wood or not. If there is lacquer in place, you will be applying wood glue on top of lacquer which will not grip, and even if it does the lacquer can then lose its grip with the top surface of the guitar...

Experience has taught me not to assume with guitars - some cheaper acoustics are better made than others in this regard, and some expensive ones are utter crap. 

Good luck with the repair. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

@Whistler the bridge lifting is about the same as your Faith, possibly a little more, the action at the higher frets has increased, so it's time to do something about it. 

Much ordering today:
    Fox style clamp
    Titebond
    Solvent cleaner
    Scraper

Several videos have mentioned that it's not uncommon to see part of the bridge glued to the lacquer rather than the bare wood - hence ordering some scrapers to make sure that there will be wood to wood contact and no lacquer in the way. 

Apart from the clamp everything else has been sourced in the UK.  I'll report back when the job is done, or a post a FS in the classifieds for a Faith Saturn in need of bridge repairs!
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    My wife is an artist and for the past year has been using guitars as her canvas. The results are ar rtfact.co.uk - I hope I'm allowed to mention that, if not my apologies. I build electric solids from kits and renovate acoustics. Recently, I was offered a 12-string Eko Rio Bravo, no machine heads, messed up bridge and saddle and no scratchplate but OK for what we wanted. Members here helped tremendously with the design of the replacement plate.

I replaced the machine heads with Wilkinson EZ-Loks, set up the neck, adjusted the truss rod, re-strung with Rotosound Pinks, re-dressed the frets and made a really good looking guitar. Then my artist did her bit. I'll post a photo of the result she calls 'Effervesence' comprising diamante and epoxy resin. However, when I first strung it up I realised the bridge was separating from the soundboard. I'm old-fashioned and always tune 12-strings to D, ie a tone lower. I referred to my Dan Elewhine bible and using a couple of very strong large palette knives, held the bridge up while my wife pushed Titebond into the space. 24 hours later it's fine. Two bridge pin holes needed clearing. The comment about lacquer is correct of c course but you lose nothing by trying.

I bought from Amazon: 

3” (75mm) Deep Throat (4-1/2") G Clamp Grip Holder Clamp Vice Clamping 2 Pack

Visit the AB Tools Store

£18 for the two and they fitted perfectly. Properly cauled inside and out, no damage in or out. Job's a good 'un..
    @Flip thank you for the clamp info.  If my dedicated bridge clamp does not work, I will check out those from AB Tools.

Everything but the clamp has arrived and I'm looking forward to having a go at the repair. 

Good luck to your wife with her artwork, I had a look at her site and she has some lovely innovative work.